Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Previews #3 - Amulet, Swamp Hag, Hireling  (Read 74739 times)

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
Re: Previews #3 - Amulet, Swamp Hag, Hireling
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2015, 03:29:27 pm »

Swamp hag combos nicely with friendly interaction cards like lost city. Personally I think it looks stronger than people are currently giving it credit for, though probably less strong in the presence of other more direct cursers?
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2015, 03:33:05 pm »
+3

These cards all look interesting, but none of them seem that powerful.

I think the intent might be to make balanced cards, rather than souped-up Goons and Mountebanks, particularly after Rebuild.  :/
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2015, 03:35:45 pm »

Like in every set, there are cards that are going to be powerful and cards that are going to be more situational.  I don't personally think this set is any more centralizing than others, though some may disagree.  There's a good overall power level, I think.  I'd compare it to Dark Ages.  Maybe a few toe the line, but it doesn't actually hurt the game.  It makes things more interesting.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2015, 03:44:45 pm »
+3

Swamp Hag does terrible things to Goons engines.

Not with Watchtower! (where's lio, by the way?)
Ugh, watchtower is too popular, everyone beat me to it :(

Yes, watchtower kills swamp hag, which is why swamp hag seems pretty weak in general.

Watchtower-amulet engine can be decent, but you need a lot of actions... CotR?

hireling huh. Watchtower topdecks it so you can play it ASAP, which is important.

And so I don't have to go to the other thread, haunted woods:

Wow, so, uh, watchtower doesn't counter this one. In fact you can't topdeck cards you buy with watchtower when haunted woods is in play. People beat me to this one too. Here it is folks; haunted woods, the first ever counter to watchtower, and now my least-favorite card. Not really though.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 03:50:11 pm by liopoil »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2015, 03:58:53 pm »

Yes, watchtower kills swamp hag, which is why swamp hag seems pretty weak in general.

I don't really get this (unless it was also part of the tiny-text joke). Moat kills Swamp Hag too. But the vast majority of times that Swamp Hag is on the board, Watchtower will not be. You can't really say a card is weaker just because another card exists, can you?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2015, 04:00:00 pm »

My thoughts on said cards.

Amulet: I think this card is more powerful than many people realize. Being able to split trashing between two turns seems strong, and once its value as a trasher has ran out, you can use it for virtual coin or gain silver. Most trashers lose power once your deck is trashed. Sure, Steward can draw and gain coin, but compared to other trashers, Amulet seems up there.

Swamp Hag: Seems like an overall weaker curser, but that isn't a bad thing. Most cursers in the past are almost must buys, so to have one that you won't want to buy in every game is not a bad thing. Although, I still see this getting bought often, but with this being a duration, it seems an attack that you would need to buy more of than normal.

Hireling: An extra card is reasonably strong. In many Prince games I have played, usually the player who connects his Prince to a draw card first ends up winning. Hireling is sort of like that, but you don't need to go through as many hoops and ladders.

Haunted Woods: I don't have much of an opinion on this yet. In some games, I can actually see it helping the opponent, letting them put down unplayed actions for the next turn. Though, later in the game, it can really get in the way of things. It's probably reasonably strong. Also, drawing +3 cards at the start of a turn is like drawing 4 cards since this is already in play and you start with a 5 card hand, so there is that.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2015, 04:03:07 pm »

I don't really get this (unless it was also part of the tiny-text joke). Moat kills Swamp Hag too. But the vast majority of times that Swamp Hag is on the board, Watchtower will not be. You can't really say a card is weaker just because another card exists, can you?
Yes, that certainly isn't WHY swamp hag is weak. I just like to give credit to watchtower for making it weak for no real reason. In truth it's just weak because it isn't very good.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2015, 04:05:47 pm »

For those that think Swamp Hag is weak, i can't tell for sure as i only playtested my variant (a $4, giving +$2 this turn), but that one was very strong. $5 is much more than $4 (think how much better Witch is than Young Witch), but then again Swamp Hag gives $3, and that's what certain other $5-terminals will often be worth without having this rather mean attack.

Quote from: LastFootnote topic=12880.msg477703#msg477703 date=1427902083
Amulet's my favorite, it's tricky to decide whether you want it and creates little choices even after you buy it.

I hate to be a downer, but in my experience you want Amulet very, very often. It is not weak by a long shot.

Then again I am not a top player, so take that with a grain of salt.

You mean, you want Amulet ALWAYS? Oh no, my Rebuild trauma returns!!

*rolls himself up in the corner*

Oh wait, you can't win a game with Amulet alone. Carry on, then.

Look, Asper: a simple card.  :)

I allready stopped nagging. Storyteller aside, i didn't really critizise any card that was previewed. I even stated that i had the same idea as Swamp Hag before myself. Also i'm not the only one, it seems.
And Haunted Woods - well, i recently pondered posting a Duration card that would let anyone gaining a Victory card put it on top of his deck, and decided against it mostly because i couldn't find a bonus to go with it. I like the Reserves apart from the play-means-not-in-play-do-not-play-means-in-play thing.

I also came to the conclusion that Moat/Duration-Attacks isn't exactly a beautiful interaction, but as Dominion has grown so huge by now, it's not likely to appear in random games anyhow. It's not more likely than, let's say, Ironworks/Trader, and i can't even remember how that one works out. Lighthouse can only become strange with Outpost, Possession and such, as otherwise having a last-turn Lighthouse will always mean you are save, while a this-turn-Lighthouse doesn't. If you can't remember whether your Lighthouse protected you against Swamp Hag, you probably shouldn't play any Durations.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 01, 2015, 04:06:47 pm »

Could Swamp Hag be the second player advantage card?

Player 1 plays Swamp Hag on turn 3.
Player 2 plays Swamp Hag on turn 3 - chooses to not buy anything because he doesn't want a Curse... so he wastes the 4 non-Swamp Hag cards from his hand.
Player 1's turn 4... he has 5 cards plus an extra $3. He's wasting a lot more if he doesn't buy to avoid the Curse.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2015, 04:46:19 pm »
+2

I feel like it'll be obvious when we see the second player advantage card. Donald having to say, "Guys it's Swamp Hag" sounds like the type of strategic advice he doesn't like to give.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2015, 04:49:57 pm »
+8

The second player advantage card is actually Scout... because if both players buy it on Turn 1, Player 1 has to have it for a longer time.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2015, 04:51:07 pm »
+1

What makes you think the second player advantage card is even in the previews?  Keep guessing though, it's entertaining to me.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 01, 2015, 04:57:49 pm »

What makes you think the second player advantage card is even in the previews?  Keep guessing though, it's entertaining to me.

Is it your favorite card?  I was pretty convinced it had to be Lost City, though.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +864
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2015, 05:19:24 pm »

Amulet looks nice and solid.
Swamp Hag, otoh, looks quite annoying, even more so than that other hag. I know people who are gonna hate this. I can hardly believe people had fun games while testing it.
Hireling I like but, as you expected, $6 seems cheap to me. Apparently it's alright, though. In that case, great card!
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2015, 05:21:56 pm »
+1

Swamp Hag, otoh, looks quite annoying, even more so than that other hag. I know people who are gonna hate this. I can hardly believe people had fun games while testing it.

I'm assuming there was alcohol involved.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2015, 05:25:01 pm »
+3

A nice plus of Amulet that I don't think has been mentioned yet is that it leaves you with a 3-card hand on the turn you play it. Most multi-card trashers have the downside that you can't buy anything on the turn you play them (except if there's a good $2 in the kingdom). Amulet dodges this downside. Consider drawing AmCCCE, trashing Estate, and buying Village or even Silver if you need one. That's considerably less awkward than drawing Steward with CCCE, trashing Copper plus Estate, then buying nothing. Amulet may still be a less effective early trasher than Steward because it misses shuffles more easily.

Because it's easy enough to buy a Silver while trashing with Amulet, or even gain one from Amulet if you get really desperate, I don't see much reason to open Amulet/Silver. I think Amulet/Amulet will be the preferred opening when you want to open Amulet. This helps prevent the effect WW was talking about where not playing an Amulet on T3 puts you behind.

Hireling is comparable to Alchemist. In fact, it matches up with the old version of Alchemist mentioned in http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=118.0. I think it will be quite a bit stronger than Alchemist. Like Alchemist, you'll want to skip this sometimes because it's slow, but less often than you skip Alchemist.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2015, 05:31:05 pm »

Even if Swamp Hag is noticeably weaker than other cursers, it could be a nice change of pace given how overwhelming they can be.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2015, 05:47:13 pm »

A nice plus of Amulet that I don't think has been mentioned yet is that it leaves you with a 3-card hand on the turn you play it. Most multi-card trashers have the downside that you can't buy anything on the turn you play them (except if there's a good $2 in the kingdom). Amulet dodges this downside. Consider drawing AmCCCE, trashing Estate, and buying Village or even Silver if you need one. That's considerably less awkward than drawing Steward with CCCE, trashing Copper plus Estate, then buying nothing. Amulet may still be a less effective early trasher than Steward because it misses shuffles more easily.

Because it's easy enough to buy a Silver while trashing with Amulet, or even gain one from Amulet if you get really desperate, I don't see much reason to open Amulet/Silver. I think Amulet/Amulet will be the preferred opening when you want to open Amulet. This helps prevent the effect WW was talking about where not playing an Amulet on T3 puts you behind.

Hireling is comparable to Alchemist. In fact, it matches up with the old version of Alchemist mentioned in http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=118.0. I think it will be quite a bit stronger than Alchemist. Like Alchemist, you'll want to skip this sometimes because it's slow, but less often than you skip Alchemist.

But would Amulet/Amulet be better than Steward/Steward?  What about Steward/Amulet?

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1399
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2015, 06:30:43 pm »

Amulet/Amulet vs Amulet/Steward depends on the other engine components available.  If there's a lot of village action, a Steward is better.  If it's more on the BM side of things or there's other actions you also want to be playing and not a huge amount of village support, the 2nd Amulet is better.

In general I don't think Amulet will be ignored much, like Forager it's one of those cards you usually want to get 1 whenever you see it.  But it does depend on the board, and sure it's more skippable than a Masquerade or Ambassador.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 06:32:12 pm by Gherald »
My opponent has more loot than me

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2015, 06:37:11 pm »

But would Amulet/Amulet be better than Steward/Steward?  What about Steward/Amulet?

They both trash the same, but I think Amulet/Amulet would be better because you get more buying power when you use it to trash. If Steward is the only draw, you can pick it up later on, I think.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2015, 08:36:52 pm »
+2

I love that Hireling gives a permanent discount to Peddler/bonus to HoP.
Probably not the most important aspect of the card, but it's those little synergies that I love the most about Dominion.

SheCanSayNo

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +67
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 01, 2015, 09:14:28 pm »
+6

Now that I'm the new official SheCan(t)SayNo, I'll give everybody my valuable insight on these cards.

Amulet: One of the strongest cards in the game. You can gain two Silvers every time you play it! I'm guessing the other two options are just there so that the card isn't dead once the Silvers run out. This doesn't hold a candle to Trader or Masterpiece, but it's still likely to be the best Silver gainer on the board. Usually you want to win this split.

Swamp Hag: A strong attack. If your opponent plays this once, you gain a Curse for every Silver you buy. Luckily the Curses will run out long before the Silvers, but it still hurts. I predict Amulet will be a great counter, allowing you to gain Silvers without buying them.

Hireling: Extra insurance to make sure you draw enough Silvers to buy a Province. I'd say you usually want one or two of these, but after that your $6 hands should be spent on Silvers.

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2015, 09:21:17 pm »
+2

Amulet: One of the strongest cards in the game. You can gain two Silvers every time you play it! I'm guessing the other two options are just there so that the card isn't dead once the Silvers run out. This doesn't hold a candle to Trader or Masterpiece, but it's still likely to be the best Silver gainer on the board. Usually you want to win this split.

You can also use it to trash two Feoda to gain six silvers!

SheCanSayNo

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +67
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2015, 09:22:55 pm »
+3

* SheCanSayNo passes out

You just blew my mind.

Rubby

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2015, 09:24:29 pm »
+6

Huge dilemma, though: at the $3 price point, it competes with Silver!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.