Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Preview: Transmogrify  (Read 94933 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
Re: Preview: Transmogrify
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2015, 03:15:48 pm »

Awesome card. Glad to see the interactions with watchtower are already being explored.

Tranmogrify, Trash card A, Gain Card B, Reveal Watchtower to place Card B on top of your deck, lose track of Card B with Transmogrify.  Now B is safely on top of your deck to draw with your Minion.

Synergy. 

(Obviously, Card B is terminal, and you only had a single Minion with no other Actions save Watchtower.  And your opponent had 5 cards in hand, and you needed to make sure you made him discard them.)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 03:18:06 pm by Witherweaver »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2015, 03:17:21 pm »
+1

How does it combine with Scout?

If someone Swindles or Ambassadors you a Scout, you can Transmogrify it into something actually useful.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2015, 03:18:46 pm »
+1

Awesome card. Glad to see the interactions with watchtower are already being explored.

Tranmogrify, Trash card A, Gain Card B, Reveal Watchtower to place Card B on top of your deck, lose track of Card B with Transmogrify.  Now B is safely on top of your deck to draw with your Minion.

Synergy. 
Well obviously. I was thinking about more subtle things, like it decreasing handsize.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2015, 03:19:18 pm »
+4

How does it combine with Scout?

If someone Swindles or Ambassadors you a Scout, you can Transmogrify it into something actually useful.

Oh come on, think outside the box.

Transmogrify a $5 into Nobles.  Reveal Watchtower to put Nobles on top of your deck.  Play Scout to draw Nobles.  Combos with both Watchtower and Scout!!!

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2015, 03:22:46 pm »
+1

Now I can't wait to see the card that helps P2...
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2015, 03:23:14 pm »
+7

So..
Am I only one who is excited we have a Calvin&Hobbes card?

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2015, 03:26:01 pm »

So, I always thought Bill Watterson had made up this word until I looked it up just now...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2015, 03:27:26 pm »

That was Lost City.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2015, 03:28:13 pm »
+1

That was Lost City.

I doubt that. How often are you going to open with Lost City? Often enough it'll be a Moat during your second shuffle.

BraveBear

• Bishop
  • Respect: +97
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2015, 03:32:08 pm »

It makes the possibility of randomly losing the game because of bad draws way smaller.

So I would say this is true of most reserve cards (Guide <3 <3 <3) but it's much less true of Transmogrify; since it's a trasher that's likely to miss shuffles.

I'm guessing the "put into hand" part will make missing shuffles not hurt so bad.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2015, 03:32:51 pm »
+1

What happens if you Transmogrify into Nomad Camp?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2015, 03:33:58 pm »

It goes on top of your deck.  Nomad Camp triggers on-gain. 

Edit: I believe I was wrong, but I wanted to state it with confidence so I phrased it in the "I know what I'm talking about" tone.  Which I always suggest, especially when you don't know what you're talking about.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 03:51:02 pm by Witherweaver »

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2015, 03:36:17 pm »
+1

Nomad Camp doesn't "trigger on-gain" in the sense of other things that trigger on-gain; you don't gain Nomad Camp and then put it on top of your deck. It just moves directly to your deck-top when you gain it.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2015, 03:36:51 pm »

Nomad Camp doesn't "trigger on-gain" in the sense of other things that trigger on-gain; you don't gain Nomad Camp and then put it on top of your deck. It just moves directly to your deck-top when you gain it.

Which would mean, since the put-in-hand happens after gaining, Transmogrify should lose track of Nomad Camp when you gain it.  It goes on top of your deck.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2015, 03:38:41 pm »

Oh actually, I just noticed Transmogrify has different wording than other cards: Explorer says "Gain a Silver card, putting it into your hand", and Transmogrify says "gain a card… and put that card into your hand", as two steps. So now I think Nomad Camp ends up in your hand with Transmogrify.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2015, 03:39:00 pm »

I'm not sure I understand the difference.  I think that if you had a "When you gain a card, you may..." reaction with Nomad Camp, you could choose the order right?

As I'm reading it, Transmogrify does three things separately:  Trash a card (resolve all reactions).  Gain a card (resolve all reactions).  Put gained card in hand.  I would think Nomad Camp's effect falls into the "resolve all reactions" part of "Gain a card".

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2015, 03:41:11 pm »

I'm not sure I understand the difference.  I think that if you had a "When you gain a card, you may..." reaction with Nomad Camp, you could choose the order right?

No. "When you gain a card, you may…" effects happen after the card is gained. Nomad Camp lands on the deck as it is gained; when when-gain effects trigger, Nomad Camp is already on top of your deck.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2015, 03:44:00 pm »
+1

Which would mean, since the put-in-hand happens after gaining, Transmogrify should lose track of Nomad Camp when you gain it.  It goes on top of your deck.

I disagree. Transmogrify doesn't lose track of Nomad Camp because nothing moves it between when it is gained and when Transmogrify tries to move it. Compare: you can play Explorer and use Watchtower to trash the incoming Silver; the fact that Explorer sends the Silver to a non-standard gain location doesn't make Watchtower lose track of it.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2015, 03:45:29 pm »

That was Lost City.

I doubt that. How often are you going to open with Lost City? Often enough it'll be a Moat during your second shuffle.
It doesn't have to be purchased in the opening to help P2. P1 getting Lost City boosts a P2 turn that is earlier than the turn P1 would have boosted if P2 got it on the next turn. This assumes that having an extra card is on average better earlier in the game than later

But really, this advantage may be so minor in practice that it won't really be considered a P2 advantage unless P1 opens with Lost City .
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 03:46:44 pm by markusin »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2015, 03:46:37 pm »

No. "When you gain a card, you may…" effects happen after the card is gained. Nomad Camp lands on the deck as it is gained; when when-gain effects trigger, Nomad Camp is already on top of your deck.

Huh.  Has this issue come up before?

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2015, 03:48:43 pm »
+2

Huh.  Has this issue come up before?

Yes. I don't remember when and why, but i can confirm that Donald clearly stated Nomad Camp is not moved from your discard pile to the top of your deck, but instead gained directly to your deck. I think it was some discussion about Watchtower, topdecking, lose track, etc.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2015, 03:49:45 pm »
+1

I disagree. Transmogrify doesn't lose track of Nomad Camp because nothing moves it between when it is gained and when Transmogrify tries to move it. Compare: you can play Explorer and use Watchtower to trash the incoming Silver; the fact that Explorer sends the Silver to a non-standard gain location doesn't make Watchtower lose track of it.

Okay, I think I agree with you now.  I was imaging Nomad Camp goes Gain -> Discard Pile -> Move to Deck, but it just goes Gain to Deck immediately.  So then Transmogrify would "expect" it to be on top of your deck, and it is, so hooray, put it in your hand?

PPE: I found a BGG thread that had the question.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1399
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2015, 03:55:02 pm »
+13

I transmogrify my Woodcutter to gain a Nomad Camp, putting it into my hand.
My opponent has more loot than me

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2015, 03:58:07 pm »
+3

Woo-hoo, i always hoped for a Fantasy themed expansion.

Alchemy is a fantasy-themed expansion.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2015, 04:09:52 pm »
+4

You can reveal Watchtower to trash a gained Nomad Camp. This is because after Nomad Camp was gained, it's exactly where Watchtower expects it to be, which is on top of your deck. Watchtower isn't automatically looking in the discard pile for gained cards, it's looking for wherever those cards were gained to.

With Transmogrify, it should work exactly the same. Transmogrify moves the card from where it expects it to be (on top of your deck) to your hand.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.