Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Preview: Transmogrify  (Read 94609 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Preview: Transmogrify
« on: March 31, 2015, 01:59:14 pm »
+30

trans•mog•ri•fy: verb
– transform, especially in a surprising or magical manner.

Today I’m here to tell you about my favorite Dominion card: Transmogrify. It has a strange name, but packs a lot of versatility. Transmogrify is all about giving you what you need right now. Does your starting hand have three terminal Actions? Poof! Now one of them is a Village. Have your Magpies been multiplying out of control? Abracadabra! One of them just became a Lost City. Have all the Curses run out? Shazam! That Witch in your hand just turned to Gold. The possibilities are endless!

It’s a terrific card for combos. Instead of buying Tournaments, you can simply keep your Transmogrify on your Tavern mat until your Province shows up and then gain that Tournament right into your hand. It’s especially powerful with cards that have on-trash abilities. You can transmogrify a Cultist into another Cultist just to draw 3 cards. And when you Transmogrify a Fortress, you keep the Fortress in your hand and gain a Wharf into your hand on top of that. Instant engine!

I hope you’re enjoying these little bonus previews. Come back tomorrow, when somebody else will be talking about some other card!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: Preview: Transmogrify
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 02:00:48 pm »

Finally!  This was the one card from the meetup I didn't fully memorize.

Also, no idea how the Germans are going to translate this one - the closest thing is "Verwandlung", but that's already in use for Transmute.  :/

Cool card, though!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 02:02:53 pm »
+8

Guys. Guys.

This card is SO FUN.

It's pretty much the only card I remember from the meetup in detail, because I just kept buying them, and using them, and having fun, and losing (to Big Money). Didn't care.

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 02:04:01 pm »
+1

Wow, you highlighted some really interesting uses. I want this.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 02:05:43 pm »
+6

High fun, high skill.  Transmogrify is a really special card.  Celestial Chameleon, get to work.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

hvb

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: HvBoedefeld
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 02:07:45 pm »
+1

Wow. That looks like a LOT OF FUN

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 02:08:38 pm »
+8

Wow, you highlighted some really interesting uses. I want this.

For some reason, playing with Transmogrify makes me feel like a mad scientist. I have cackled out loud on several occasions after making what I perceived as a brilliant play with this card.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 02:10:47 pm »

One thing LF didn't elaborate on: Transmogrify doesn't care what kind of card you trash or change things to.  That means you can gain Victory cards as well.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 02:12:54 pm »
+1

One thing LF didn't elaborate on: Transmogrify doesn't care what kind of card you trash or change things to.  That means you can gain Victory cards as well.

Sure, but what fun is that? Gaining Actions into your hand is where it's at.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 02:13:53 pm »
+2

That's why you use it for Nobles!

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 02:14:07 pm »
+9

Well, every now and then winning a game is fun.  But I agree that making silly combos is generally better.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 02:14:49 pm »

This was another one of my favorites. I had a lot of fun just buying lots of them, and then Transmogrifying my Transmogrifies to get exactly what I needed on that turn.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Sidsel

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 02:16:14 pm »
+2

I'll be happy to change the boring Expand into a Province if my Tournament is already waiting in hand.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 02:16:32 pm »

Well, every now and then winning a game is fun.  But I agree that making silly combos is generally better.

:P

But in all seriousness, although you obviously will sometimes be gaining Victory cards with Transmogrify, that's not where it shines. Unless that Victory card is a Province to activate your Tournament or Explorer, you're not really utilizing Transmogrify's full potential.

Blueswan

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 02:17:23 pm »
+1

Gotta love this card. An instant favourite. This expansion is gonna be awesome.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 02:17:46 pm »

Hmm... there's starting to get to be a lot of crazy stuff that can happen at the start of the turn.  You can draw quite a bit with Durations already to further fuel Transmogrify, and of course Prince could be doing just about anything.  And then the other Reserve cards.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 02:18:51 pm »

:P

But in all seriousness, although you obviously will sometimes be gaining Victory cards with Transmogrify, that's not where it shines. Unless that Victory card is a Province to activate your Tournament or Explorer, you're not really utilizing Transmogrify's full potential.

The cost range also makes it a lot more difficult to Remodel into Provinces, making it even more suited to engine building.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 02:20:08 pm »
+1

I'm going to be the boring person and point out that Transmorgify opening lets you turn an Estate into a Silver, which is +$2 on that turn while doing that Upgrade, and that's super nice.

Although, you need to draw it T3 to use it on T4, so who knows how that's going to go.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 02:21:03 pm »
+1

Does this fulfill the "Remodel into hand" dream?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2015, 02:21:31 pm »
+2

I just thought of a use case that I never tried at the meetup... if you have multiple of these in your Tavern, then you can get more than +$1 cost for the thing you trash... With 2 of them, you can turn that Silver into a Witch (as long as $4s exist). Due to rareness of $7s, it will still be hard to gain Provinces this way.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2015, 02:22:51 pm »
+24

I'm disappointed the art isn't an upside down cardboard box.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2015, 02:23:19 pm »
+1

I'm going to be the boring person and point out that Transmorgify opening lets you turn an Estate into a Silver, which is +$2 on that turn while doing that Upgrade, and that's super nice.

Although, you need to draw it T3 to use it on T4, so who knows how that's going to go.

But wait, there's more! You can look at your hand and, depending on whether you already have a terminal Action in it, decide whether to upgrade into a Silver or e.g. a Swindler. Sure that might not be what your deck needs long-term, but you can turn that Swindler (or another terminal Action) into something else later! Min/max your turns!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2015, 02:23:37 pm »

I just thought of a use case that I never tried at the meetup... if you have multiple of these in your Tavern, then you can get more than +$1 cost for the thing you trash... With 2 of them, you can turn that Silver into a Witch (as long as $4s exist). Due to rareness of $7s, it will still be hard to gain Provinces this way.

The one problem (and why it can cost $4 when Mine costs $5, aside from Mine's cost change) is that it's slow, like most Reserves, honestly.  You have to play it, call it, then wait for the next shuffle to play it again.  The mitigating factor is that you don't have to worry about it colliding in hand, since you can just wait for a good target.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2015, 02:23:42 pm »
+20

I'm disappointed the art isn't an upside down cardboard box.

That was Donald's prototype art.

hvb

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: HvBoedefeld
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2015, 02:25:28 pm »

I question myself if the Reserve cards lean towards "Fantasy" thematically or is it coincidence?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 20 queries.