Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  All

Author Topic: Previews #2 - Guide, Duplicate, Coin of the Realm  (Read 120794 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Re: Previews #2 - Guide, Duplicate, Coin of the Realm
« Reply #150 on: March 31, 2015, 01:01:07 pm »

Princing a Guide gives the exact same effect as just playing the Guide, except for moving the +1 Action to another turn.  You sacrifice a card draw on one turn to draw one more on the next.  And all that was worth wasting your Prince?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 31, 2015, 01:04:46 pm »

Princing a Guide gives the exact same effect as just playing the Guide, except for moving the +1 Action to another turn.  You sacrifice a card draw on one turn to draw one more on the next.  And all that was worth wasting your Prince?

Interestingly, it's not that hard to think of edge cases for this one. Of course the same could go for Fishing Village or Caravan. But if you know that your next hand will have 2 very important terminals and no Village, you could totally want to do that.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 31, 2015, 01:06:20 pm »

Interestingly, it's not that hard to think of edge cases for this one. Of course the same could go for Fishing Village or Caravan. But if you know that your next hand will have 2 very important terminals and no Village, you could totally want to do that.

But in most cases, if you're desperate enough for a village to Prince a cantrip... why not just use Prince as the "village" and Prince your terminals?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 31, 2015, 01:07:04 pm »
+1

So my understanding of 'At the start of your turn...' was gather up all the supplies you need to start your turn (Tactician draw, durations, guide redraw, etc.) then when you do Prince's 'start of your turn' you play a card for free. Once you've played a card you are no longer at the start of your turn, but now are in the Action phase. Therefore, I think that you should not be able to call the Guide that you just played via Prince and placed onto the Tavern mat into play because you've played a card, even when playing that card was at the start of your turn. Prince's 'start of your turn' would be the last thing you do before your turn starts, wouldn't it?

No, that's not correct. There's a bunch of things you can do "at the start of your turn":

Do the second half of a Duration card
Do the second half of Horse Traders' reaction
Play a Princed card
Call a Guide

These all happen "at the same time", and so you can do them in any order; you can play the Princed card before or after drawing from your Caravan, putting your Horse Traders in hand, etc.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 31, 2015, 01:08:22 pm »
+1

But in most cases, if you're desperate enough for a village to Prince a cantrip... why not just use Prince as the "village" and Prince your terminals?

Well yeah in most cases it's a bad move. But you can't just Prince your terminals to get around my situation... for one, the terminals are in your next hand, not your current hand. And for another, the Terminals are quite likely to cost more than $4 if they're that important. Also, you pretty much would only do this near the very end of a game, when it's too late to make good use of Prince otherwise. Like if you know you need to play 2 Goons next turn to pile out and win. I'm NOT suggesting buying the Prince with this intent. If you're in this situation, Prince was probably a bad choice.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 01:10:09 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Moneymodel

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 31, 2015, 01:32:34 pm »
+1

These cards. Clicking. So....much.....clicking.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2015, 01:44:37 pm »

Phew, glad those are what i expected. I'm okay with events. The Treasure-Village had me worried for a while.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 31, 2015, 01:51:42 pm »

Phew, glad those are what i expected. I'm okay with events. The Treasure-Village had me worried for a while.

Not too complex for you?  ;)

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2015, 01:52:54 pm »

So...time for Card 4 today, right?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 31, 2015, 01:54:33 pm »
+1

So...time for Card 4 today, right?

I've been PMing our poster - they should be putting it up soon.

EDIT: In five minutes!

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +324
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 31, 2015, 01:57:48 pm »

Were the posters announced?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 31, 2015, 01:58:30 pm »
+1

I've been PMing our poster - they should be putting it up soon.

EDIT: In five minutes!

I'm just watching the minutes tick down. Doot dee doo…

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 31, 2015, 02:02:05 pm »

Were the posters announced?

No. Wero and I were just chatting about some of the cards since he knows them from the DC meetup. The rest of the previewers will be a surprise.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 31, 2015, 02:02:28 pm »
+1

I just had a thought, you could also say: "At (condition), you may Call this to: A, B, and C", or differently depending on your feeling on Oxford commas.  Maybe "At (condition), you may Call this to: A" looks weird but I think it parses fine.  Okay okay, dead horse beat.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #164 on: March 31, 2015, 02:04:26 pm »
+4

Guys, cut, this, out, nobody, cares, about, commas,
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 31, 2015, 02:05:48 pm »

Guy's, cut, thi's, out, nobody, care's, about, comma's,

!, !

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 31, 2015, 02:16:23 pm »

Did anyone bring up Guide-Outpost yet?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 31, 2015, 02:16:52 pm »

I did!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 31, 2015, 02:20:42 pm »
+5

I did!

I like it.  An Outpost can let you explore distant lands, but those distant lands may be confusing and hard to navigate.  Better if you have a Guide.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 31, 2015, 02:25:51 pm »

I did!

I like it.  An Outpost can let you explore distant lands, but those distant lands may be confusing and hard to navigate.  Better if you have a Guide.

I think Guide/Outpost has very positive synergy, but I'm not sure if it fully qualifies as a combo.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 31, 2015, 02:33:47 pm »
+1

I did!

I think Guide/Outpost has very positive synergy, but I'm not sure if it fully qualifies as a combo.

I dunno.. you want to have your engine firing even on the Outpost turns.  With a couple of these, you can almost guarantee it.  And you can choose after seeing your hand, of course, so if the three cards can get things going, keep them.  If not, there's a good chance the next five will.  What's the difference between synergy and combo again?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 31, 2015, 02:44:50 pm »

I did!

I dunno.. you want to have your engine firing even on the Outpost turns.  With a couple of these, you can almost guarantee it.  And you can choose after seeing your hand, of course, so if the three cards can get things going, keep them.  If not, there's a good chance the next five will.  What's the difference between synergy and combo again?

Synergy - they work well together.  Combo - these two cards either win on their own, or are the shining centerpiece of a strategy.  Is Guide/Outpost strong enough to win on its own?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 31, 2015, 02:46:14 pm »
+1

Ah, well, no, you need something to do with your Outpost turn.... and something to do with your normal turn.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 31, 2015, 02:48:00 pm »
+1

Not too complex for you?  ;)

I don't mind complexity. I mind when complexity weights heavier than the effect it has. That's not the case with Events Reserve cards, as the same complexity (calling, putting in play without getting the on-play bonus) gets distributed between a bunch of effects. I still stand with specific points i critizised at a certain card before, but that said, maybe i'll grow more fond of it the more of the set gets revealed. It's not like i want every Dominion card to be Village or Smithy.

Edited because i mixed up Reserves with Events. Calling Events seems kind of implausible, too.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 02:57:11 pm by Asper »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 31, 2015, 02:49:26 pm »
+1

I don't mind complexity. I mind when complexity weights heavier than the effect it has. That's not the case with Events Reserve cards, as the same complexity (calling, putting in play without getting the on-play bonus) gets distributed between a bunch of effects. I still stand with specific points i critizised at a certain card before, but that said, maybe i'll grow more fond of it the more of the set gets revealed. It's not like i want every Dominion card to be Village or Smithy.

Fixed that for you.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  All

Page created in 2.032 seconds with 20 queries.