Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10  All

Author Topic: Preview: Storyteller  (Read 116094 times)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4385
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Preview: Storyteller
« on: March 30, 2015, 12:30:07 pm »
+32

I’ve got a preview card to discuss today, and I’m not one who likes drawn-out introductions, so let’s get right to it:

Storyteller: Action, $5
+1 Action
+$1
Play up to 3 Treasures from your hand. Pay all of your $; +1 Card per $ paid.

First, a couple of notes for clarity: You don't have to play treasures if you don't want to, but you DO have to spend all the $ you've collected over the course of the turn, including the money from the treasures you're playing, the $ from this card, as well as any you've made from previous actions. 

Full disclosure: I haven't tested or played with this card at all, so this is an article of conjecture and of theory-crafting not one built from experience.

The first thing I noticed when I saw this card was that it was another way, besides Black Market, of getting treasures in play during the action phase. Now, some of the Black Market Combos - mostly draw-to-X variants, and Tactician, - aren't "on" here. But some of them – Quarry+gainer, using Horn Of Plenty mid-turn - still do work.

Anyway, these are only fringe benefits - the pet tricks I love and relish, but not, I am guessing, the bulk of what the card's work is. That, namely, is to turn cash into cards. Coppers turn into cantrips, Silvers turn into labs, and Golds turn into double labs. This is, in general, an improvement in every case. And all of this is on a card which is a cantrip by itself. The drawback, of course, is that if you are using this to draw your deck, you are sapping some of the money out of that deck. Still, this really gets your draw going quickly, which is especially potent in the early stages of the game.

Most cards are fairly simple to play once they're in your deck - you just play all your villages and non-terminals first, draw cards before non-draw, and go. But I expect this card will be very tricky to play during the mid- and late-game. You need to know exactly how much money to funnel into it to get the draw you need (need to know how much draw you need for that as well) while still making sure you have enough money left to buy what you need come end of turn. I also want to point out potential anti-synergies with Peddler variants (and Conspirator variants): it may look like this is non-terminal draw/sifting (and it is), and that cantrip-money-based decks seem to love that kind of card. Normally they do, but if you draw this card late in your turn, you might be forced into not playing it at all, because it would sap you of too much money. You can mitigate that some by simply feeding fewer/worse treasures into this, but it's not as much of a pure success as it might at first glance seem.

Ultimately this IS a sifter, with a little bit of non-terminal draw thrown in. Discarding coppers with this is like cellar plus a card; more expensive treasures get you a little more.

What kinds of decks want this? Well, engines would prefer other sifters once they are running, since this one costs economy, but Storyteller does help a lot in getting them running, and this is generally a higher-priority issue. It's worth noting that strong trashing will probably more or less obsolete the need for Storytelling.

Terminal draw Big Money will obviously not like this. The same is true of slogs, since unlike other sifters, this can't get rid of non-treasures. Decks which are somewhere between money decks and engines - decks where treasure is good but you'd really like to play a key action or a couple of key actions very often - seem like ideal homes for this card. Those decks exist now, but they rarely get a chance to shine, being squeezed by often-more-powerful engines and often-faster Big Money strategies. Perhaps Storyteller will allow them to shine more often. In general, you want your payload to be something which is happening at the end of your turn, and not interspersed in the middle. Treasure has this quality, but it’s not the only thing. Many mega-turn strategies like Bridge and Horn Of Plenty don’t care about traditional money. They’ll work particularly nicely with Storyteller.

As for strength, I am going to guess that this card will end up being powerful, but $5 is a price-point with a high bar. Ultimately, we're dealing with a situational card here, so on the right board, in the right spot, it will be something you want to jump on hard, but other times it will not have the impact required for its cost. In other words, the exact thing which is my favorite kind of card.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 01:55:29 pm by WanderingWinder »

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
Re: Preview: Storyteller
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 12:33:31 pm »

Why does she look away from the audience?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 12:37:06 pm »
+2

I initially hated this picture, but I have come to appreciate how funny it is.

As for the card, I would consider it one of the most complicated cards in the game to play correctly. (it would have made my list in that other thread about this)  It's a fascinating one for sure.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

tastor

• Scout
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 12:41:11 pm »
+4

If she is in like a village market/town square type place putting on this puppet show there are likely people all around her. You are looking at her from the POV of the other half of the audience.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 12:43:05 pm »
+2

Storyteller might be my favorite card in the set. And I'm almost sure I played it terribly every time.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 12:46:20 pm »
+1

I initially hated this picture, but I have come to appreciate how funny it is.

Well, I like the art.  I must say, been rather impressed with it so far.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 12:46:56 pm »
+4

Something to note is that, unlike with Stables and Cellar, the treasures used to fuel draw are put into play rather than the discard, never to be drawn again later in the turn (unless Mandarin is gained). So, it really cuts into your buying power potential on the turn treasures are played for draw and you draw your deck. This means you probably want to have something better to do than just generate money after you draw your deck. You're looking for megaturns, vicious attacks, multi-gains, and/or specific combos.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 12:49:20 pm »
+3

My first thought is: "I don't like it!"  Which is to say, "I don't know how to use it correctly!"

Markusin's points seem good.

Oh: I wonder if bots will go in fun circles with Secret Chamber/Storeroom and Storyteller.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 12:51:02 pm by Witherweaver »

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 12:51:13 pm »
+3

Storyteller isn't obsoleted by strong trashing, though strong trashing might enable a less finicky draw engine. But Storyteller improves with any sort of trashing, so that you have high value treasures in hand with it.

Depending on the board of course, strong trashing can allow you to build insane engines with Storyteller. Big, big stuff.

Sidsel

• Bishop
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 12:52:04 pm »
+2

When you Pay, are the cards technically still in play? So coppers played and paid to the Storyteller will still hinder buying a Grand Market later in your turn?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 12:53:14 pm »
+4

When you Pay, are the cards technically still in play? So coppers played and paid to the Storyteller will still hinder buying a Grand Market later in your turn?
Yes, those Coppers are still in play.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4385
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 12:58:27 pm »

Storyteller isn't obsoleted by strong trashing, though strong trashing might enable a less finicky draw engine. But Storyteller improves with any sort of trashing, so that you have high value treasures in hand with it.

Depending on the board of course, strong trashing can allow you to build insane engines with Storyteller. Big, big stuff.

True. I thought about this this morning (after I wrote the article, before I posted it). This can still get the draw done. I guess the point is more, this is worse in comparison to other draw engines if strong trashing if they and strong trashing are all available. That is a lot of ifs, I grant.

Village + Smithy = Storyteller + Gold. I think I'd rather have the former most of the time.

xitoliv

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 12:59:02 pm »
+3

So if I tell a story about some copper, and then Coppersmith, do those coppers I was telling you about retroactively produce an extra +$1 to buy something with?

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 01:02:45 pm »

Trashing has still got to be good for the usual reasons. You don't want to feed Gold and Silver to this to draw Coppers and Estates. You also want to maximize your chances of drawing Storyteller in the first place if it's your key draw card.

I like how the treasures are put into play, meaning you won't redraw those treasures if you reshuffle while drawing with this like you would with Cellar.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 01:04:50 pm »
+2

So if I tell a story about some copper, and then Coppersmith, do those coppers I was telling you about retroactively produce an extra +$1 to buy something with?

No. Same with Black Market + Coppersmith.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 01:05:06 pm »
+8

"Let me tell you a story about Silvers that are like Labs..."

Man, I'm all ears!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 01:08:16 pm »
+2

I think the takeaway is that Storyteller likes engines where your payload isn't Treasures (well, it also likes Treasures that do other stuff, like Quarry).  You don't mind sacrificing your Golds to the babbling puppeteer, so long as you can get your Count/Altar/Goons/etc into your hand.

EDIT: Also, unlike Cellar, there's no chance of undesirable cards getting shuffled back into your deck mid-turn.

EDIT2: If I play a Venture with Storyteller, and that puts a 4th (or more) Treasure in play, does that also count towards Storyteller's draw?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 01:10:49 pm by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 01:09:28 pm »

Eh, probably will be answered in "Secret Histories", but why is it limited to 3 Treasures?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 01:10:29 pm »
+1

"Let me tell you a story about Silvers that are like Labs..."

Man, I'm all ears!

Story Teller: Silver is no longer a junk card. You are welcome.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 01:17:47 pm by Witherweaver »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 01:13:45 pm »
+1

True. I thought about this this morning (after I wrote the article, before I posted it). This can still get the draw done. I guess the point is more, this is worse in comparison to other draw engines if strong trashing if they and strong trashing are all available. That is a lot of ifs, I grant.

Village + Smithy = Storyteller + Gold. I think I'd rather have the former most of the time.

True. Although that ratio looks better if you play three Treasures. Also, the Storyteller and Gold are way better when they don't collide than Village and Smithy (assuming Storyteller collides with any cash).

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2015, 01:15:31 pm »
+3

Eh, probably will be answered in "Secret Histories", but why is it limited to 3 Treasures?
Power level.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 01:25:26 pm »

Power level.

I are need more explain :(

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 01:27:50 pm »
+2

Oh man, I just realized how good Storyteller can be for helping incorporate Bank into your engine.

Edit: Bank as payload that is, not as draw.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 01:34:34 pm by markusin »

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2015, 01:29:15 pm »
+5

Power level.

I are need more explain :(
That's already more strategy advice than I like to give.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2015, 01:30:05 pm »
+9

Finally a card with a dragon!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 20 queries.