Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Wedding Card  (Read 5412 times)

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
Wedding Card
« on: December 27, 2011, 12:02:14 pm »
+1

So I've got an anniversary coming up with my wife--who I met playing Dominion--and as part of the celebration I want to create a card named Wedding. I have never created a card before and thought I would use the genius minds here in this forum to help me.

So the main idea I wanted to use here is one of a wedding, so big--outlandish, with guest involvement and everyone gets something--just like in a wedding everyone gets cake!  Also since getting married is a risk, I thought the wedding card should be a big risky. I know that designing a card around a name violates one of rinkwork's rules for card design, but given the situation I thought he would forgive me.

So, here is my initial idea, feel free to critique and suggest as I am new at this and would like it to turn into a card that we could play with.

Wedding
Cost $8

When you buy this card, gain another card costing $5 or less.
If you trash this card,
+6$, +Buy, all other players may trash a card from their hand.

I wanted this card to cost $8 because it seemed like it should be a risk to go for this instead of going for a province, but it is offset somewhat by getting a $5 card at least.

And while I know some of the concern about one-shot cards, Donald seems to like them more than the rest of us--I like the idea because a wedding should be a one time event.

Is the +6 too much? Too little? I think this card would only be bought early game or in situations at end game where a player is behind and would buy Duchies anyways when they have 8+.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: Wedding Card
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 12:08:48 pm »

I'm not sure that trashing your wedding is all that thematic ...

How about:

Wedding
$8
Action

Each person may reveal a card from their hand.  You may gain any or all of the revealed cards into your hand; each person that you take a card from draws 2 cards.
---
When you buy this card, put a Wedding token in front of you.  If you have at least one Wedding token in front of you, +1 Action at the start of your turn.

DrHades

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 08:13:58 pm »
+2

I really like thoery's "present giving" idea! This might be a bit too silly, but...

Wedding
$8
Action

+1 Action
+1 Card
Each other player reveals a card from his hand. You may gain any or all of the revealed cards into your hand; each player that you take a card from draws 2 cards.
---
When you gain this, if you are a man gain a Witch, if you are a woman gain a Mountebank (this card doesn't need to be in the supply).

It's a bit black humor, I hope you won't consider this offensive  ;D

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 08:49:49 pm »
+1

Each person may reveal a card from their hand.  You may gain any or all of the revealed cards into your hand; each person that you take a card from draws 2 cards.

So would this be an attack, as in the person revealing the card loses it? Or is it more like a Tribute in that the person revealing discards it and the wedding player gains a copy of the card from the supply?

I like the idea of drawing cards. Thanks!

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 09:20:32 pm »

It's not an attack, because the revealing portion is optional.

It's kind of like you choosing who to invite to your wedding based on the gifts that they bring.

I think it would be fitting to have something on the card thematically representing a divorce, but that's probably in bad taste given your circumstances.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 12:27:57 pm »

I would imagine that it should be a Thief-like mechanic.

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 04:04:52 pm »

The wedding should do something.  Maybe "+1 VP, +1 action, gain an action costing up to $5" when played?  $8 seems hard to justify and trashing it for a sudden flood of wealth is hard to pull off in a context where all that setup would be worth it.

Rename it to "royal marriage" in that case.  Gaining it represents the wedding, trashing a divorce, playing it an enduring bond.

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 07:02:44 pm »

I guess it depends on the type of people you are, and if you think she would more appreciate a card that could actually work as a real dominion card, or a card that is goofy or has a deeper meaning. I quite like the "gain or mountebank or witch" idea presented earlier. If you wanted to go with something really cheesy, you could have it gain a lifetime of happiness token or something like that.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 08:10:26 pm »

I like theory's idea. I'm having a hard time imagining what I'd generally want to do in response to it. I do think, tough, that it's unfortunately political and will rarely help you with the actual gaining effect (it essentially lets other players give you a card, that they want, turning it into a one shot lab. Hm, actually, I guess any $3 or $4 will often be accepted in a 3+ player game, but again, it is still political).

I feel like I should mention, my currently in playtesting fan expansion has a card called wedding, which currently looks like this:

Wedding
Action - $4
Choose one: Trash two cards. If you do, gain a Duchy, putting it on your deck. OR Trash two victory cards. If you do, gain a Gold.

I'm not 100% happy with it currently, but the thematic idea is that you combine the stuff of you and another person (trashing two cards) and get something expensive out of it. Mechanically, it's main problem is right after the first shuffle, where getting a gold while trashing two estates is super powerful while trashing say an estate and copper for a duchy on deck is meh.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 10:48:16 pm »

Mechanically, it's main problem is right after the first shuffle, where getting a gold while trashing two estates is super powerful while trashing say an estate and copper for a duchy on deck is meh.

You can try doing a Forge thing where you gain a Treasure card costing up to the total value of the trashed Victory cards (so you can trash 2 Estates for a Silver, but in order to gain a Gold you have to trash at least a Duchy and an Estate).

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 11:08:32 pm »

That sounds like a good idea. I could even do the same thing with the general trashing effect, or even simplify the card using it (e.g. something like 'trash two cards. Gain a treasure card costing at most the sum of the costs of the trashed cards in coins').

But that might be a little weak. Time to adjust and go back to playtesting.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.439 seconds with 21 queries.