Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92]  All

Author Topic: RMM23: Deus Ex Machina (Town Wins!)  (Read 191302 times)

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
Re: RMM23: Deus Ex Machina (Town Wins!)
« Reply #2275 on: April 07, 2015, 10:23:10 pm »

Yeah, I think governing me was probably the right call. After ash's flip, it made faust much trustworthier (but of course you trusted him before that).

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: April 07, 2015, 11:46:53 pm »

Yeah, I think governing me was probably the right call. After ash's flip, it made faust much trustworthier (but of course you trusted him before that).

Well it was you or Silverspawn, and then I remembered that I already did Silverspawn.

Also, I really didn't like the massclaim :(  I wanted to claim my role with a result.  I guess it never really got to be used, which is a shame.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: April 08, 2015, 06:08:27 am »

Thank you all for playing the game! The goal for was for it to be a game where roles are assigned independent of alignment and players are able to influence the game post-death. I think I met both of these criteria, though it did not turn out as well as I hoped. Mafia was definitely underpowered here and they needed more factional powers to make up for it. I considered giving them Daychat, but that probably wouldn't have even been enough. Oh well.

Well played, Town and interesting last-resort by ashersky. If faust had been lynched, silverspawn and chairs would have survived. MVP and that open version I mentioned in the Mod QT will be coming soon.

I don't think scum was underpowered at all. The game felt like constant MyLo. 4 scum is a lot, and we hit scum D1, which was huge. I mean, if roles are assigned randomly, it's pretty swingy in which roles they get, because some are obviously much better for them than others, but in general I think the setup was okay balance-wise.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: RMM23: Deus Ex Machina (D3!)
« Reply #2278 on: April 08, 2015, 06:09:12 am »

And I was wrong about faust! And faust was wrong about me!

Hey, I had a slight town read on you by the end of this day.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: April 08, 2015, 06:17:19 am »

And now I can say this: ash, go to the championship. You played well. I'm not taking your spot.

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2280 on: April 08, 2015, 10:18:30 am »

Yeah, I have to admit, I am really, really miffed that I wasn't here to somehow roll that ash/faust to faust.  I was completely wrong on who Hydrad's partner was, though, which is annoying.  I was really hoping to figure out the right person so we could use mail to coordinate.

Sorry all!

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: April 08, 2015, 12:10:40 pm »

Glad we won, because I messed up timings and missed opportunity to reply to chairs, and didn't submit a night action.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: April 08, 2015, 12:16:08 pm »

Glad we won, because I messed up timings and missed opportunity to reply to chairs, and didn't submit a night action.

The way I understand it, you would still have had time, but it was already clear that town won, so Arch just ended it.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: April 08, 2015, 06:58:45 pm »

The way I understand it, you would still have had time, but it was already clear that town won, so Arch just ended it.
Yes, this is correct.

So, I had a lot of fun designing this setup. It was a nice challenge to create unique roles that could be held by either Town or Scum, though some unintentionally ended up being more Town-centric than others. The Deus Ex Machina mechanic was one intended to reduce positive feedback, which it did...but not as much as I had hoped. Kinda wish Town had chose to do it too, but it seems that they forgot, haha. Oh well.

Anyway, MVP will go to Faust for his coordination of the Town's roles and being a pretty solid Townread for most people. I was actually pretty surprised at how many people voted him on the last day.

I think this setup could be done as an Open, Standard one (though I likely won't run it...I think I'm done with modding games, at least for now) by keeping some of the core mechanics, but there could definitely be some changes. Here are a few that come to mind:

- Attacks don't roll over from night to night [Doesn't let Mafia stack up future deaths].
- Mafia are given Daychat [Gives Mafia some power and helps them coordinate lynches in case their Attack was a failure].
- When a Mafia-aligned player is Attacked, they are told the Attacker's identity [So scum doesn't get screwed over when they Attack their hidden partners].
- The first member of a faction is lynched, the remaining member is able to Attack an additional player the following night [Gives them a leg up in case a partner dies early].
- When one faction is eliminated, the Mafia's Attacks Roll over from night to night? Their kills become poison? They get a normal kill? Not totally sure whether double-attack is the best way to handle this.

Not all the changes need to be incorporated, they are just some modifications that came to mind while modding that could be made to the core setup to (hopefully) improve it. I think the idea of a split Mafia team, and the mindset it creates for the Town and Mafia alignments alike, makes the idea worth pursuing, I think.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: April 08, 2015, 07:00:41 pm »

Also, again, big thanks to sudgy for his modding while I was away. His help made things much easier on me when I got off my V/LA.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: April 08, 2015, 07:32:53 pm »

- When a Mafia-aligned player is Attacked, they are told the Attacker's identity [So scum doesn't get screwed over when they Attack their hidden partners].

I think this is the best idea from your changes.  Something like, if the target you attack is also mafia, you will be informed of it, and the identity of the attacker will be announced in your target's QT.

It sort of gives some incentive to try and shoot your partner (kind of like the recruited traitor idea).
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: April 14, 2015, 02:27:42 pm »

Can I add this game to my list of town-aligned wins?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92]  All

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.