Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New Reserve - Investment  (Read 1669 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
New Reserve - Investment
« on: November 30, 2015, 11:37:09 pm »
+1

I was trying to think of ideas for Reserves that don't involve using the mat as a penalty - it would seem that most card archetypes have been spoken for with Adventures, at least the ones that would make sense to have as a Reserve, but I did come up with this:

Investment
- Action-Reserve

Trash 2 Treasures from your hand.  Put this on your Tavern mat.
---------------------------------------------------
When you gain a Province, you may call this, to gain a Gold, putting it on top of your deck.

Sort of a similar idea to Hoard, but instead of being a Treasure that begets Treasures, it's a one-shot trasher that hides on your mat until you start greening, then makes sure you can keep buying green next turn.  Probably hard to reuse, but probably not bad to pick up 2 or 3 of.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: New Reserve - Investment
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 11:54:06 pm »

Well, it kind of is a penalty since I actually would like to keep trashing with it. ;)

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +864
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 12:43:01 pm »

Well, it kind of is a penalty since I actually would like to keep trashing with it. ;)

I agree. Also $3 seems way overpriced for a one-shot Steward that can only choose trashing and only trash Treasures. That's even kinda bad for $2. It will take considerable time until you can call it. And then you have a bad trasher you probably don't need any more in your deck again. You're better off with any other trasher and just buying a Gold. It's a cute idea but arguably weak, unless I'm missing something crucial. I wouldn't pay more than $2 for it, and only if the board is very weak - in which case I'd play Big Money. Investment might be too slow for BM.

One way to reasonably buff it is to have it trash your hand (or up to 4 cards). Anyway, if you want to restrict the number of Treasures trashed you either need to have an "up to" clause or have the player reveal a hand without Treasures lest you create an accountability hole.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 12:48:27 pm »

I'm confused; the only Reserve that uses the mat as a penalty is Wine Merchant. And this card does too. Either I misread your OP, or you've done the exact opposite of what you wanted (creating a Reserve that doesn't use the mat as a penalty).

*Edit* Oh, I guess Ratcatcher and Teacher do too.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 01:11:43 pm »
+2

I agree. Also $3 seems way overpriced for a one-shot Steward that can only choose trashing and only trash Treasures. That's even kinda bad for $2. It will take considerable time until you can call it. And then you have a bad trasher you probably don't need any more in your deck again. You're better off with any other trasher and just buying a Gold. It's a cute idea but arguably weak, unless I'm missing something crucial. I wouldn't pay more than $2 for it, and only if the board is very weak - in which case I'd play Big Money. Investment might be too slow for BM.

Well, a one-shot trasher which trashes 2 cards and sets itself aside has to cost at least one Gunpowder because otherwise it's strictly better than Bomb.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 02:00:56 pm »

I'm confused; the only Reserve that uses the mat as a penalty is Wine Merchant. And this card does too. Either I misread your OP, or you've done the exact opposite of what you wanted (creating a Reserve that doesn't use the mat as a penalty).

*Edit* Oh, I guess Ratcatcher and Teacher do too.

I think he was saying, the easy designs for reserves have already been explored, _except_ for using the reserve mat as penalty.

Erick648

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +629
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 07:22:32 pm »

What about making it a cantrip (and making the trashing optional, but a requirement for matting it)?  That makes it stronger as a one-shot trasher, and keeps it from being a Confusion after you call it.

Investment
- Action-Reserve
+1 Card
+1 Action
Trash up to 2 Treasures from your hand.  If you trashed a Treasure this way, put this on your Tavern mat.
---------------------------------------------------
When you gain a Province, you may call this, to gain a Gold, putting it on top of your deck.

I think "Trash up to 2 Treasures" is better than "You may trash 2 Treasures" because the latter causes ambiguity about what should happen if you only have one Treasure in your hand (Can you choose to trash 2 Treasures and then fail to fully carry it out? What keeps you from lying about only having one Treasure when you have, say, a Copper that you want to trash and a Gold that you don't?).

This does let you trash a Copper/Silver for a Gold next turn if you play it on a turn when you buy a Province, but I'm not sure that's overpowered (compare it to Taxman).
Duplicate duplicates Duplicates duplicate Duplicates duplicate.

Rene Descartes taught me to believe in myself.

How much Loot could a Looter loot if a Looter could loot Loot?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 21 queries.