Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Ventures are so lovely  (Read 3113 times)

FishingVillage

• Bishop
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
Ventures are so lovely
« on: December 26, 2011, 09:23:26 pm »

I think if I wanted to do a deck that is primarily made of Treasure (with only 1 or 2 Actions in it), mass Ventures is what I'd shoot for, unless the game had trashing attacks like Saboteur, Thief or Swindler. A deck like that would basically be the complete opposite of an Actions engine; it wouldn't care much about the deck getting gunked up from victories or curses, so I wouldn't be worried about picking up Duchies or Estates along the way. As long as I've killed off the Coppers in my deck, everything is peachy keen. At the same time, I get to maximize my use of Treasure from my deck, so I don't feel too dependent on requiring a good draw (as long as I have a Venture or two, something good will happen).

In addition to the supply not having trashing attacks, I think having a fast trasher like Remake or Chapel is optimal in order to clear out the Coppers quickly. Remake is better, since I can build up Silvers to $4 cards to multiple Ventures if necessary.

Here's the game I just played which motivated me to start this thread. You'll see that it takes me a really long time to get a bunch of Ventures, even with multiple Remakes breaking my deck down, but the other two players are also taking their time, and I don't think any trashing attacks were available in the Black Market. My first Colony is turn 12, but by that time I can pretty much pick up victory cards at will. A fair trade for exciting mega turns.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201112/26/game-20111226-175628-71463272.html

Now with that said... I felt that the strategy seemed kind of slow. Any recommendations on how I can harvest Ventures faster on this board? Was there an alternative strategy I should've tried which would've gotten Colonies faster? I imagine someone's going to come in and tell me that Venture's a trap card or something, which would be an interesting to elaborate on :P

Arya Stark

• Navigator
  • the things i do for dominion.....
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
Re: Ventures are so lovely
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 09:25:47 pm »

I heart Ventures, 1 of my favs  :-*

DrHades

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 07:45:25 am »

Whov, Witch on the table and nobody gives a damn :D

I think getting early Witch or two is priority number one on this board. But after then I agree Venture will be pretty cool. I would definitely prefer Venture over Gold (the worst case is Venture will find a Silver - then Venture is like Gold) and maybe even prefer double Venture over Platinum, but turn 15 - getting Duchy and last Venture over Platinum??? Seems silly to me...

FishingVillage

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 03:15:42 pm »

I think getting early Witch or two is priority number one on this board. But after then I agree Venture will be pretty cool. I would definitely prefer Venture over Gold (the worst case is Venture will find a Silver - then Venture is like Gold) and maybe even prefer double Venture over Platinum, but turn 15 - getting Duchy and last Venture over Platinum??? Seems silly to me...
haha :D I don't think the fellows I was playing against were of a high level, now that I think of it.

I did notice that there was Witch on the board, but I guess I was too focused on getting Ventures; since there wasn't a way to play multiple actions per turn I didn't want to bother between playing Witch or playing Remake/Horse Traders :P
Witch would've definitely been good against their decks, but not necessarily as good against mine (and I had too many Remakes running around in my deck early on).

I think turn 15 I was comfortably ahead already, so getting the last Venture and some VP on the side seemed like a good idea. Platinum would've been nice, but I was too taken with getting multiple Ventures to run into each other. The next time I come across a similar state, I should probably kill off some of the Silvers so that I'm not too worried about the Ventures stopping short (and making room for Platinum in that case).

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 03:27:10 pm »

haha :D I don't think the fellows I was playing against were of a high level, now that I think of it.

I did notice that there was Witch on the board, but I guess I was too focused on getting Ventures; since there wasn't a way to play multiple actions per turn I didn't want to bother between playing Witch or playing Remake/Horse Traders :P
Witch would've definitely been good against their decks, but not necessarily as good against mine (and I had too many Remakes running around in my deck early on).

I think turn 15 I was comfortably ahead already, so getting the last Venture and some VP on the side seemed like a good idea. Platinum would've been nice, but I was too taken with getting multiple Ventures to run into each other. The next time I come across a similar state, I should probably kill off some of the Silvers so that I'm not too worried about the Ventures stopping short (and making room for Platinum in that case).
Witch would definitely have been good all around, just one or two. Cursing attacks are nearly always dominant.

DrHades

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 08:12:00 am »

Okay, you inspired me to play on Ventures yesterday, thank you  ;D

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111227-064340-d01a3c92.html

The game is a bit different because:

a) I had Moneylender, you had Remake, so it was a bit harder for me to start the engine.
b) My opponent was more skilled than your opponents (he went for Ventures too, attacked me with Militia and was very fast with the greens)
c) I had no time to get a +buy, so Platinum was an obvious choice (maybe the 3rd one should have been a Province, but I think Platinum was better in that moment)

But I still think this is a nice example of working Venture (I get rid of all the Coppers and did not buy any Golds) and not working Venture (my opponent did not - but he had Salvager and Militia, so he had some compensation for this)  :)

FishingVillage

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 06:54:25 pm »

Okay, you inspired me to play on Ventures yesterday, thank you  ;D

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111227-064340-d01a3c92.html

The game is a bit different because:

a) I had Moneylender, you had Remake, so it was a bit harder for me to start the engine.
b) My opponent was more skilled than your opponents (he went for Ventures too, attacked me with Militia and was very fast with the greens)
c) I had no time to get a +buy, so Platinum was an obvious choice (maybe the 3rd one should have been a Province, but I think Platinum was better in that moment)

But I still think this is a nice example of working Venture (I get rid of all the Coppers and did not buy any Golds) and not working Venture (my opponent did not - but he had Salvager and Militia, so he had some compensation for this)  :)
I don't know if I would've went for Ventures in that game, I'll admit that having Thief in the supply looks really uncomfortable, even if Thief is not a strong card. Knowing how I'd normally play, I'd probably go Militia/Silver too, and grab a Stables asap. If I was feeling really gutsy, I'd get a bunch of Worker's Villages and Thieves.

I think going for Moneylender was a good idea this game. Moneylender is pretty likely to hit 5 or higher from my experiences, so I don't think Moneylender is slower than Remake for getting a Venture engine started. Remake is definitely better at clearing out Coppers though. Getting another Moneylender seems like it was helpful; you were able to get rid of all your Coppers by turn 14 and you hit Platinum pretty often. Adama on the other hand, was hitting mostly Coppers and Silvers with his Ventures, so I don't think those were doing much good for him. Stables or another Salvager might've been better imo, especially since playing Ventures made him lose some turns with Actions.

Salvager might've been good, but it looks like Adama didn't get much of a chance to make it useful. Your early Province and Colony probably put on a lot of pressure, so he made some very hasty decisions (he only used the Salvager 4 times, once was on a Copper that gave him no direct benefit, the other 3 times were on cards that could've been useful). Ventures don't care about actions or extra VP in the deck though!

What I thought was cool is that, of the 5 times Militia hit you, you were still able to get 2 Platinums and a Province. I mean, one of the Platinums could've been a Colony instead, sure, but knowing my normal buying patterns and responses to discard attacks, I'd be holding onto a Militia and a Worker's Village and something, and that would've done jack squat for me.

Outside of Thief, this seemed like a swell Ventures game. Good show! :)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 07:06:10 pm by FishingVillage »

Epoch

• Tactician
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 07:45:27 pm »

I don't know if I would've went for Ventures in that game, I'll admit that having Thief in the supply looks really uncomfortable, even if Thief is not a strong card. Knowing how I'd normally play, I'd probably go Militia/Silver too, and grab a Stables asap. If I was feeling really gutsy, I'd get a bunch of Worker's Villages and Thieves.

The thing about Thief as a counter to money-based strategies is that your opponent probably isn't going to buy it that early, and if they do, you can respond and hurt them.  Like, well, if they buy a Thief during turns 1/2, lol (and, at any rate, they can't know you're going Venture during turns 1/2).  If they buy it during turns 3/4, you have plenty of ability to pivot to a different strategy and punish them.  If they buy it at turn 5+, then it doesn't come back to them until like turn 9, and they probably only play it once or twice in the game -- if they eat a Venture or two, it shouldn't be that critical to you.

Thief only works as a counter if you buy it into a deck that has the ability to spam it pretty hard -- a "draw my whole deck" engine or an ultra-thin deck that cycles itself very quickly.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 06:31:46 am »

If then.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.716 seconds with 21 queries.