Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Discussion about master chess players  (Read 24136 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Discussion about master chess players
« on: March 15, 2015, 06:32:58 pm »
+6

I heard how the best deck is to trash down to nothing, buy about six golds, and then and only then start buying Provinces.  It sounds pretty sweet.  I think that might even beat BMU sometimes.

What have you guys heard?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 09:33:26 pm by popsofctown »

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
Re: Overhearing casual dominion players
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 07:00:28 pm »
+3

"Ascension is way better"

So I agreed to play Ascension with them, because hey, I've never played Ascension before, maybe it's okay. I played it as if it were Dominion, trying to thin down and buy draw cards. I won, and then overheard them describe my strategy to someone else as "buying random cards". It was way worse than Dominion though.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 07:02:07 pm »
+15

So I agreed to play Ascension with them, because hey, I've never played Ascension before, maybe it's okay. I played it as if it were Dominion, trying to thin down and buy draw cards. I won, and then overheard them describe my strategy to someone else as "buying random cards". It was way worse than Dominion though.

Are you sure they were talking about your strategy?  They might have just been describing how Ascension actually works.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 07:04:53 pm »

Are you sure they were talking about your strategy?  They might have just been describing how Ascension actually works.
Oh yeah, the having just 5 random cards to choose from none of which could be predicted each turn really bugged me. I got lucky that a couple trashers and draw cards showed up on my turn early on though.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 07:07:09 pm »
+2

...then overheard them describe my strategy to someone else as "buying random cards".

Ascension is many things, but a game of strategy it is not.

One of these days I will actually write the article I've had brewing about strategy vs. tactics in deckbuilders.  Ascension is almost entirely about tactics.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 11:10:03 pm »
+1

I despise Ascension. I just hate it. Everything I like about Dominion is gone in Ascension. Two competing resource cards, a completely random and unpredictable Supply, no ability to plan a deck archetype at all with any consistent chance of winning. Dominion has luck, that you're in complete control over, in many ways it's a probability manage ment game. Ascension presents no option for that - it's just incredibly swingy.

It's a running joke in my group of friends to propose playing Ascension, to piss me off.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 11:29:10 pm »
+8

I'd hate to turn this into a "ripping on Ascension" thread, but I have a gripe that applies to pretty much every other deck builder I've played as well.

Why does every designer besides DXV think that letting you play every card in your hand is a good idea? It severely limits the design space, the variety of decks that can be built, and the turn-to-turn tactics of the game. So many of the other things that make Dominion interesting strategically tend to get removed too (+buy, the whole greening mechanic), but the whole lack of +actions thing just makes the game seem so empty.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 11:47:52 pm »

I'd hate to turn this into a "ripping on Ascension" thread, but I have a gripe that applies to pretty much every other deck builder I've played as well.

Why does every designer besides DXV think that letting you play every card in your hand is a good idea? It severely limits the design space, the variety of decks that can be built, and the turn-to-turn tactics of the game. So many of the other things that make Dominion interesting strategically tend to get removed too (+buy, the whole greening mechanic), but the whole lack of +actions thing just makes the game seem so empty.
It seems to me that, while its not how deck builders began, having a cycling deck/discard pile and unlimited 'buys/actions' are the bare bones of the mechanic. I think most straight up deckbuilding games are just manipulation a of this system. Dominion limits the actions/buys and has VPs that slow down your deck. Ascension has dual currency and "permanents".

That said, Dominion is still my favorite pure deckbuilder. I think for a deckbuolder to be ultra successful now they have to add something on the side (e.g. Mage Knight, Eminent Domain).

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 12:07:39 am »
+6

My guess is that these designers (and fans of those games) consider it more fun if you get to play with everything you buy/draw.  I don't think the choice is necessarily bad.  It limits some design space, but it also simplifies it, which in turn means that they could add complexity elsewhere.  Whether they actually do this successfully is a different question.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 12:41:01 am »
+2

In games where cards are bought from a rotating supply (Star Trek DBG, presumably Ascension, etc.), there are card effects that let you manipulate that supply. So even in deck-building games where cards cannot give "+1 Action" or "+1 Buy" because those are unlimited resources, there are usually other resources to manipulate that Dominion doesn't have.

Note: I have never played Ascension and my one play of the Star Trek DBG was awful. I played the DC Comics DBG once; it was OK, I guess.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 12:50:29 am »

IIRC correctly the best Ascension has is a couple of cards that let you clear out a card from the rotating supply. And I think those might be one-shots.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 03:21:49 am »
+1

I speculate that the reasoning is that terminal collisions are unfun. As a beginner, it's easy to be over-worried about terminal collisions because they feel bad, and overbuy villages or underbuy terminals as a result. Even when knowing the game better, it still feels pretty bad to draw terminals together without a village, despite accepting that risk.

I personally view it as a necessary evil, like having mana costs in Hearthstone. The expansion to the design space is worth the occasional frustration with bad draws.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 04:39:31 am »
+1

As a beginner, it's easy to be over-worried about terminal collisions because they feel bad, and overbuy villages or underbuy terminals as a result.

Does anybody start out underbuying terminals?  Overbuying Villages is definitely true though.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 04:46:40 am »
+1

I enjoy Ascension. It's a lot more random and casual than Dominion, though. I think Legendary is a better version of Ascension, though. Although there are some slightly busted cards in that game.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 07:29:26 am »
+9

What? Terminal collision is great. Not only does it give you choices, but you can use it to blame your loss on luck!

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 07:45:58 am »
+1

I enjoy Ascension. It's a lot more random and casual than Dominion, though. I think Legendary is a better version of Ascension, though. Although there are some slightly busted cards in that game.

Same. I played Ascension once, knowing beforehand what it was, and it was pretty fun, but Legendary is much, much better for me in almost every way. Love the semi-coop dynamic.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 07:58:32 am »
+4

As a beginner, it's easy to be over-worried about terminal collisions because they feel bad, and overbuy villages or underbuy terminals as a result.

Does anybody start out underbuying terminals?  Overbuying Villages is definitely true though.

Remember the early days, when there were people running around especially on BGG convinced that Big Money (not a BM-style strategy, but buying nothing but Treasure and green) was the best way to win? I think that's the reaction that comes out of "wait, I can't buy all these terminals. So then I don't buy villages, either. Wait a second, now I'm beating all my friends who are buying Woodcutter/Spy/Bureaucrat in an unfocused way."

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 08:14:59 am »

Same. I played Ascension once, knowing beforehand what it was, and it was pretty fun, but Legendary is much, much better for me in almost every way. Love the semi-coop dynamic.

I hardly ever play Ascension IRL anymore, since as you say, Legendary is much better. My biggest beef with that game is how it's co-op while not really being co-op. It's great fun to play with friends who know that the game isn't really co-op but super cutthroat. Or surprisingly enough, by oneself.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 08:40:14 am »
+1

Oh yeah it's really not a coop game at all, "semi-coop" is a bit of a misnomer I suppose. It's a competitive games where  sometimes, everyone loses. We definitely play as if everyone losing was better than someone else winning, which might not make sense thematically, but makes the game really fun.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2015, 12:08:16 pm »
+1

I think that in the case of Ascension and Legendary, this rule must be in place. With the variance of the supply deck, it would be easy to find yourself in a situation where you have $8 and everything out there only cost $3 or less. You would then overspend so badly that it'd hurt. Meanwhile, after your turn, the next guy is able to buy the $8 uber card that came up after you overpaid for your $3.

I think that decision is actually good for this style of game.
A man has no signature

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2015, 03:23:34 pm »

My guess is that these designers (and fans of those games) consider it more fun if you get to play with everything you buy/draw.  I don't think the choice is necessarily bad.  It limits some design space, but it also simplifies it, which in turn means that they could add complexity elsewhere.  Whether they actually do this successfully is a different question.

I don't even think it limits the design space. It just shifts. You can't do cards that have exclusively negative effects on play in Dominion, for example. The only reason Curses can give -1 VP is that you have to reveal them when scoring. I'm not claiming that what you gain from it is better, just that it adds options as it removes some.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2015, 03:27:08 pm »

I don't even think it limits the design space. It just shifts. You can't do cards that have exclusively negative effects on play in Dominion, for example. The only reason Curses can give -1 VP is that you have to reveal them when scoring. I'm not claiming that what you gain from it is better, just that it adds options as it removes some.

It limits design space in that now you can't have cards that let you play or buy more cards, because you can already play all your cards and buy as many cards as you want.  It is trivially true.  And as I said, limiting design space in this one direction allows the designers to add complexity elsewhere, exploring a different design space without making the game too complex overall.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2015, 03:32:04 pm »

It limits design space in that now you can't have cards that let you play or buy more cards, because you can already play all your cards and buy as many cards as you want.  It is trivially true.  And as I said, limiting design space in this one direction allows the designers to add complexity elsewhere, exploring a different design space without making the game too complex overall.

Uh. Yes. I don't actually know why i thought i had to add this comment. Sorry.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2015, 04:52:34 pm »
+3

So I introduced the mythological deckbuilder I was working on to a local board gaming group, and one girl said that she found it fun at first, but got bored because the cards never changed like they did in Ascension.

I honestly had no response to that.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2015, 04:55:58 pm »
+2

So I introduced the mythological deckbuilder I was working on to a local board gaming group, and one girl said that she found it fun at first, but got bored because the cards never changed like they did in Ascension.

I honestly had no response to that.

You're using a changing supply like Dominion, right?  Some people prefer tactics over strategy.  How long is your game compared to Dominion?  A shorter playtime would help with people like her, because the game can end before they get bored and then the game with a new board will be interesting again.  But it's just as well to leave it be.

@Asper, no need to apologize. :P
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 2.156 seconds with 20 queries.