Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Twig (Web Serial) Discussion  (Read 13292 times)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
Re: Twig (Web Serial) Discussion
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2015, 12:28:11 am »

Since it was written as a serial, I think it actually shares more in common with anime/manga than it does regular novels.  Even though I binged through it as well, I didn't mind the structure it had.

I don't fully remember how all the S9 members were defeated now, but I think I was OK with how it went.

I thought the explanation of what the Endbringers are was kind of cheap, and the way Scion turned was too out-of-left-field.  Given the actual background though, I don't think any buildup there was really possible.

Well, yes, but fights are harder to parse in a written format than in a more visual medium. There's only so many ways you can describe a kick, while you have so many more in a more visual medium...

Mannequin is covered in silk and glue during the first fight, then has his own poison gas ignited on him during the second fight. Both felt contrived, especially the later one (the tinker really thinks using that is a good idea?). Cherish and Shatterbird are captured when Skitter decides to go on the offensive; was fine, but didn't feel very rewarding. Burnscar dies during Grue's trigger event, AKA the biggest Deus Ex Machina of the story. Cherish reveals that Siberian is actually a projection (ugh). Mannequin and Crawler die from the Bakuda's bomb stash used by the PRT (that was admittedly funny in Crawler's case). Jack, Bonesaw and Siberian put Cherish under the Bay and escape the city. Frankly not that great.

Scion had already been hinted not to be so great, both before and during Kevin Norton's interlude, so I wasn't all that surprised. The role Jack plays in it is a bit forced/confusing and could have been expanded a bit. Eidolon as the origin of the Endbringers doesn't feel that cheap when you think about it, but it's brought into the story in a really clumsy way. Then again, I was skimming the comments, so I sort of saw it coming.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
Re: Twig (Web Serial) Discussion
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2015, 01:28:06 am »

If you enjoyed Worm, I highly recommend reading Cenotaph and Wake at https://archiveofourown.org/series/160520.

Think of Cenotaph and Wake as a highly compressed AU of the first half of Worm, where Taylor is friendly with the Protectorate. It's very similar to Worm, and it feels like it's written by Wildbow, except the writing is more concise. I should warn people that although I got through Worm okay, there is a scene in Wake that made me nauseous. (It's the scene where Taylor casually mentions the several ways she could kill someone, including a way to trigger an untraceable aneurysm.)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 01:30:51 am by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 20 queries.