Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Junkers Galore  (Read 1452 times)

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
Junkers Galore
« on: March 10, 2015, 12:55:29 pm »

(Yay my first topic creation!)

I thought this was an interesting kingdom.

Code: [Select]
Scrying Pool, Black Market, Menagerie, Smugglers, Swindler, Ironworks, Sea Hag, Trader, Young Witch, Cultist, Venture
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150222/log.516d4577e4b082c74d7b716e.1424659479428.txt

It had by far the most junkers I've ever seen in a random kingdom.  With no real thinning/engine possibilities, I surely thought it would be a sloggy 3-pile mess.  Scrying Pool was tempting, but with no +buy and all the junking, I didn't see that.  Menagerie would not be so good in the beginning of the game without other engine components to compliment it with.  To top it off, there's Black Market and Swindler, which (I think) are some of the most luck-swingy cards in Dominion, and can screw any opponent's strategy.

I opened Ironworks/Smugglers, because these can gain you stuff when your deck is filled with ruins and curses, with the intention of first gaining a couple Traders to thin and hopefully counter his Cultist(s).  It turned out that my Traders came up at key times.  Was this Trader luck the only thing that won the game for me?  Should my opponent have gone down the Cultist route faster (they opened Cultist/-, and didn't buy a second one until turn 9)?  Thoughts?

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: Junkers Galore
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 01:07:20 pm »

I'd just open Silver/Silver and buy nothing but Cultists until the Ruins are gone. You're not going to play around having 10 Ruins in your deck by T11 (Trader doesn't actually defend against Ruins, it just delays you getting them a bit), so you have to go for it yourself. All the other actions will prevent you from getting more Cultists, so stay away from them.

Against a Cultist/- open I like Swindler/Silver because you're way behind from the start and need to take some risk.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 01:08:24 pm by SheCantSayNo »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 02:44:23 pm »

Trader can be an excellent defense against junking attacks. Menagerie is also a great defense against ruins. Ventures actually increase in value as swindlers turn coppers into curses. This kingdom looks a lot nastier than it actually is, even without looking into the black market.

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 12:01:10 am »

That Black Market deck looks really juicy: lots of trashing, lots of +Buy, some draw, Ambassador, Scheme, Warehouse, Monument, Throne Room.  There's a Fairgrounds.  And Scrying Pool can counter Cultist quite well with the right support.  If there was a village, I think you could win with a SP engine.  But there's only that lonely Throne Room... I dunno.  SCSN might be right, sadly.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 06:50:08 pm »

bahhhh.... potion/ black market is fine. Get a sea hag asap.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 21 queries.