Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Three games for the price of one!  (Read 1023 times)

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
Three games for the price of one!
« on: March 10, 2015, 08:25:08 pm »

Code: [Select]
Forager, Wandering Minstrel, Worker's Village, Baker, Cache, Junk Dealer, Knights, Merchant Ship, Soothsayer, Tactician
Log.

This game seemed to come in 3 stages:
1. Turns 1-10: Thinning and buying race - Baker-heavy (me) vs. Forager-and-Merchant-Ship-heavy (opponent).
2. Turns 11-15: Knight duel to the death. The entire Knights pile gets bought and trashed.
3. Turns 16-17: Soothsayer Curse tennis. Each Curse gets trashed the turn after it's gained and three-piling is imminent.

This might be the most interesting game of Dominion I've ever played and certainly the first where my opponent and I have made such drastic strategy changes mid-game. At the same time I was attempting to double-Tactician with my Baker deck but I soon realized that a. my Bakers were getting Knight-trashed and b. double-Tac is not exactly functional when you're playing every single card in your hand, so that went away quickly. I'm pretty sure my opponent knew what they were doing but they made a critical error turn 17 when they got the Workers' Villages down to an easily buyable stack. I think I could have bought all four of the remaining ones had they not depleted the pile to two, but I couldn't have ended on a win if they had bought, say, a Province that turn, so there's that.

Are multi-stage games like this common among high-level players?
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
Re: Three games for the price of one!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 10:29:12 pm »
+1

Soothsayer seems completely skippable here. If you're going double-tactician (you should here, saving an action card to discard to tactician if you have to isn't the end of the world), then Gold is going to hurt you as much as Curse is your opponent, and you're wasting buys and actions on Soothsayer and giving your opponent draw.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
Re: Three games for the price of one!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 10:30:23 pm »

But to answer your question, I feel like most games are "multi-stage", for a sufficiently broad definition of "stage". There's building phases, greening phases, thinning phases. It all depends on the board, as they say.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.