Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: More Fun With (Un)popular Buys  (Read 13826 times)

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
More Fun With (Un)popular Buys
« on: December 25, 2011, 03:09:12 pm »

I really enjoyed rspeer's Evaluate your best and your worst board and was thinking about what other sorts of interesting analyses we could get from Council Room's Popular Buys data.  One thing that came to mind was to look at the % column, see what cards end up in your deck most and least often, and try and evaluate a board based on them.  The "most often" analysis may not be all that interesting: I mean, I suppose if someone had a board without Fishing Village then that would be noteworthy, but I'm going to bet there's a lot of overlap: the cheap, obviously powerful non-terminals are bound to be well represented.  But trying to find a strategy out of your ten least-bought cards has to be at least a little enlightening.

Anyway, I'll go first:

Most bought (again not counting Archivist):

$6: Border Village (93.8); Goons (93.4)
$5: Hunting Party (94.2); Festival (90.8)
$4: Tournament (96.5); Remake (94.1)
$3: Fishing Village (97.4); Ambassador (95.5); Menagerie (92.5)
$2: Hamlet (91.1)

Yes, Virginia, half of my top ten is from Cornucopia.  That whole expansion just immediately clicked with me.  I mean, I buy Remake more than Chapel!  And no Mountebank either!  (To be fair, Mt. Bank is #11.)  And much like my "best board" the name of the game is pretty obviously a massive Goons engine where Menagerie (which, oh hey, is great against hand reduction, and with disappearing cash, Actions and trashing) can draw the whole deck with ease, though winning the early Ambassador war is probably going to be crucial.  I say probably because Remake/Fishing Village into Menageries ASAP might actually be faster at getting to Goons and churning those points, and Remake can deal with the incoming trash pretty well. While I think that winning Tournaments is nearly always crucial, Goons engines are the one situation where getting that Province just isn't as powerful.  Festival works great with all these cards, but it's mere support and the other cards are just so powerful; Border Village is normally great but I'd rather spend $6 on more Goons.

Least bought:

$6: Adventurer (10.1)
$5: Explorer (5.4); Counting House (10.1); Cache (11.6); Stash (12.1); Saboteur (12.5)
$4: Thief (3.6); Noble Brigand (6.9); Treasure Map (10.0); Bureaucrat (13.5)

Well this is a much different board!  All of the worst five $5 cards are here, and the worst $6, and some of the worst $4s too.  (Since Scout is non-terminal it gets bought more often; and I used to mistakenly think Pirate Ship wasn't so terribad).  Frankly I'm shocked Thief ended up in my deck this often; looking at buys vs. gains it appears that fully half of the times I've had a Thief it's because my opponent's Swindler hit a $4 card. :P  Bureaucrat is easily the most powerful single card in this setup, especially since Treasure Map has no enablers, so on a 4/3 open it's definitely Bureaucrat-BM for me here.  The B-crat used to be my third-least bought card but I've grown to like it a lot more lately, sometimes to my detriment (c.f. one of my matches against rspeer in the tournament) but usually not!  However, if I had a 5/2 split I'd probably open Cache instead, aiming for Cache/Counting House (I'd probably alternate buying them on $5 hands, or something like that, not sure about the best buy rules), which has pretty respectable synergy.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 03:21:41 pm by chwhite »
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: More Fun With (Un)popular Buys
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 07:09:06 pm »

This might be a stupid question, but where do you find your most/least bought cards on iso?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

permanoob

• Salvager
  • Respect: +29
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 08:01:52 pm »

This might be a stupid question, but where do you find your most/least bought cards on iso?
google councilroom, go to popular buys, click on the tab that says most bought or something.

DrHades

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 08:41:57 pm »

This probably won't be so interesting, because it will be less variable...anyway, here is mine:

$6: Goons (93.6), Grand Market (89.1)
$5: Wharf (91.3), Minion (86.3), Mountebank (85.5), Witch (85.5), Laboratory (84.2)
$4: Bishop (89.5)
$3P: Familiar (82.7)
$2: Chapel (90.0)

Ok, so we got only Goons in common :) Although I really like Goons, no +Actions here kills them. I would probably play one of my favourite tactics of all time: Chapel/Silver (or Chapel/Mountebank), try to get at least 6 GMs and then buy whatever is green...one Mountebank on the way will probably be good and when I (sadly) get a midgame $5 I would go for some Labs. Pitty I don't play Hamlet or Fishing Village on boards where I don't need them - they would come really handy here :)

$5: Explorer (7.2), Counting House (10.7), Stash (11.3)
$4: Coppersmith (9.4), Cutpurse (10.3), Thief (10.5), Noble Brigand (11.1)
$3P: Philosopher's Stone (11.8 )
$3: Oracle (3.4), Chancellor (10.0)

And 5 common cards here...also not bad, there is some difference :) If I saw a board as terrible as this, I would probably go for Chancellor/Coppersmith/Counting House "combo"...but that is no chance here, since again - no villages!!! (and no +buys too) So...I don't know...Cutpurse-BM? BM with Philosopher's Stones? 4 Stashes "I can get a Province every shuffle" strategy? Everything is terrible...probably open Cutpurse/Silver, then 1 Potion and some Philosopher's Stones...

$6: Adventurer (10.1)
$5: Explorer (5.4); Counting House (10.1); Cache (11.6); Stash (12.1); Saboteur (12.5)
$4: Thief (3.6); Noble Brigand (6.9); Treasure Map (10.0); Bureaucrat (13.5)

Bureaucrat is easily the most powerful single card in this setup, especially since Treasure Map has no enablers, so on a 4/3 open it's definitely Bureaucrat-BM for me here.

Are you sure? I would probably go for TM/Silver openning, hoping I can get 3 TMs in my deck before 3rd shuffle and I think I have to be quicker than Bureaucrat-BM even if get the 3rd TM later...

Edit: Missing quote.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 10:45:52 pm by DrHades »

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 09:31:52 pm »

Fishing Village(92.0) Border Village (90.1) Caravan (89.8) Silver (88.2) Nobles (87.8) Goons (87.4) Tournament (86.3) Province (85.7) Worker's Village (85.2) Festival (84.4)
11: King's Court (84.3) 12: farming village (83.2)

As you can see I've been a Village idiot quite a bit in my time as a level 0(Only recently leveled up). Now I am level 4 (thanks to all you level 20's 30's and 40's that accepted my proposed games and taught me things   :D)

In the original 10 cards setup I would make a deck of some Fishing Villages, Nobles, Tournaments, and Border Villages together with as many Provinces as I could spare. :P

edit: And lowest(hmm chancellor... wonder why neither of the first 2 guys have it, is it actually useful? o.O) :

Diadem (11.0) Chancellor (13.3) Counting House (13.7) Navigator (17.4) Bag of Gold (18.2) Stash (19.0) Harvest (20.5) Adventurer (21.0) Cache (22.0) Coppersmith (22.7)
11. Explorer
12. Copper

At a young age I was taught that coppers were bad unless you were going gardens. They were EVIL. So I trashed them, a LOT. I saw no use to Chancellor after trying it a little bit. Navigator I lose with more than I win. Never really get to use it effectivelly. Same with the others except for BoG and Diadem. Fool's Gold would've been on this list except that I recently played a game where I went for a Fool's Gold strategy. It was on this list a couple days ago xD.

So, strategy would be go for mass Bag of Gold because it only costs $0 so why not? :) Get a couple adventurers and Diadems thrown in and I'm great :).
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 09:40:10 pm by ^_^_^_^ »
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

chwhite

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 10:46:26 pm »

$5: Explorer (7.2), Counting House (10.7), Stash (11.3)
$4: Coppersmith (9.4), Cutpurse (10.3), Thief (10.5), Noble Brigand (11.1)
$3P: Philosopher's Stone (11.8 )
$3: Oracle (3.4), Chancellor (10.0)

And 5 common cards here...also not bad, there is some difference :) If I saw a board as terrible as this, I would probably go for Chancellor/Coppersmith/Counting House "combo"...but that is no chance here, since again - no villages!!! (and no +buys too) So...I don't know...Cutpurse-BM? BM with Philosopher's Stones? 4 Stashes "I can get a Province every shuffle" strategy? Everything is terrible...probably open Cutpurse/Silver, then 1 Potion and some Philosopher's Stones...

If you going for the four Stash strategy, then may I suggest adding some Chancellors? 

edit: And lowest(hmm chancellor... wonder why neither of the first 2 guys have it, is it actually useful? o.O) :

Actually, Chancellor is on DrHades' list.  I like Chancellor much more than most folks (if this topic gets big I'm sure you'll see Chancellor a lot, it's the least-bought card on Isotropic), but no, it's not usually useful enough to actually buy.

DrHades

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 10:52:05 pm »

hmm chancellor... wonder why neither of the first 2 guys have it, is it actually useful? o.O

It is a really nice Silver when it is the only terminal you are going to have in your deck. It can also boost you to play crucial cards more often (Mountebank, Witch, ...), but I would be afraid of 2 terminals so I would only combine one Chancellor and Familiars...

But you didn't look closely - I have Chancellor in my least list ;)

So, strategy would be go for mass Bag of Gold because it only costs $0 so why not? :) Get a couple adventurers and Diadems thrown in and I'm great :).

Maybe I missed a joke here, but...Diadem and Bag of Gold are prizes from tournament  ;D

TrojH

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 10:54:01 pm »

I'm only counting Kingdom cards here, and I'm not counting Prizes or the Archivist.

Here's my top 10:

$7: King's Court (91.4)
$6: Border Village (96.0)
$5: Tactician (86.2)
$4: Caravan (94.1), Tournament (91.2), Bishop (86.6)
$3P: Alchemist (91.5)
$3: Tunnel (100), Fishing Village (86.8)
$2: Chapel (95.5)

So, I have purchased a Tunnel in every single game I've played where Tunnel was available. And yet, this particular setup might cause that streak to come to an end. The only card in this setup that would let me discard a Tunnel is the Tactician, and I'd rather not rely on my Tunnels and Tactician coming together. If I'm going to buy a 3-cost card, I'd much rather buy Fishing Villages.

This looks like a classic "Big Draw" setup. Time to put together a massive chain.

My bottom 10:

$5: Library (9.5), Counting House (14.1)
$4: Coppersmith (7.1), Scout (12.1), Thief (12.8), Bureaucrat (18.3)
$3: Chancellor (14.9), Wishing Well (15.7), Fortune Teller (15.8), Scheme (18.5)

Sigh. I'll open Silver/Bureaucrat (or Library/nothing, if I'm stuck with a 5-2 start), and just buy cash and VPs after that.

DrHades

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 11:10:25 pm »

If you going for the four Stash strategy, then may I suggest adding some Chancellors?

Ok, now I feel embarrassed I didn't see that  ;D
My bottom 10:

$5: Library (9.5), Counting House (14.1)
$4: Coppersmith (7.1), Scout (12.1), Thief (12.8 ), Bureaucrat (18.3)
$3: Chancellor (14.9), Wishing Well (15.7), Fortune Teller (15.8 ), Scheme (18.5)

Sigh. I'll open Silver/Bureaucrat (or Library/nothing, if I'm stuck with a 5-2 start), and just buy cash and VPs after that.

Ok, I understand, that TM(52.4) might be in someone's least list, but Scheme(69.6)? Scheme is awesome when you need it and it does no harm and returns when you don't! I would definitely go for Library-BM with a few extra Schemes here...

mith

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 11:18:04 pm »

$7 - King's Court (91.7)
$6 - Border Village (89.3)
$5 - Governor (94.1), Ill-Gotten Gains (92.9)
$4 - Remake (92.2), Tournament (90.4), Salvager (89.7)
$3 - Fishing Village (96.0), Ambassador (90.8)
$2 - Chapel (98.5)

No big surprise that I think this set would be fun... KC/Governor/Tournament would be awesome if you could get it set up fast enough, but Remake/BV/IGG is promising too... I'd probably go with Remake/FV here, but maybe Remake/Chapel if I went second in hopes of avoiding the collision and gaining an advantage that way. And of course Ambassador is sitting there for some nasty turns in the KC/Governor deck, if necessary... Salvager for +Buy if you don't get the Princess (or with IGG)... I can see a use for every card here, which is rare.

(ignoring prizes)
$6 - Adventurer (9.3)
$5 - Counting House (5.8), Harvest (10.8), Contraband (12.3), Explorer (12.8)
$4 - Bureaucrat (5.6), Thief (9.3)
$3 - Workshop (8.4), Woodcutter (13.2)
$2 - Duchess (10.3)

I might ignore my most bought card in the first set... and here I would probably take my least bought and go Bureaucrat + BM.

Most surprised by: Saboteur (33.1)... feels like I totally ignore it way more often than that.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 11:29:13 pm by mith »

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 12:55:33 am »

Maybe you guys should use some kind of difference from baseline measure?  Subtract your %+ vs the entire population %+.  It would be more interesting that way..

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 01:39:56 am »

Maybe you guys should use some kind of difference from baseline measure?  Subtract your %+ vs the entire population %+.  It would be more interesting that way..

Maybe if there was a nice way to do this, since there's no way to sort the columns that way as far as I know.

Top 10
$6 Goons (95.1)
$5 Ill-Gotten Gains (92.3), Witch (88.7), Minion (90.8 )
$4 Sea Hag (91.9), Tournament (97.9)
$3P Familiar (88.1)
$3 Fishing Village (89.2), Ambassador (90.5)
$2 Chapel (96.0)

I'm somewhat surprised Tournament has the highest percent here. A pile of cursers, except there's an Ambassador in the way. Eh, I'd probably open Amb/Amb. Whoever wins the Ambassador war at the start is going to win the game, because they can pick up a Curser and just ruin the other person. So I'd try to make sure I win. But if no one becomes dominant, then a Minion engine is still going to be insane with Fishing Village + Goons.

Bottom 10

$6 Adventurer (6.9)
$5 Contraband (6.2), Explorer (6.7), Counting House (10.4), Mine (10.9), Outpost (8.8 )
$4 Thief (6.3)
$3 Chancellor (11.1), Workshop (8.6)
$2P Apothecary (6.8)

I am absolutely horrible at making Apothecary work for me, despite what people say about it. But I don't really see anything much better. Silver/Potion into some Apothecaries and Explorer-BM seems alright.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

toaster

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 02:20:29 am »

Top 10:
$6 Nobles (82.1)
$5 Wharf (88.6), Mountebank (87.8), Witch (80.9)
$4 Tournament (92.6), Caravan (86.8)
$3P Familiar (91.7)
$3 Ambassador (96.2), Fishing Village (95.0)
$2 Chapel (82.4)

This set has Fishing Village/Wharf Engine written all over it.  I think Mountebank is the right curser here, as it provides +2 to supplement the actions, and buys of FV/Wharf.  Chapel is a nice accelerator, of course.  Oh and then there's Ambassador...I card a hate but can't afford to ignore.

Bottom 10:
$5 Counting House (4.3), Explorer (5.0), Saboteur (6.4), Outpost (6.7)
$4 Bureaucrat (1.9), $4 Coppersmith (4.3), Thief (5.1), Scout (6.2)
$3 Workshop (3.8)
$2 Secret Chamber (6.5)

Bleh.  A couple of decent but extremely situational cards that I seldom use, and a bunch of junk.  I use Workshop less than most I think, but it's a card that's better to underestimate than overuse imo.  The best I see here is Bureaucrat/Big Money.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 02:30:08 am by toaster »

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 03:48:58 am »

$6 Nobles, Goons, Border Village
$5 Mountebank, Witch
$4 Island, Mining Village
$3 Warehouse, Silver
$2 Courtyard

Not going to discuss this, but I love how Silver is in here and not Fishing Village :)

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 07:34:51 am »

$5 Upgrade
$5 Laboratory
$4 Caravan
$4 Jack
$4 Tournament
$4 Remake
$3 Ambassador
$3 Fishing Village
$3P Familiar
$2 Chapel

6-4 non-terminals, and I am surprised that the cursers are largely missing.  I suppose that is probably a leak in my game.  Honestly though, this kingdom is made up of cards that facilitate a wide number of strategies, so it shouldn't be too surprising to see them.  I suspect I am overplaying Jack.

This board I think I would Ambassador/Caravan to open, and if the Ambassador race works out transition with Upgrade into Lab/Caravan/BM.  5/2 Lab/Chapel and hope for the best.

$5 Counting House
$5 Stash
$5 Contraband
$4 Thief
$4 Bureaucrat
$3P Philosopher's Stone
$3 Chancellor
$2 Duchess
$2 Herbalist
$P Transmute

I think my new goal is to see Develop and Noble Brigand here.  This, folks, is a who's who list of limited, narrow cards.  If I saw this board I suppose that I would try the Stash/Chancellor, Bureaucrat/BM or perhaps something stupid with Copper/Counting House/Philosopher's Stone.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2011, 07:58:09 am »

hmm chancellor... wonder why neither of the first 2 guys have it, is it actually useful? o.O

It is a really nice Silver when it is the only terminal you are going to have in your deck. It can also boost you to play crucial cards more often (Mountebank, Witch, ...), but I would be afraid of 2 terminals so I would only combine one Chancellor and Familiars...

But you didn't look closely - I have Chancellor in my least list ;)

Maybe I missed a joke here, but...Diadem and Bag of Gold are prizes from tournament  ;D
Yes, yes you did. The first one was meant as sarcasm and the 2nd as a joke.
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

Marcus316

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 01:55:51 pm »

Most bought (ignoring basic Trasure):

$7 -
King's Court (92.9)

$6 -
Grand Market (88.6)
Goons (93.9)

$5 -
Governor (91.7)
Tactician (90.9)

$4 -
Caravan 92.9
Tournament 88.6

$3 -
Fishing Village (98.3)
Steward (95.7)

$2 -
Chapel (93.2)

Wow, that's a rather even set of cards across all values. :) KC-Goons, Grand Market, Tournament ... Governor shenanigans, too! KC-Governor-Goons would likely be my primary target here. Of course, I'm probably going to lose on this board, as I lose a lot of boards with Tournament available.

Least:
$5 -
Stash (8.7)
Cache (13.3)

$4 -
Navigator (13.2)
Thief (13.3)
Scout (14.8)

$3P -
Philosopher's Stone (14.6)

$3 -
Workshop (8.9)
Fortune Teller (10.0)
Oracle (15.4)

$2 -
Duchess (12.5)

I'm  ... not sure how to play this board at all. Suggestions, anyone?

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 02:17:05 pm »

My most common:

6: Nobles (89.1%)

5: Ill-Gotten Gains (92.3%)
Mountebank (87.9%)

4: Silk Road (88.9%)
Jack of All Trades (87.5%)

3P: Familiar (94.6%)

3: Ambassador (91.9%)
Great Hall (90.6%)

2: Chapel (92.1%)
Crossroads (86.7%)
I think these are basically cards that someone, at some point, has said "This card makes Dominion unfun."

My least common:

5: Counting House (10.1%)
Stash (14.6%)
Explorer (15.8%)
Contraband (17%)
Duke (17.9%)

4: Bureaucrat (7.4%)
Thief (9.4%)
Navigator (14.1%)

3: Chancellor (10.6%)
Workshop (15.2%)
AKA, the tale of the bad $5's.

chwhite

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 05:35:10 pm »

Yeah, it would be more interesting; if there was an easy way to subtract the %s I'd do it.  (Tried to copy/paste into Excel but couldn't make that work.)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 05:39:37 pm by chwhite »

Michaelf7777777

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 08:40:46 am »

Most Popular Buys

$6 - Grand Market (100.0), Border Village (88.9)
$5 - Treasury (88.9)
$4 - Mining Village (100.0), Tournament (100.0), Caravan (87.5%)*
$3 - Fishing Village (100.0)
$2 - Duchess (92.3), Pawn (90.0), Chapel (88.9)

* Goons and Caravan have the same % + from the same number of games but Caravan is chosen as its number in the buy column is higher

With this set up I'd Chapel my starting cards building up into Grand Markets with Tournaments thrown in once I can buy provinces. I'd start Treasury/ Chapel with 5/2 and Tournament/ Chapel with 4/3

Less Popular Buys

Note: I have more than 10 kingdom cards I have never gained on isotropic. This list is therefore sorted by the number of games in which they have been available and is what the number in the brackets refers to.

$5 - Mine (11), Rabble (9), Harvest (6)*
$4 - Cutpurse (12), Remodel (11), Thief (9), Milita (7)
$3 - Workshop (9), Fotune Teller (7), Swindler (6)*

* Note I have many other cards I have gained on 0/6 occasions on Isotropic but Harvest and Swindler have been chosen as they have the lowest win rate given available statistic.

With this board I'd go big money/ rabble openning Silver/ Silver with 4/3 and Rabble/ Nothing with 5/2

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 08:36:22 am »

Most bought:
$5: Mountebank (93.1); Wharf (88.6); Witch (88.6); Minion (88.4)
$4: Remake (92.1); Sea Hag (87.9);
$3P: Familiar (88.2)
$3: Fishing Village (92.6); Ambassador (91.8 )
$2: Chapel (93.8 )

Obviously mainly cursing attacks and trashers plus the strong Fishing Village/Wharf combo, which should also dominate this game. Besides this combo it's quite tough to decide what cards to go for. 5/2 is probably Mountebank/Chapel (though I presume Witch is a bit better on this board in general), 4/3 is not easy - maybe Remake/Ambassador or Remake/Fishing Village. I like Remake here, because Estate => Fishing Village is just strong with Wharf available. With a 4/3 start I would actually ignore Chapel.

I probably buy Familiar too often - I just can't imagine that it's good in nearly 90% of the cases.

Least bought (w/o Archivist and Diadem; Diadem would have been in with 9.8%):
$6: Adventurer (4.6);
$5: Counting House (4.4); Explorer (9.6); Saboteur (9.6); Mandarin (12.9)
$4: Noble Brigand (2.1); Thief (2.5); Bureaucrat (5.6); Pirate Ship (8.3); Coppersmith (10.5)

No big suprises here. Since there are no really good sources of +$, Pirate Ship could be decent here, though I believe with nobody going for it, Bureaucrat/Explorer might be better.

Seems a bit like I underestimate Bureaucrat, which is certainly good more often than in just 5.6 % of all games.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 08:39:59 am by kn1tt3r »

hgfalling

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 01:43:46 pm »

Some of the cards here make me think I am bad at Dominion. Nevertheless:

Most bought/gained:
Chapel (98.8)
Crossroads (93.1)

Fishing Village (99.0)

Tournament (93.9)
Remake (91.5)

Wharf (96.2)
Mountebank (88.9)
Festival (91.2)

Border Village (95.5)
King's Court (90.4)

A lot of good options here. I would probably go remake/chapel for 4/3 and wharf/chapel for 5/2, and then try to pick up wharves/FV and money, with KC later. I feel like this kind of board often leads to one guy going green early and hanging on for the win while the opponent builds his engine to go off a turn too late.

And least bought/gained:
Chancellor (5.2)
Oracle (5.3)

Philosopher's Stone (5.7)

Thief (8.7)
Bureaucrat (12.4)
Navigator (10.4)

Cache (5.7)
Harvest (10.5)
Contraband (11.5)

Adventurer (2.3)

Oracle/BM might be the right thing here, or Bureaucrat/BM.

Wingnut

• Golem
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 03:10:47 pm »

Starting with the most

6 - Goons (97.0)
6 - Grand Market (96.6)
5 - Governor (95.7)
5 - Margrave (97.4)
4 - Worker's Village (94.7)
4 - Tournament (98.6)
3 - Fishing Village (97.8)
3 - Masquerade (97.7)
3 - Swindler (97.4)
2 - Crossroads (93.2)

I'm happy to not see Ambassador or Chapel like most others here (those are 11th and 12th on my list). I'm thinking some sort of Governor/Village/Goons engine, probably with support from Margrave since the trashing is a bit on the light side here with only Masquerade here. Open with FV/Masq and go from there, hope Swindler doesn't do unkind things to me.

And now the worst list, where we'll see some similarities with what everyone else has put up there

5 - Counting House (4.4)
5 - Outpost (15.9)
5 - Stash (17.3)
5 - Harvest (22.3)
5 - Cache (22.9)
5 - Explorer (23.0)
4 - Bureaucrat (19.1)
4 - Coppersmith (10.3)
4 - Navigator (10.5)
3 - Chancellor (10.4)

Enjoy the Cost 5 misery here. Bureaucrat to transition into Explorer/BM here. Heaven help anyone who actually sees a Kingdom this bad.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 03:15:19 pm by Wingnut »

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 05:28:16 pm »

Most bought :

8* - Peddler (95,7)
6 - Grand Market (100  :o )
6 - Border Village (92,6)
5 - Bazaar (94,4)
5 - City (91,7)
4 - Island (97,1  ;D )
4 - Caravan (92,9)
4 - Farming village (92,6)
4 - Mining village (92,3)
3 - Fishing village (100  :o )

Island is one of my favorites cards, to be precise, the second after Menagerie ! I buy a huge of islands at the early game.
I'm surprised to see Mining village here, and so many villages in general ! 6 in the board ! Yet I'm not a village idiot X)
Here, I would start a grand market race, taking peddlers. Simply...

Least bought :

0P - Transmute (18,2)
3 - Workshop (7,7)
3 - Watchtower (20,7)
3P - Philosopher's stone (4,8)
4 - Thief (6,3)
5 - Contraband (9,1)
5 - Stash (12,5)
5 - Explorer (16,7)
5 - Counting house (21,7)
6 - Adventurer (19,1)

I don't buy philosopher's stone often, simply because I don't know how to use it, and I don't want to buy a potion especially for Philosopher's stone.
I would go for a Thief + BM strategy.

And chapel... 56.8 only !

Copernicus

• Baron
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, 05:46:08 pm »

Most bought:

$2 Chapel, Crossroads
$3 Ambassador, Fishing Village
$4 Tournament, Remake, Jack of All Trades
$5 Wharf
$6 Border Village, Goons

---

That... is going to be a very fast game.  I think I would go Fishing Village/Remake -> Fishing Village/Wharf/Goons.  I have no idea how that would compete with an Ambassador, Chapel, or Jack based engine.

Least bought:

$0P Transmute
$3P Philosopher's Stone
$4 Thief, Bureaucrat
$5 Harvest, Explorer, Counting House, Contraband, Outpost
$6 Adventurer

-- Probably Bureaucrat and Explorer spam for a flood of Silver.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.462 seconds with 21 queries.