Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Philosopher's Stone is cool.  (Read 5187 times)

polot38

• Baron
  • Respect: +35
    • View Profile
Philosopher's Stone is cool.
« on: February 24, 2015, 08:07:37 pm »

http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20150224/log.516d36c1e4b082c74d7b430c.1424825814749.txt

Code: [Select]
Chapel, Masterpiece, Scheme, Philosopher's Stone, Scavenger, Silk Road, Band of Misfits, Jester, Mint, Outpost
So, my idea here (since there weren't any cards that i could see that could overwhelmingly support a generic big-money strategy, and there clearly isn't an engine) was to go scavengers into Philosophers stone, top-decking one every time i play scavenger, and using some big buys to net a ton of cards (to increase philosopher's stones value) with masterpiece. I bought my 4th province on turn 13. What do you guys think?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Philosopher's Stone is cool.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 06:06:59 am »
+2

I think you could do better with just Scavenger/Masterpiece/BM.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 07:27:31 am »
+1

I think you couldn't. Well, maybe. I sort of do want to open scavenger.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 07:46:21 am »
+1

I'm doubtful. Scavenger is very good for Phil Stone, nothing great for Masterpiece (except possibly Phil Stone itself)

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 10:45:27 am »

Masterpiece is strong in slogs, as is Silk Road. Would trying to consistently nab Silk Roads be more or less profitable than using P-Stone to spike the occasional Province?

polot38

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 03:57:02 pm »
+1

Masterpiece is strong in slogs, as is Silk Road. Would trying to consistently nab Silk Roads be more or less profitable than using P-Stone to spike the occasional Province?

The p-stones aren't "occasional" provinces with scavenger in the set, rather you can reasonably expect every turn after you play a scavenger to be a province once you get going. Also, why do you think that this set is a slog? The only junker is jester, and really isn't that threatening as one, nor can you play more than 1 jester in a turn. I don't see silk road as an option; there is literally nothing to enable it by gaining more victory cards (other than straight buying, but that isn't that effective).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 04:13:46 pm by polot38 »

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 05:38:46 pm »

The p-stones aren't "occasional" provinces with scavenger in the set, rather you can reasonably expect every turn after you play a scavenger to be a province once you get going.
This is why I would consider getting scavenger on the opening and potion the next shuffle. That way there is a lower chance of hitting 2P. You also don't need very many p-stones because 2 or 3 is enough with scavenger. Also playing p-stone ASAP is not really a priority, as they aren't amazing until later in the game. I don't see silk road playing a role besides as a consolation duchy here.

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 07:10:33 pm »

I'm doubtful. Scavenger is very good for Phil Stone, nothing great for Masterpiece (except possibly Phil Stone itself)
So would you also want a Scheme or two here as well, to replay Scavenger as often as possible?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 07:18:17 pm »

So would you also want a Scheme or two here as well, to replay Scavenger as often as possible?
Possibly? Depends on how the shuffles work out.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 09:52:00 am »
+1

I don't think so. Getting good value out of Silk Roads takes a lot of work. The 1 VP per 4 VP cards is actually pretty harsh compared to Vineyards' 1 VP per 3 action cards.

If you get like 6 Silk Roads, 4 Duchies and 4 Estates, that's still only 34 points, worse than 6 Provinces.

Normally you would have a decent chance against a normal BM deck which has a lot of trouble clearing out the last Provinces, but a Philosopher's stone deck gets increasingly better at buying Provinces. Especially with Scavenger and frequent shuffles, it's basically a Province every time you have a PS in your hand.

On this particular board I would probably open Scavenger (a good card in its own right)/Scheme and get a Potion on my first shuffle.
With Scavengers, I would put Potion on top. I think a deck like this can handle one or two more Scavengers. Possible terminal collision is not so worse compared to the upside of having multiple Scavengers.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 12:11:08 pm »
+1

On this particular board I would probably open Scavenger (a good card in its own right)/Scheme and get a Potion on my first shuffle.
With Scavengers, I would put Potion on top. I think a deck like this can handle one or two more Scavengers. Possible terminal collision is not so worse compared to the upside of having multiple Scavengers.
On this board you don't have to worry about terminal collision if you can afford Band of Misfits. I'm sad polot didn't buy one turn 5.

polot38

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 12:19:09 pm »

On this board you don't have to worry about terminal collision if you can afford Band of Misfits. I'm sad polot didn't buy one turn 5.

Oh shoot… yeah, that was a bit stupid of me. Oh well, i don't think it would have made a huge difference, but it was essentially strictly superior than what i did.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 03:43:01 pm »

I'm confused. Doesn't PStone absolutely need big Masterpiece buys? PStone is worse or equal to Gold unless you have at least 25 cards in deck, and you're only gaining 1 card per turn without Masterpiece.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 03:59:37 pm »

Well it might need one to shave off a couple of turns but I wouldn't overdo it.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2708
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 11:09:18 am »
+1

Normally you would have a decent chance against a normal BM deck which has a lot of trouble clearing out the last Provinces, but a Philosopher's stone deck gets increasingly better at buying Provinces.

AI showed that BM doesn't choke if you just keep buying Provinces and Gold and never Duchies.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 06:02:54 am »

How many turns does it average for that?

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 21 queries.