Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: crazy nerf  (Read 2293 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
crazy nerf
« on: March 08, 2015, 03:11:49 pm »

Change the cultist on trash line to:
When you trash this, discard down to three cards in hand.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: crazy nerf
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 03:17:25 pm »
+1

This hardly affects the card's strength at all. You don't trash Cultists very often anyway.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 03:35:14 pm »

This hardly affects the card's strength at all. You don't trash Cultists very often anyway.

Exactly. The number of games where you buy cultist for the on trash bonus is zero. So why not make it a penalty?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 03:45:58 pm »
+3

Exactly. The number of games where you buy cultist for the on trash bonus is zero. So why not make it a penalty?

Because that's no fun? On-trash penalties are pretty pointless because often they won't come into play, and when they do it's because you're getting hit by a trashing attack. So why make the attack more harsh? I'm not seeing the upside.

I don't buy Cultist for the on-trash bonus, but I use Cultist's on-trash bonus frequently.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 04:12:14 pm »
+1

I mean you probably never buy Cultist FOR the +3 Cards while trashing, but it makes certain other cards, like Apprentice, Forager, Salvager, Procession, etc. a lot better. Why take that away, it's not helping the card enough that it becomes overpowered, but it's still a neat thing to play with.

It would be a penalty that would basically never trigger. Only if you trash at the end of a big engine turn would it be a penalty. Most times your hand would be Trasher / Cultist / money / money / money anyway.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 04:39:00 pm »
+1

This hardly affects the card's strength at all. You don't trash Cultists ve often anyway.

I mean you probably never buy Cultist FOR the +3 Cards while trashing, but it makes certain other cards, like Apprentice, Forager, Salvager, Procession, etc. a lot better. Why take that away, it's not helping the card enough that it becomes overpowered, but it's still a neat thing to play with.

It would be a penalty that would basically never trigger. Only if you trash at the end of a big engine turn would it be a penalty. Most times your hand would be Trasher / Cultist / money / money / money anyway.

And here i was thinking Cultist WAS overpowered. Sure, Ruins don't give -1VP, but that's why Cultists are chainable. Forgive my ranting, but i don't see why the actual bonus is there, really. It's not like it was necessary to make sure Cultist can compete with Witch. Even IF it was a tad weaker without that bonus (which i doubt), boy, there's a lot of space you can fall from Witch before you arrive at Explorer. They don't all need to be the best $5 ever. What the on-trash does is water down the clear concept and make the card more complex, though.

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 04:49:28 pm »

Because that's no fun? On-trash penalties are pretty pointless because often they won't come into play, and when they do it's because you're getting hit by a trashing attack. So why make the attack more harsh? I'm not seeing the upside.

I don't buy Cultist for the on-trash bonus, but I use Cultist's on-trash bonus frequently.

What's an example of a "trashing attack"..? Governor? Masquerade? Possession? None of these really fit the bill.
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 05:01:33 pm »
+3

What's an example of a "trashing attack"..? Governor? Masquerade? Possession? None of these really fit the bill.

Swindler, Saboteur, Knights, Rogue.

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 05:03:14 pm »

Swindler, Saboteur, Knights, Rogue.

Oh, duh. I was thinking of an in-hand trasher. Drawing from the top of the deck usually factors in a decent amount of luck and probably won't affect someone's purchase of a card, positively (+3 cards when trashed) or negatively (disc. down to 3).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 05:05:44 pm by Flip5ide »
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.712 seconds with 21 queries.