Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Exploding Kittens  (Read 10443 times)

jaketheyak

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +613
    • View Profile
Re: Exploding Kittens
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2015, 03:41:45 pm »
+1

but... but... Twilight isn't poorly written. it is a bad story with horrible cliches, flat characters, a simplified world view

I don't have a dog in this fight as I have no opinion on Twilight, but those characteristics you describe all sound like poor writing. I presume you mean that the style of the writing itself isn't bad, but that's not all writing is. Character, story, world building are also part of "writing".

Makes me think of Monty Python's Dead Parrot sketch.
"Remarkable bird, the Norwegian Blue, idn'it, ay? Beautiful plumage!"
"The plumage don't enter into it. It's stone dead."

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2015, 03:57:45 pm »

[...]Twilight and Fifty Shades are horribly written books[...]

but... but... Twilight isn't poorly written. it is a bad story with horrible cliches, flat characters, a simplified world view, atrocious moral implications and a few major plot holes, but the one thing it has going for it is the writing. Did you really read it with an open mind and thought it was poorly written? I find that hard to believe.

Aside from that, I don't have the context to say anything about this game, but I agree with you conceptually. If a work of art is poorly constructed, no matter if it's music, literature, or games, we should call it out for what it is,  although I'd argue that the blame always goes to the people who are embracing it, and never to the artist. If people are donating despite the lack of stretch goals, then it's their fault.

Even if you are only looking at the sentence structure, Twilight is sub-par.  Examples here, and that's just the "punctuation abuse" tag.  If you browse through the main site, you'll find other abuses of the English language.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2015, 05:23:06 pm »

[...]Twilight and Fifty Shades are horribly written books[...]

but... but... Twilight isn't poorly written. it is a bad story with horrible cliches, flat characters, a simplified world view, atrocious moral implications and a few major plot holes, but the one thing it has going for it is the writing. Did you really read it with an open mind and thought it was poorly written? I find that hard to believe.

Aside from that, I don't have the context to say anything about this game, but I agree with you conceptually. If a work of art is poorly constructed, no matter if it's music, literature, or games, we should call it out for what it is,  although I'd argue that the blame always goes to the people who are embracing it, and never to the artist. If people are donating despite the lack of stretch goals, then it's their fault.

Even if you are only looking at the sentence structure, Twilight is sub-par.  Examples here, and that's just the "punctuation abuse" tag.  If you browse through the main site, you'll find other abuses of the English language.

Yes, this.  The writing is truly awful in terms of prose composition, and it's by far not just sentence structure.  Unfortunately, many bestsellers have the same problem now, which perhaps is why SS is suggesting Twilight's writing is redeeming?  It's hard to say.

Since the correct comparator in terms of genre is other fantasy/urban fantasy, compare the writing in Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane, or Gaiman and Pratchett's Good Omens.  Just read the first three paragraphs of each, and consider how evocative and engaging the latter two are, as opposed to the stiffness in Twilight.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2015, 07:31:27 am »

OK not sure why I was suddenly reading about Twilight writing there.
I looked on KS yesterday to see if there was anything that caught my eye (trying to use the discerning eye) and this is now .... 7M$+
What!
Too pricey for me though for what you get- looks like a simple filler/party game, I like the comics, but can't see how this has such mass appeal- I wasn't aware there were so many readers of TheOatmeal.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2015, 10:41:25 am »

I've skimmed that Reasoning with Vampires tumblr, and come across this anecdote:

Eventually, the gentleman yelled at my mother, “KISS MY ASS!”

Mom replied, “PICK A SPOT. YOU’RE ALL ASS.”

Her mom wins, forever.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2015, 10:58:38 am »
+1

.... I want to play the Exploding Kittens game.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2015, 11:13:49 am »

.... I want to play the Exploding Kittens game.

I would definitely play if someone has the game. Why not?

I just don't have room for it in my game closet. And I don't want to move to the suburbs where I can afford a larger house. My first-world problems are terrible!
A man has no signature
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.