Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Back with a vengeance!  (Read 4665 times)

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
Back with a vengeance!
« on: February 08, 2015, 08:52:14 pm »

Code: [Select]
Moat, Vagrant, Masterpiece, Urchin, Familiar, Coppersmith, Band of Misfits, Laboratory, Margrave, Rabble
And this is why you don't underestimate cycling, kids.

I opened double Urchin with Familiar on the board, so yeah. Then I got the golden sombrero (which wasn't THAT bad considering) but then my Mercenaries never seemed to collide with my curses and I ended up having 7 at one point, while my opponent got the first two Provinces.

But then...

My opponent decided to wait until a bit too late to trash their Estates, while I loaded up on some Vagrants and Labs. I think that's what saved me. The extra draw made me able to get every single curse out of my deck and a PPR-passup let me grab the win.

I guess Yreally doMYOSL sometimes.

I'm still haunted by that opening though. Would you guys have gone double Urchin like me or Urchin/Potion like my opponent? I think the double Urchin was a dumb idea and I only won because of strategic roadblock on my opponent's side, but I could be wrong.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
Re: Back with a vengeance!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 08:55:25 pm »

I'd probably go double urchin here, golden sombrero is just shitty luck. If I'm going for familiar I'd feel a little weird opening urchin but it's probably better than silver.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 09:09:34 pm »
+1

Urchin/Potion is definitely the worst opening anyone could possibly consider on this board. It's basically as good as Potion/nothing, i.e. awful.

Potion/Moat if you're going for Familiar, Urchin/Urchin otherwise. Probably the latter is better.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 09:44:44 pm »
+1

I'm still haunted by that opening though. Would you guys have gone double Urchin like me or Urchin/Potion like my opponent? I think the double Urchin was a dumb idea and I only won because of strategic roadblock on my opponent's side, but I could be wrong.

Double Urchin all the way...but then you kind of wander away from your plan. The Mercenary idea is to trash anything that gets in your way (Coppers, Estates, Curses, whatever you don't want or need anymore), and keep your opponent with a three-card hand as often as possible. So why ever buy a Potion? Actually, because of the way the game went, you can go through and systematically figure out what you might have done instead.

So: on turn 4, you buy Potion, but could have bought Silver instead. So now pretend "Potion" is "Silver" from here on out.

Thus on Turn 5, you now have $6 in hand (the Silver you could have bought and 4 Copppers) and can buy Laboratory (rather than Familiar).

Turn 6 is meh, but you can buy Silver again I think. Vagrant is mildly helpful to the cause, but you want more draw than that.

Turn 7 in this alternative world starts with Laboratory, Silver, Copper, Cooper, and you end up with another Laboratory.

Etc. With no villages and limited +Buy (and at some point you might want and play a Margrave instead) this isn't going to be a fast game, but good luck to your opponent trying to make hay with Coppersmith and 3 card hands on a continual basis.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 08:45:29 am »
+1

what is the golden sombrero ?

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 08:54:30 am »
+2

When your turn 1 and 2 buys miss the first shuffle due to them being on the bottom of your deck.

Throwaway_bicycling

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 05:29:08 pm »
+1

When your turn 1 and 2 buys miss the first shuffle due to them being on the bottom of your deck.
Well, I guess the silver lining is that if they both miss, they will collide on Turn 5, so there's that. (And here it's why you don't have to bother thinking about buying a third Urchin on turn 4, since you know where they are hiding.)

But I swear I've had Urchins go off and run away from my deck for what will end up being more than half the game when I can't connect and my opponent can.

Hyphen-ated

• Baron
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 07:53:03 pm »

The Mercenary idea is to trash anything that gets in your way (Coppers, Estates, Curses, whatever you don't want or need anymore), and keep your opponent with a three-card hand as often as possible. So why ever buy a Potion?
Well, cursing the opponent doesn't stop being good just because you have a discard attack that you're playing sometimes. Especially if their plan involves labs and coppersmith.

I don't like the moat purchase on t12; should have been silver I think. An earlier moat might have been okay, but by that time 8 of the curses are out already and your deck is mostly actions that moat will draw dead.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 08:34:04 pm »

The Mercenary idea is to trash anything that gets in your way (Coppers, Estates, Curses, whatever you don't want or need anymore), and keep your opponent with a three-card hand as often as possible. So why ever buy a Potion?
Well, cursing the opponent doesn't stop being good just because you have a discard attack that you're playing sometimes. Especially if their plan involves labs and coppersmith.

But it stops being good when it's Familiar and you didn't open Potion while your opponent did.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 12:38:30 pm »
+3

why didnt they teach us this in spanish class?

brian.marcy

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 01:51:08 am »

What about going 3x Urchin into 2x Merc to ensure fast trashing.  The curses help keep your mercs going while you amass labs.  When curses are gone and you run out of stuff to trash including one of the mercs, add a margrave and economy?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 04:18:07 am »
+2

Urchin/Potion is definitely the worst opening anyone could possibly consider on this board. It's basically as good as Potion/nothing, i.e. awful.

Potion/Moat if you're going for Familiar, Urchin/Urchin otherwise. Probably the latter is better.

Coppersmith/Masterpiece?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 04:55:37 am »
+2

Coppersmith/Masterpiece?

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 10:03:26 pm »
+2

Coppersmith/Masterpiece?

Curse/Curse?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 07:15:20 am »
+1

Coppersmith/Masterpiece?

Curse/Curse?

Curse/Scout?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 21 queries.