theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
SSBM
« on: April 01, 2014, 05:19:34 pm »
+3

Inspired by Liquid's recent foray into Melee, I started getting back into competitive Smash Bros. Melee.  But this topic is primarily inspired by the fact that I just saw a familiar face in watching the NSA 2 crew battle!  If you're at all interested in SSBM I highly highly recommend watching that last match between Ganon and Samus ... oh my god.  Starts at 53:00

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
Re: SSBM
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 05:38:28 pm »
+6

Wow, who is that handsome fellow playing the Samus? I greatly admire his class and mental fortitude.

His edgeguarding could use some work though, that last stock was a little embarassing...

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 06:48:11 pm »

Shoutouts to D1 for being a really good commentator. I started watching competitive Melee because the commentary was so good. If you have the time, and don't care about the bad sound + video quality, you should look up some old matches under TheWaffle77. The commentary is definitely NSFW, but it's hilarious.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 06:50:46 pm »

I prefer Project M, still.  The intersection between the characters that are good and melee and the ones I enjoy playing is the empty set.  I play Jigs now when I feel like winning but she's kind of dull.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 06:51:02 pm »

Wow, who is that handsome fellow playing the Samus? I greatly admire his class and mental fortitude.

His edgeguarding could use some work though, that last stock was a little embarassing...
DAT CHARGE SHOT DOE

Do you always play Samus?

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 08:56:42 pm »

I love Smash.

What was with the Kirby stock?

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 09:01:39 pm »
+1

That was really fun to watch!  :D

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 09:51:06 pm »
+1

DAT CHARGE SHOT DOE

Do you always play Samus?
Yeah, I'm a Samus main, though I've been trying to pick up Falco for bad matchups recently. My most notable appearance in a tournament so far is this:

I love Smash.

What was with the Kirby stock?
http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Stock_Glitch

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 07:54:11 pm »

Nice match!  I can't believe you pulled that out.  When you got kneed at like 60% I thought you were done.

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 10:41:31 pm »

I've never really played SSB competetively, I should try to get good, at least to beat my friends. Anyone have tips or good websites?

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 11:13:48 pm »
+2

I've never really played SSB competetively, I should try to get good, at least to beat my friends. Anyone have tips or good websites?

http://smashboards.com/forums/

No idea what your general skill level is, but you will almost certainly be able to find something helpful there.  There's a sub-forum for each character too so you can easily find character-specific advice, and each character has their own guide with tons of information and stuff.  I like to watch videos of the best players of each character I play (I watch Will a lot because I main DK, I also watch Salem a lot because I play ZSS and he's super fun to watch), because it's a lot easier to see how the thought process of a good player goes when you watch them rather than just reading about it (in my opinion).  But I guess maybe that's not helpful if you aren't able to tell what they're doing.  I'm not sure which SSB game(s) you're trying to get good at or which character(s), but if it's Brawl or 64 I could maybe point you to some good videos to watch.  I know very little about competitive Melee, I can't move my fingers that fast...

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 12:17:06 am »
+1

http://smashboards.com/forums/

No idea what your general skill level is, but you will almost certainly be able to find something helpful there.  There's a sub-forum for each character too so you can easily find character-specific advice, and each character has their own guide with tons of information and stuff.  I like to watch videos of the best players of each character I play (I watch Will a lot because I main DK, I also watch Salem a lot because I play ZSS and he's super fun to watch), because it's a lot easier to see how the thought process of a good player goes when you watch them rather than just reading about it (in my opinion).  But I guess maybe that's not helpful if you aren't able to tell what they're doing.  I'm not sure which SSB game(s) you're trying to get good at or which character(s), but if it's Brawl or 64 I could maybe point you to some good videos to watch.  I know very little about competitive Melee, I can't move my fingers that fast...
I'm not sure yet, but I'll look around, thanks. Maybe I'll try to get in on the next game.

ycz6

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 06:20:15 pm »
+2

There's been a lot of buzz lately around people making professionally-produced tutorial videos for SSBM, but not much has come of it so far. The gold standard is still this 8 year-old video:

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 11:38:15 am »

Saw a familiar name in the description of the latest GRSmash video!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 02:03:43 pm »

Surface to Surface Ballistic Missiles?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.