Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Alchemist vs Margrave  (Read 2501 times)

DsnowMan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
Alchemist vs Margrave
« on: December 22, 2011, 02:34:24 pm »

Played IRL with Alchemist, Scrying Pool, Lookout and Margrave. We both like drawing decks, so I opened silver/potion while my friend opened lookout/potion. I got a Margrave first (and my own lookout), and off we went. My margrave hit early and often while we both collected alchemists and scrying pools. I won.

Checked with the simulator, turns out lookout is somewhat of a dead card here. Better to just open silver (55 - 42) like I did and get an early margrave & money lead (and skip the lookout), supported by card draw.

But guess what dominates both? Margrave + BM (75 - 22). Take that Alchemist.

Lesson learned: be wary of Alchemist. A shiny distraction at times, for sure. Being forced to discard your alchemists will make you sad.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
Re: Alchemist vs Margrave
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 03:03:45 pm »

Margrave is nasty vs. Alchemist, as I and my opponent found out last night.  The reason is simple.  Let's say you have a UAS going, and you have the Alch advantage.  You top-deck 6 Alchs at the end of your turn.

You opponent plays Margrave.  You draw your sixth Alchemist, then discard three of them, having no other choice.

I was wondering for a minute how my opponent had so rapidly decided what to discard, until I realized that isotropic auto-discarded for him because he had six Alchs in hand.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 03:31:17 pm »

True, but Margrave is generally no stronger against Alchemist than Militia or Goons, and weaker than Masquerade. And because Margrave provides +Buy, having one of your own facilitates Alchemist where the others don't. So I don't see Margrave as some uniquely brutal counter to Alchemist.

mrdirt73

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 04:26:49 pm »

True, but Margrave is generally no stronger against Alchemist than Militia or Goons, and weaker than Masquerade. And because Margrave provides +Buy, having one of your own facilitates Alchemist where the others don't. So I don't see Margrave as some uniquely brutal counter to Alchemist.

One difference between the Militia/Goons counter vs. Margrave is that when you have the 6 alchemists Margrave forces you to discard half of them whereas Militia/Goons only forces you to discard 2 of them.  Not sure how big of a difference that would make, but it's there.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 04:34:31 pm »

Goons also gives +buy.
And margrave may be better than militia because margrave BM is better than militia BM.

DrHades

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 05:39:47 pm »

Well Margrave and others criples Alchemist a bit, but when I know my opponent plays it often, I can just put only 3 Alchemist on the top and the rest will turn into Laboratories - not that big of a deal  ;)

What is more dangerous about Alchemist is the fact, that it looks awesome, but it is often inferior to Smithy-BM, JoaT-BM and many others...

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 06:23:33 pm »

Well Margrave and others criples Alchemist a bit, but when I know my opponent plays it often, I can just put only 3 Alchemist on the top and the rest will turn into Laboratories - not that big of a deal  ;)

What is more dangerous about Alchemist is the fact, that it looks awesome, but it is often inferior to Smithy-BM, JoaT-BM and many others...
Or just BM...

DsnowMan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 07:14:42 pm »

We knew that Alchemist was a trap without +buy or something else to support it, but we both figured if you get to play your Margrave every turn, you were likely to find your potion & money, and get the +buy to buy province and more engine parts.

I didn't expect to see the simulated Margrave + BM trounce that plan so badly.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.466 seconds with 21 queries.