Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Woodcutter vs Nomad Camp  (Read 8369 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Woodcutter vs Nomad Camp
« on: December 22, 2011, 12:42:33 pm »

So, on a board that has both of these cards, when do you purchase a Woodcutter with $4 to spend? I think this is more general discussion than puzzle, because I don't think there's a specific correct answer here. But I'm willing to bet there are cases where Woodcutter is the stronger buy.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 12:49:29 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
Re: Woodcutter vs Nomad Camp
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 12:46:52 pm »

When you have reason to believe there's already a terminal action in your next few cards, for one.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 12:51:33 pm »

When you have reason to believe there's already a terminal action in your next few cards, for one.

That's so much simpler than the type of stuff I was thinking of! :)

I was thinking along the lines of needing to get a reshuffle asap, because your important actions are already in your discard.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Elyv

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 01:00:48 pm »

When you're building some sort of complicated combo deck and need a buy, but don't want it in your starting hand on the next turn.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 01:45:14 pm »

Fairgrounds is always an answer in situations like these.  Farmlands, conceivably, as well.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 01:49:12 pm »
+1

You can split your coins across multiple buys, say 8 for province and 3 for woodcutter with 11.
When you want an option to upgrade/remake/develop/farmland the woodcutter later.
When woodcutter is the young witch bane.
When you want to manage the number of cards on top of your deck and the next shuffle.
When nomad camps can be swindled into coppersmiths.
When you're adding variety for fairgrounds, menageries, or harvests.
When you're managing the depletion of supply piles.

Edit - also when you've got a forge and a 4 cost card won't combine with anything else.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 02:05:09 pm by DG »

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +596
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 01:57:07 pm »

And there's always the obvious:  when Nomad Camps are Embargoed.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 02:49:46 pm »

If you know you will have extra +actions next turn, it mitigates the risks of colliding your Nomad Camp with something else. I've found that Fishing Village, for instance, combos well with Nomad Camp, since it gives you extra +actions and money next turn.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Octo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 03:41:48 pm »

When you're running a gardens deck, and Woodcutter is one of your three chosen piles (which is a slightly more specific example of one of DG's points) - 4s can be hard to finish off with a Gardens deck if you're having to actually buy them.

DrHades

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 04:24:00 pm »

You want lots of action cards for your Vineyards, but your deck contains much better cards then Woodcutter and Nomad Camp and there are no other actions you can buy right now.

You have a strong combo that draws your whole deck and you can use an extra +buy, but you don't want to risk a dead-end starting hand.

Buying Nomad Camp would end the game and you will lose this way, but Woodcutter is better than Estate (probably Vineyard again).

Anon79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 08:32:23 pm »
+2

When one of your treasures in play is the Royal Seal anyway / you have Watchtower in hand anyway. "I'm doing it just cos I can."

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 10:03:53 pm »

When one of your treasures in play is the Royal Seal anyway / you have Watchtower in hand anyway. "I'm doing it just cos I can."

Favorite! ;D

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 02:06:19 am »

How about when you've played a Village, then a Workshop, but have a Laboratory in hand, and don't really want to draw a Nomad Camp?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Anon79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 03:50:16 am »

How about when you've played a Village, then a Workshop, but have a Laboratory in hand, and don't really want to draw a Nomad Camp?
Then you would play the Laboratory first, unless you played Golem netting Village+Workshop. Alternatively, change Village to Crossroads and Laboratory to Watchtower...

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 10:48:41 am »

Then you would play the Laboratory first, unless you played Golem netting Village+Workshop. Alternatively, change Village to Crossroads and Laboratory to Watchtower...

With Watchtower, you'd still be drawing the Woodcutter anyway.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 07:23:51 am »

You don't have to reveal Watchtower.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 05:50:35 pm »

I think he means that there would be no difference between Woodcutter and Nomad Camp in that scenario because you could just Watchtower the Woodcutter and it'd be almost exactly like a Nomad Camp.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 05:36:39 am »

... But the discussion is why you would want to buy a Woodcutter with $4 when there is Nomad Camp available, and the suggestion is that you are going to be drawing with Watchtower next and don't want to draw the Nomad Camp/Woodcutter. If you buy the Nomad Camp you will draw it. If you buy the Woodcutter and put it on the deck with Watchtower you will draw it. If you buy Woodcutter and DON'T REVEAL THE WATCHTOWER you will not draw it, which is what you want. If what you want is NOT to have the card on your deck, you can simply not reveal the Watchtower.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 05:53:17 am »

That's great. I know what the discussion is about. I know what Watchtower does. I was merely pointing out that in the case where one has a Watchtower in hand, there would (almost) never be a reason not to grab a Woodcutter. I can see that you're being patronizing, and are perhaps implying that I have the inferential powers of a toddler, judging by the inclusion of all caps in your post. But I don't really appreciate it very much.

Have a nice day.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 06:02:22 am »

Sorry if it came across patronizing but all I was doing was clarifying my point. Obviously one of us is misunderstanding something so let's go through this step by step and you can point out if I get anything wrong. That should clarify where we are:

With Watchtower, you'd still be drawing the Woodcutter anyway.

This is the original statement to which I was replying. I think that this is not true, because if you don't reveal the Watchtower to put the Woodcutter on top of the deck, you in fact won't be drawing the Woodcutter anyway.

You don't have to reveal Watchtower.

I make a simple statement to point out that I believe the former statement is not correct, by giving a reson why it is not correct.

I think he means that there would be no difference between Woodcutter and Nomad Camp in that scenario because you could just Watchtower the Woodcutter and it'd be almost exactly like a Nomad Camp.

You pretty much state what the original statement said, with a few more details of how the Woodcutter gets to the top of your deck. I know that that's what he means, and I have already pointed out that it's not correct. If I bought a Nomad Camp in this scenario, it would be on my deck whether or not I reveal a Watchtower. If I buy a Woodcutter in this scenario, there is a difference. I could reveal the Watchtower to put it on my deck OR I could not reveal the Watchtower and have it in my discard pile. That is a clear difference. Where have I gone wrong?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 08:32:14 am »

That's great. I know what the discussion is about. I know what Watchtower does. I was merely pointing out that in the case where one has a Watchtower in hand, there would (almost) never be a reason not to grab a Woodcutter.
I can see that you're being patronizing, and are perhaps implying that I have the inferential powers of a toddler, judging by the inclusion of all caps in your post. But I don't really appreciate it very much.

Have a nice day.
(breaking up of quote mine)
I don't think TINAS was being patronizing at all. It was not at ALL clear that you did in fact know what the discussion was about, because you kept making points that at least seemed to be tangential to it. I read your posts and thought 'sure, you CAN have woodcutter act just like Nomad Camp there, but you don't have to, so woodcutter could indeed be better... which is what the thread is about in the first place." But all you'd said was that Woodcutter can act just like Nomad Camp there... Of course, your latest post's line 'there would (almost) never be a reason not to grab a Woodcutter.' makes it clear that you 'get it', but that hadn't come through beforehand, at least to me. Maybe I'm just too stupid to get it.

You have a nice day too!

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +949
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011, 12:32:26 pm »

You can split your coins across multiple buys, say 8 for province and 3 for woodcutter with 11.
When you want an option to upgrade/remake/develop/farmland the woodcutter later.
When woodcutter is the young witch bane.
When you want to manage the number of cards on top of your deck and the next shuffle.
When nomad camps can be swindled into coppersmiths potions.
When you're adding variety for fairgrounds, menageries, or harvests.
When you're managing the depletion of supply piles.

FYP
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

TheMathProf

• Scout
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 07:58:27 pm »

You might also prefer Woodcutter when you've somehow seen some of the cards you have for your next hand (i.e. via Cartographer, Navigator, Apothecary), already know that you have a terminal action that you'd prefer to play to the Nomad Camp, and no Village-style cards to provide additional actions that would allow you to play the Nomad Camp also.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.