Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Combinations that actually make Scout do something useful  (Read 20904 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Re: Combinations that actually make Scout do something useful
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2015, 12:50:53 pm »

Prince of Scouts is vaguely useful.

Unlike King's Court, yeah.  I can see that.  But I would probably pick something else...

You may not have a choice.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ThaddeusB

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2015, 12:54:52 pm »

If by combo you just mean two cards that make each other better then a lot of things combo with scout - cards that care a lot about deck order ( ww, mystic, herald), all alt co, cards that want vp in hand.  If you mean things that make Scott worth buying, the list is pretty short. At least two of great hall/harem/nobles might be enough. A workshop variant you otherwise want on an alt vp board. Rebuild with no other + action cards and enough silver already bought. Wishing well  + alt vp ( primarily Duke to avoid.cost conflict).

On a weak board with no other +actions, I could definitely see Prince-scout doing something - that's an interesting idea.

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3961
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2015, 12:55:42 pm »

Unlike King's Court, yeah.  I can see that.  But I would probably pick something else...

Because the entire board has only two Action cards in it...?
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2015, 12:57:21 pm »
+2

Because you got a scout somehow (maybe swindler) and drew prince with scout and no other actions.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2015, 01:01:04 pm »
+1

Scout + Wishing well is like, worse to have in hand than wishing well + wishing well usually. Same for mystic, unless you have like 1 scout and a bunch of mystics.

Uh, yeah. You get one or two Scouts, and as many Mystics as you can. One Scout and four Mystics is way better than 5 Mystics.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2015, 01:02:14 pm »

Because you got a scout somehow (maybe swindler) and drew prince with scout and no other actions.

You don't have to *play it*.  Even if you draw Golem-Scout, you would play the Scout first just in case.  Really, Masquerade-Possession is about the only way.

The Masquerade-Prince-Scout pin... the stuff of legends.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2015, 01:10:38 pm »
+2

You don't have to *play it*.  Even if you draw Golem-Scout, you would play the Scout first just in case.  Really, Masquerade-Possession is about the only way.

The Masquerade-Prince-Scout pin... the stuff of legends.
No. If I have a scout and prince and no other actions in hand, I will almost certainly prince the scout rather than wait another shuffle before I see my prince again.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1399
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2015, 02:16:05 pm »
+2

My opponent has more loot than me

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2015, 04:05:31 pm »

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2015, 04:29:49 pm »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2015, 05:41:27 am »
+1

Fine...
[Image]

That... face...! O__o *shudder*

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2015, 09:41:07 am »
+2

I'm not sure Scout quite deserved to get a penguin through the eye.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2015, 03:04:55 pm »
+6

"Young lad, I used to be a Scout like you, until I took a penguin in the eye."

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2015, 03:11:26 pm »
+2

"Young lad, I used to be a Scout like you, until I took a penguin in the eye."

He thought the cosmetic surgery would make him socially awesome...

ThaddeusB

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2015, 12:55:09 pm »

Here's a game I played recently where scout was a good acquisition: http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150202/log.53be12a0e4b00ccce8075fbc.1422946588137.txt

Code: [Select]
Candlestick Maker, Lighthouse, Moat, Herald, Ironworks, Procession, Scout, Baker, Junk Dealer, Mystic

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2015, 01:04:45 pm »

Here's a game I played recently where scout was a good acquisition: http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150202/log.53be12a0e4b00ccce8075fbc.1422946588137.txt

Code: [Select]
Candlestick Maker, Lighthouse, Moat, Herald, Ironworks, Procession, Scout, Baker, Junk Dealer, Mystic

Deep deck inspection with Mystic and Herald... I can see that.  Especially since they're the two strongest deck-guessers in the game.  Pretty remarkable.  I mentioned Mystic, but forgot all about Herald.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2015, 06:31:56 pm »
+1

Scout is a fine card when you pay effectively $0 for it. It smooths out your green draw and can allow you to better setup engines. Basically playing a scout decreases your hand by 1, but increases your search space for lining up components by 3.

For the price, it is rarely worth it (Mystic and especially Herald can do a lot better with Scout), but when I'm grabbing it for close to free - off an Iw or something - I will grab it for a number of engines if there are no longer useful components.

For instance, say I have something like Village/Iw/Hunting grounds. Village alone allows you to search 5 cards for a live Hunting grounds. Scout lets you search 7. That is a pretty big increase in the odds your engine will hit, pulling green out of deck is just gravy on top. When card draw is cheap, Scout gets better, the problem is that when card draw is cheap you normally want more of the draw instead. But if Scout uses otherwise useless gains (e.g. Iw), then it tends to do a decent job smoothing out engines. It is only when the opportunity cost for Scout falls that you really want to gain it for reliability purposes.

Similarly, Pool/Scout/Gainer is a decent step up from Pool/Gainer. Yeah grab your stack of Conspirators or whatever first, but if you have a Workshop, Pool gets a lot more reliable as Scout pulls out the odd stop card and can position your deck to discard a treasure stop. Given that Scout has a low effective card size with Pool (maybe something like .5 or .75 cards), it isn't a bad gain late-ish game.

The big question is how much extra support you are willing to allow on a combo. Scout/Xroads is borderline at best if the Scouts are free, but it gets a lot better with cards like Tr or Prssn so you can play a lot more Xroads. Likewise, Scout/Tunnel tricks are not too impressive, but if you get a nice constellation like Scout/Cellar/Apprentice/+buy it can be decent at juicing the Cellar (and worst case, you Apprentice the Scout). Most cards have good setups when you start talking 3 & 4 card comboing, but that comes at the price of being really rare in random play.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2015, 06:57:26 pm »
+1

when I'm grabbing it for close to free - off an Iw or something - I will grab it for a number of engines if there are no longer useful components.

Another reason why Scout was fine in Intrigue and suffered with the addition of every other expansion. It sometimes looks almost respectable in Intrigue only games.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2015, 07:06:38 pm »

when I'm grabbing it for close to free - off an Iw or something - I will grab it for a number of engines if there are no longer useful components.

Another reason why Scout was fine in Intrigue and suffered with the addition of every other expansion. It sometimes looks almost respectable in Intrigue only games.

Top-notch word choices boldfaced.  Even Mystic only bumps it up to usually-almost...

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2015, 07:21:43 pm »

Top-notch word choices boldfaced.  Even Mystic only bumps it up to usually-almost...

The problem is the things that Scout "combos" well with (dual type Victories, naming cards) are:

1) Things that don't have a lot of design space (i.e., there are only so many Action-Victory cards that are still interesting)
2) Combo'd with better by other cards, e.g. Cartographer.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2015, 07:25:13 pm »

The problem is the things that Scout "combos" well with (dual type Victories, naming cards) are:

1) Things that don't have a lot of design space (i.e., there are only so many Action-Victory cards that are still interesting)
2) Combo'd with better by other cards, e.g. Cartographer.

Scrying Pool/Cellar/Scout might be the only example I can think of otherwise...  Or Cellar/Scout vs Rabble, which isn't that great, but in theory could work out sometimes maybe.

c4master

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2015, 06:09:11 am »

Imho the biggest problem with Scout is its price point. Being a $4 card makes it almost completely useless in slogs (Gardens, Silk Roads) where it would be kind of ok otherwise. It does help some cards but that's so often just marginal and only late-game that I doubt not getting a Scout on your 10th+ turn can be considered a mistake - espacially since your usually getting something else instead.

edit: Getting more $3 or $5 VP cards would be nice for Scout.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 06:13:04 am by c4master »

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1399
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2015, 03:08:01 pm »
+1

"Well we've made this hammer with a head that's nearly useless, so let's sell it cheap and create some special nails for it"
My opponent has more loot than me

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2015, 03:12:22 pm »
+2

Is Scout/Crossroads not a thing?
I once tried a Scout/Crossroads/Great Hall engine, it was pretty bad and made me feel like a Village idiot, played 10 cards, oh I guess all I can afford is another Great Hall!

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2015, 04:07:01 pm »

"Well we've made this hammer with a head that's nearly useless, so let's sell it cheap and create some special nails for it"

I have to agree.  Sure, it's not mathematically useless all of the time.  But there are so many times you wouldn't even pick it up for free.  It fails the Duchess test a lot worse than Duchess.  Before you can buff by lowering the price, you have to make sure that it's better than not having a card at all...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 1.756 seconds with 21 queries.