Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Why Do Stef and Wandering Winder Buy Noble Brigands Here?  (Read 2049 times)

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
Why Do Stef and Wandering Winder Buy Noble Brigands Here?
« on: January 30, 2015, 07:25:32 pm »
+2

Code: [Select]
Fool's Gold, Pearl Diver, Chancellor, Scheme, Fortress, Noble Brigand, Treasure Map, Duke, Rabble, Hunting Grounds
Log: http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150130/log.50b20dc3e4b0c9ce0cf27eb3.1422638461568.txt

Provinces/Shelters. Stef is first player and opens Silver T1. Wandering Winder opens with Fool's Gold on T1. Stef responds by buying Noble Brigand on T2 even though there is nothing that he can hit. On turn 2, Wandering Winder buys Noble Brigand even though Stef only has one Silver in 12 cards to potentially hit (this seems the most reasonable to me). By turn 4, Stef has bought Hunting Grounds and Scheme and on T4 Wandering Winder buys a second Noble Brigand even though Stef still only has one Silver to hit. What's the reason for these Noble Brigands?

Could a preemptive Noble Brigand be an effort to head off a Silver-based Duchy/Duke strategy? It seems like it would be worth waiting until your opponent had a Silver that you could potentially hit to get a first Noble Brigand, and to wait for your opponent to get multiple Silvers before you go for multiple Noble Brigands. As a junker against a no-trashing engine with Scheme, Noble Brigand seems extremely weak because the chance of not hitting any treasure will be low for a long time. And while Stef once uses Noble Brigand after seeing that he'll be able to give out a Copper based on Rabble, those uses seems extremely marginal.

In the actual game, Wandering Winder gets Fool's Golds with 2 Noble Brigands and some Fortresses and 1 Rabble while Stef builds a reliable Scheme-Fortress-Rabble engine that slows Wandering Winder with small hands so that Stef can buy 6 Provinces over 8 turns to win.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: Why Do Stef and Wandering Winder Buy Noble Brigands Here?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 07:42:24 pm »
+2

Code: [Select]
Fool's Gold, Pearl Diver, Chancellor, Scheme, Fortress, Noble Brigand, Treasure Map, Duke, Rabble, Hunting Grounds
Log: http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20150130/log.50b20dc3e4b0c9ce0cf27eb3.1422638461568.txt

Provinces/Shelters. Stef is first player and opens Silver T1. Wandering Winder opens with Fool's Gold on T1. Stef responds by buying Noble Brigand on T2 even though there is nothing that he can hit. On turn 2, Wandering Winder buys Noble Brigand even though Stef only has one Silver in 12 cards to potentially hit (this seems the most reasonable to me). By turn 4, Stef has bought Hunting Grounds and Scheme and on T4 Wandering Winder buys a second Noble Brigand even though Stef still only has one Silver to hit. What's the reason for these Noble Brigands?

Could a preemptive Noble Brigand be an effort to head off a Silver-based Duchy/Duke strategy? It seems like it would be worth waiting until your opponent had a Silver that you could potentially hit to get a first Noble Brigand, and to wait for your opponent to get multiple Silvers before you go for multiple Noble Brigands. As a junker against a no-trashing engine with Scheme, Noble Brigand seems extremely weak because the chance of not hitting any treasure will be low for a long time. And while Stef once uses Noble Brigand after seeing that he'll be able to give out a Copper based on Rabble, those uses seems extremely marginal.

In the actual game, Wandering Winder gets Fool's Golds with 2 Noble Brigands and some Fortresses and 1 Rabble while Stef builds a reliable Scheme-Fortress-Rabble engine that slows Wandering Winder with small hands so that Stef can buy 6 Provinces over 8 turns to win.

I was anticipating him getting more treasures, which was stupid. Actually that my hands were small wasn't THAT important; the big thing was he was just doing whatever he wanted, and had complete control.

His NB gives him the 8th money, can't be stolen, and disrupts me more than copper. Maybe it would be better as a fool's gold? I dunno.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 08:05:22 pm »
+2

Heh, funny that you found that one. It sure felt strange to buy Noble Brigand against someone who doesn't have anything to steal from, and just signaled (Fool's Gold) he doesn't ever intend to buy anything either.

On this board, I'm convinced the dominant strategy is a Fortress/Rabble thing with schemes, despite there being no +buy. Getting hit by 4+ rabbles every turn is just killing all money-based strategies. At that point I had enough faith in this theory that I was willing to ignore his opening buy and still assume he was also going for the rabble engine.

Because the game will be very long (in #turns, again because of the lack of +buy) a Noble Brigand will actually be quite powerful in the mirror. First you topdeck two green cards, then you donate a copper. In the game we actually played he didn't go for the Rabble engine, and I decided two green cards on top of his deck was more important then an additional copper. But that was the plan.

The fact that Noble Brigand also gives +1$ helps a little bit, but Chancellor would be a lot better for that.
Join the Dominion League!

Juice2403

• Baron
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 03:44:37 pm »

I would have
Heh, funny that you found that one. It sure felt strange to buy Noble Brigand against someone who doesn't have anything to steal from, and just signaled (Fool's Gold) he doesn't ever intend to buy anything either.

On this board, I'm convinced the dominant strategy is a Fortress/Rabble thing with schemes, despite there being no +buy. Getting hit by 4+ rabbles every turn is just killing all money-based strategies. At that point I had enough faith in this theory that I was willing to ignore his opening buy and still assume he was also going for the rabble engine.

Because the game will be very long (in #turns, again because of the lack of +buy) a Noble Brigand will actually be quite powerful in the mirror. First you topdeck two green cards, then you donate a copper. In the game we actually played he didn't go for the Rabble engine, and I decided two green cards on top of his deck was more important then an additional copper. But that was the plan.

The fact that Noble Brigand also gives +1$ helps a little bit, but Chancellor would be a lot better for that.

I would have never thought that in the long run unless I would really have to break down the board as to there were no +buys but that makes a lot of sense making it into a slog when there is no trashing.
I (WORK HARD) for what I want!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.