Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion Deck Analysis Tool  (Read 1739 times)

fuzzyfrap

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Dominion Deck Analysis Tool
« on: January 29, 2015, 03:03:07 pm »

This tool is something I hacked together in Excel.  It's pretty simple, you plug in the number of each card in your deck above the blue line, and it tells you all sorts of statistics about your deck below the blue line. It currently only really applies to the base game because it assumes only basic moneys and VPs.  Though this is sort of intended as a tool to use during games, so that you can have stats in front of you while making decisions, I would recommend against using it in PvP games because of questionable morality and slowing the game down.  It's mainly for when you're testing/creating a new strategy in a bot game.

It should be fairly intuitive, but there is a guide below.

Guide to Use:

At the beginning of the game set the "Total" and "Discard/Hand" rows for all cards to be zero. Set "Total" copper to 7 and "Total" estate to 3. 

Enter the names of the 10 actions in the "Name" row, so that you don't mix them up.

Whenever you draw a card, up the "Discard/Hand" row of that card by one.

Whenever you gain a card, up the "Total" row of that card by one, and the "Discard/Hand" row of that card by one.  If you gained it onto the top of your deck, only increment the "Total".

Whenever you shuffle, set the "Discard/Hand" row for all cards to be zero.

Guide to Reading:

VP represents the number of victory points you have.  "Total" is the number you have, "Deck" is the number still in your deck. (This is kindof useless information I think)

VP cards is the number of victory cards you have, counting curses.  "Total" is the number you have, "Deck" is the number still in your deck.  This information can be useful for considering how often you'll draw useless cards.

$$$ is the amount of actual dollars you have.  ie you start the game with $7 and if you bought a silver you would have $9.  This is useful for if you have a whole deck cycling engine, and need to consider the amount of money you'll have each turn.  One major flaw is that it doesn't account for actions that give +$.

$$$/Card is the average money value of every card.  ie at the beginning of the game the average money value per card is 7/10 = .7 if you bought a silver it would be 9/11 = .818.  This can be useful for when you're playing a draw card, and need to think about how much cash it will net.  (Example: smithy nets three times the value of $$$/card on average)

Cards is just the total number of cards.  It's really useful for all the calculations that take place on this page, but you can also use it to think about when you're going to shuffle.

VP/Garden is the number of victory points a garden would be worth for you.  It's useful if you're deciding between duchy and garden, or province and two gardens.

The %Draws are the probability of drawing each action.  The "Total" row represents the probability if you shuffled your deck right now.  The "Deck" row is the actual probability.  The "in 5"s are the same except they are the probability that you will draw at least one of the action when you draw five cards, a new hand.

Feel free to post questions, comments, or requests for updates.  I guess if it turns out that people actually would use this I'll expand it for alternate treasures and VPs.  Enjoy.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 20 queries.