Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion fan card IV: Another unnamed endless duration card  (Read 3125 times)

Halvard

• Steward
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
Dominion fan card IV: Another unnamed endless duration card
« on: January 22, 2015, 02:29:20 am »
+1

Name: Unnamed
Type: ACTION - DURATION
Cost: 2
Card text:
The first time you play this:
+5 Coins
+1 Buy.
At the start of each of your turns, -1 Coin.

You only get the benefit of +5 Coins and +1 Buy once.  All the other rounds you pay back on your loan.

It is kind of a fun choice to make.  After all, you get +5 Coins for the price of just 2, only you thereafter have one less coin every round. 

Buying it early might get you some strong cards, but you have to pay for it afterwards.  Buying it later and playing it towards the end of the game perhaps made it too good though, although you have to time it well.

What do you think?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10834
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion fan card IV: Another unnamed endless duration card
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 02:49:36 am »
+1

I have no idea if this is balanced, but man it would make for some hard decisions. Which is good unless it causes too much analysis paralysis. I mean, normally you'd want to only play it near the end, when the ongoing effect won't hurt you as much. So buy one later and use it to get that 5th Province. But on the other hand, it could be great to buy turn 1 on the right board, so that you can quickly get a couple power cards right away.

A note about wording, applies to your other card too... No need to say "the first time you play this". Duration cards are not played every turn. They are payed once, and then just affect future turns. Unless it says "At the start of each of your turns" before an effect, that effect would just be a normal one time when you play the card effect.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 04:45:39 am »
+1

you obviously want to play this with procession

Halvard

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 06:06:39 am »

Ah, then you get to trash it?  Clever, did not think of that :)

Halvard

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 06:07:34 am »

I have no idea if this is balanced, but man it would make for some hard decisions. Which is good unless it causes too much analysis paralysis. I mean, normally you'd want to only play it near the end, when the ongoing effect won't hurt you as much. So buy one later and use it to get that 5th Province. But on the other hand, it could be great to buy turn 1 on the right board, so that you can quickly get a couple power cards right away.

A note about wording, applies to your other card too... No need to say "the first time you play this". Duration cards are not played every turn. They are payed once, and then just affect future turns. Unless it says "At the start of each of your turns" before an effect, that effect would just be a normal one time when you play the card effect.

Ok, so:

+5 Coins
+1 Buy.
At the start of each of your turns, -1 Coin.

would suffice as a card text?

Holger

• Jester
  • Respect: +491
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 06:16:17 am »
+4

But trashing it does not remove the future penalty, which is set up when you play the card (just like the future bonuses of other duration cards are).

The penalty only makes sense if you allow the coin supply to be negative at times, which no existing card does. It begs rule questions like "Am I allowed to buy Copper if I have $-1?".

Halvard

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 06:20:19 am »

But trashing it does not remove the future penalty, which is set up when you play the card (just like the future bonuses of other duration cards are).

The penalty only makes sense if you allow the coin supply to be negative at times, which no existing card does. It begs rule questions like "Am I allowed to buy Copper if I have $-1?".

My intention when creating the card was that you are not allowed to buy a Copper (or even a Curse) as they both cost $0 and you do not have that much if you have -$1.  That would have to be a calculated risk you take when you play the card.

Halvard

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 06:22:32 am »
+2

If you Throne Room (or KC) a card like this, I assume the Throne Room stays out with the card (and that you will not get the Throne Room on your hand again)?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10740
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 09:28:14 am »
+1

If you Throne Room (or KC) a card like this, I assume the Throne Room stays out with the card (and that you will not get the Throne Room on your hand again)?

That is correct. And if you Procession it, it gets trashed but the Procession itself stays in play for the rest of the game to remind you of the ongoing effect.

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 09:18:46 am »

well then i guess you want to process a procession thats processioning this.  ;D
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.