Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Obvious Baron?  (Read 2211 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Obvious Baron?
« on: January 21, 2015, 02:31:31 am »
+1

Code: [Select]
Oasis, Smugglers, Advisor, Baron, Fortress, Monument, Spy, Trader, Ghost Ship, Vault
http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20150120/log.54109627e4b0750ebc1f6911.1421825052678.txt

I do think the way to play this board was Monument. My opponent did not go for Monument until it was almost too late even though he had the better engine, and even then he almost came back. The entire time I was playing, I was regretting not buying Baron turn 1 over Monument, because man, I missed that Buy. I had all this money, and nothing to use it on. I had this amazing synergy with Advisor and Vault going on there, which I think would have been a thousand times better with a Baron. That was the most Baron of boards, I'm sure of it.

Trader is slow as molasses with trashing, and with all the Ghost Ships flying around, it was probably not good anyways. Smugglers also helped my opponent in the early game, as he got the Ghost Ship I got turn 3, and other nice things for free, which was why his Engine grew quickly alone with the Baron.

I think if that game was to continue on for a few more turns, I would have been screwed. I did not play better at all, and the mistake I made was not buying Baron turn 1.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: Obvious Baron?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 03:48:37 am »
+2

I think Baron is not the right opening buy here, but at some point you do need the +Buy which means overpaying for him later on. Stef was famous once for playing a game where he spent $11 on an Herbalist because he needed the +Buy.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1207
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 05:38:07 am »
+1

I'm not Stef, but I once spent $24 on a Grand Market for the +buy.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 08:41:43 am »

Both Baron and Monument are fine opens, I'd probably go with Baron myself. There's also a slight synergy between your Baron and your opponent's Ghost Ship.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 11:20:07 am »

Personally, I love Smugglers here because the more the merrier with these non-terminals (Smugglers would be like a Workshop).  I would probably open that and Fortress, because Fortress is the only village.  I realize this is a slow start compared to something like Baron+Oasis, but I don't really see a huge advantage to getting a gold early, compared to most games.  Then again, you want Ghost Ship asap because there's no real counter to it other than already having a lot of Advisors or something.  Smugglers can always give you either of these things, if you're lucky.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 03:00:31 pm »

I think Baron is not the right opening buy here, but at some point you do need the +Buy which means overpaying for him later on. Stef was famous once for playing a game where he spent $11 on an Herbalist because he needed the +Buy.

I want that log. :p
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 03:06:13 pm »

Personally, I love Smugglers here because the more the merrier with these non-terminals (Smugglers would be like a Workshop).  I would probably open that and Fortress, because Fortress is the only village.  I realize this is a slow start compared to something like Baron+Oasis, but I don't really see a huge advantage to getting a gold early, compared to most games.  Then again, you want Ghost Ship asap because there's no real counter to it other than already having a lot of Advisors or something.  Smugglers can always give you either of these things, if you're lucky.

You don't really want Gold here. You want to get as much VP as possible and 3-pile with Baron's +buy. Gold is okay if you want Provinces, but if you're playing a Monument or two a turn, and your opponent is going for straight Provinces, he has to deal with two different things:

1. He has to take a lot longer to build a competent engine/BM deck for Provinces. You only have to play Monument and keep buying pieces to build. He can hurt you with Ghost Ship, but you can do the same to him. Every single turn.

2. He has to gain all 8 Provinces. You don't. He's going to draw things dead as he gets Provinces, and you're not going to. All you have to do is run piles and Monument away. With this board being kinda weak for a traditional Engine (Trader being the only trashing), this is going to be incredibly hard to do, and you almost certainly want to go with a Ghost Ship BM or Advisor/Vault if you don't go Monument. There really is no reason to NOT incorporate a Monument into Ghost Ship BM or Advisor/Vault anyways. (I'll admit, it'll take longer to incorporate Monument into Vault/Advisor)

There's no real reason to get Gold here. Avoid it if you can.

I do like Smugglers here, but it's just another Terminal. Eh. You're not drawing your entire deck, so you don't know what you could get whenever you draw it, so it's a bit swingy.

Also no reason to open with a Village. What is that Village doing to help you in the early game? It's a cantrip with no benefit except +action, which does nothing in the early game. You can pick those up later. Silver and Baron/Monument seems fine to me.

I still like that Advisor/Vault synergy, and man, Baron is going to be huge for that.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 03:14:53 pm by Seprix »

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 03:54:52 pm »

You don't really want Gold here. You want to get as much VP as possible and 3-pile with Baron's +buy. Gold is okay if you want Provinces, but if you're playing a Monument or two a turn, and your opponent is going for straight Provinces, he has to deal with two different things:

1. He has to take a lot longer to build a competent engine/BM deck for Provinces. You only have to play Monument and keep buying pieces to build. He can hurt you with Ghost Ship, but you can do the same to him. Every single turn.

2. He has to gain all 8 Provinces. You don't. He's going to draw things dead as he gets Provinces, and you're not going to. All you have to do is run piles and Monument away. With this board being kinda weak for a traditional Engine (Trader being the only trashing), this is going to be incredibly hard to do, and you almost certainly want to go with a Ghost Ship BM or Advisor/Vault if you don't go Monument. There really is no reason to NOT incorporate a Monument into Ghost Ship BM or Advisor/Vault anyways. (I'll admit, it'll take longer to incorporate Monument into Vault/Advisor)

There's no real reason to get Gold here. Avoid it if you can.

I do like Smugglers here, but it's just another Terminal. Eh. You're not drawing your entire deck, so you don't know what you could get whenever you draw it, so it's a bit swingy.

Also no reason to open with a Village. What is that Village doing to help you in the early game? It's a cantrip with no benefit except +action, which does nothing in the early game. You can pick those up later. Silver and Baron/Monument seems fine to me.

I still like that Advisor/Vault synergy, and man, Baron is going to be huge for that.

Whoever said your opponent is going to go for Provinces?  I would never go green here, with Spy, GS, and Monument.  Too much junk top deckers to want green, except in the endgame.

Assuming you're both going for the same thing -- Monuments + some kind of engine -- then that's exactly why I like Smugglers.  It would help you to win the Advisor, Fortress, Spy, and Oasis splits (in theory), all of which help towards playing more Monuments and playing GS every turn.  And you don't even need a +buy -- Smugglers is your +buy.  I would then go green once I had enough Advisors to cycle through pretty much everything.

You make a good point about the Fortress being useless at the beginning though.  But I definitely eventually want as many of those as possible.

But honestly, I really don't know.  This is just my thought process, which is right slightly greater than 50% of the time.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 04:08:19 pm by Dingan »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.