Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Awesome comeback on an interesting board  (Read 1285 times)

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
Awesome comeback on an interesting board
« on: January 02, 2015, 11:11:40 am »
+1

Code: [Select]
Advisor, Feodum, Herald, JackOfAllTrades, Thief, Catacombs, Library, Minion, Upgrade, Forge
Log: http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20150102/log.50733066fca2ca7237ee9b77.1420214391875.txt

There's a nice engine, but no +buy. There's Jack/Feodum countered by Thief. When I see my opponent goes for Jack, I decide for the engine. I misplay a bit and then my opponent has 3 Provinces and 7 Duchies... the majority of the VP cards, right? No, there' still Feodum! Feodum, which doesn't fit into my strategy at all. I get four (!) Thieves, and manage to steal almost all his treasures. In the end, I somehow pull out a win.

What's the best strategy here? I wonder if this is an A > B > C > A board with Jack/BM> Jack/Feodum > Engine > Jack/BM
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
Re: Awesome comeback on an interesting board
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 11:18:23 am »

Nope, not a RPS board. Engine > everything else, as usual. If not for thief, I might be persuaded otherwise... but thief will kill feodum in the long game.

I think there's a place for jack in the engine too, because silvers for feodum if necessary and for turning into herald/advisors. In the early game it's better than upgrade, in the middle game it's bad, in the late game it's good again.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 11:41:52 am »
+1

RPS boards are myths in my experience. Mainly because there's almost never three good things, but also because your strategy is rarely fixed by early decisions (i.e there's no "throw" of rock, papers, scissors) Here an engine beats everything else, but you can open Jack/Silver either way and do whatever you want later.

The engine wants a second Upgrade much sooner than you got one I believe. I'm not sure, but I might prefer a deck with fewer Minions that focuses on drawing the whole deck more reliably, you would try to mass up Advisors/Heralds and a few Catacombs. This style of deck can make better use of Forge/Upgrade and might let you plan out your future turns a little more easily. Obviously you'll miss using the Minion attack, but the money isn't so important. If they have a lot of Jacks or if they have a good engine the Minion attack might not be as important.

The number of $7 hands your opponent gets is hilarious/painful. He also skips Minion/Upgrades on early 5s and there's no reason to do that because they are both great with Jack (even if you are aiming for something with more treasures), it denies Minions to the engine player, and Minions/Upgrade are non Thiefable sources of economy. He takes Duchies too soon as well.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 12:06:36 pm by Mic Qsenoch »

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 12:08:32 pm »

RPS boards are myths in my experience.
I agree. I don't think I've ever come across a randomly generated one.
you can open Jack/Silver
So I'm not insane, good.
you would try to mass up Advisors/Heralds and a few Catacombs. This style of deck can make better use of Forge/Upgrade and might let you plan out your future turns a little more easily.
Forge catacombs + silver --> province + herald

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 05:47:59 pm »

Nope, not a RPS board. Engine > everything else, as usual. If not for thief, I might be persuaded otherwise... but thief will kill feodum in the long game.

I am not convinced that engine is best it looks bit slow. It could have edge with feodum, without that a doublejack+5 minion hybrid should accumulate vp faster.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.574 seconds with 20 queries.