Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Making Bridge/Native Village better?  (Read 4736 times)

Toskk

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
Making Bridge/Native Village better?
« on: December 19, 2011, 09:43:49 pm »

Yes, the combo is already very fast on its own.. averaging all 8 Provinces in just over 14 turns (best case 13, worst-case 17) as long as you make sure not to accidentally NV away your ability to keep purchasing Bridges.. but does anything make the combo faster? I've tried the usual support cards that I can think of.. Talisman, Workshop, etc.. but none of them appear to actually help at all. Talisman is great while it stays in your deck, although it can sometimes lead to too many Native Villages too quickly if you're not careful.. but once it gets to the Native Village mat, it just makes me sad it wasn't another Bridge. Is Bridge/NV "as good as it gets", or can it be improved on with another support card? :)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
Re: Making Bridge/Native Village better?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 10:23:27 pm »

My initial gut feeling is that Wishing Well will help. Wish for a card you don't want to bury on your mat. If it is one of those, well, Native Village happily. If it's a card you don't want to put on there, well, don't.

As for other cards... Hm. Some attacks might help - obviously they won't speed you up, but they'll slow the opponent down. Of course, those same attacks could slow you down too, so it's a double edged sword. The most useful might be Ghost Ship. It'll slightly help you if the opponent plays one insofar as you can choose what to NV from your hand, which at least takes the edge off it, and if the opponent is building a different deck to you, it will probably hurt him.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +597
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 12:13:42 am »

If the idea is to add buying power that you're not going to accidentally Native Village away, then this sounds like a job for Stash.

Elyv

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 12:19:39 am »

Bridge/NV can have trouble getting up to 5, and I'm not convinced that Stash is better than just buying another bridge.

Anon79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 12:24:30 am »

Peddler?

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 03:59:57 am »

Ironworks for guaranteed Bridges?

With Peddler, you have to watch out that the game doesn't end on piles before you pulled off the megaturn, though.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 04:10:36 am »

Ironworks for guaranteed Bridges?

With Peddler, you have to watch out that the game doesn't end on piles before you pulled off the megaturn, though.

I just had a game like that. I opened Ironworks/NV, and then misclicked and got a second IW instead of a bridge the first time I drew IW, but that worked out fine. We ended up splitting the NVs and Bridges 5-5 each.

There were also highways and workers villages on the board, so we danced around those until I had enough buys to buy out the remaining Workers Villages and end it.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 04:31:38 am by ftl »

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 07:12:52 am »

Actually, with Native Villages you don't really need the +Action Ironworks provides you with, so something like Workshop/Bridge or even Workshop/Ironworks could work, with Workshop having the advantage that it doesn't occupy your 4$-buy. I haven't tested neither options, though.
I had a game with Peddler/NV/Bridge, but it ended with 8 Provinces on turn 14, so I don't think the Peddlers helped that much. You don't need that much money and, while a cantrip, you lose momentum when you play Native Village and hit a Peddler.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 08:33:46 am »

The cards that I would consider would be throne, watchtower, or menagerie. Throne seems like the likeliest but in all the other cases you'v got two problems - each other card you buy could have been a native village and each time you put the other card on the mat it delays the stockpile.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 08:55:01 am »

Copper is a good support card... Sometimes luck (bad) will cause all your money to be put on your mat. Since emptying the mat before your mega-turn is really bad, you need to make sure you'll be able to continue buying Bridges/NV's so buy Copper(s) when your economy has been stolen by the Natives...

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 10:28:20 am »
+1

I can't believe I'm saying this, but what about Duchess? Extra $ drives your economy, it's being a terminal is not a huge worry, and it gives you a little more control over what your NVs hit.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 11:38:34 am »

I've had a think, and I think the best support card you can get might just be the lowly Courtyard. It's easy to buy, it improves your hand, and in the likely case you've played one NV and (after Courtyard) got another NV in hand, you basically choose what to send to your mat.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 01:33:32 pm »
+3

the lowly Courtyard

You misspelled awesome.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 07:25:46 pm »

Well, I guess. It's one of those cards I see people say is a strong $2, yet I rarely ever find it worthwhile.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 07:47:16 pm »

Have you ever played masquerade/Big Money? DoubleJack? Well, Courtyard/BM is faster. And it plays very well in draw engines, often preferable to smithy. For $2? Yeah, it's that good.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.657 seconds with 21 queries.