Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Confused about 'gaining'  (Read 3555 times)

calivaty

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Confused about 'gaining'
« on: December 27, 2014, 04:53:41 pm »

Hi Guys,

I got Hinterslands for Christmas (yeah!) but i'm now very confused about the term gaining. I wonder if my Dutch rulebook translated everything correctly.

I understand that you gain a card when you buy it. But i'm confused if drawing a card is considered gaining as well. Let's say I play a simple 'Village'. I now have +1 Card. Is that considered gaining a card as well?

Thanks a lot!

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
Re: Confused about 'gaining'
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 05:09:42 pm »
+4

Hi Guys,

I got Hinterslands for Christmas (yeah!) but i'm now very confused about the term gaining. I wonder if my Dutch rulebook translated everything correctly.

I understand that you gain a card when you buy it. But i'm confused if drawing a card is considered gaining as well. Let's say I play a simple 'Village'. I now have +1 Card. Is that considered gaining a card as well?

Thanks a lot!

Drawing is not gaining; gaining is just when you get a card from the Supply. Either through buying, or through other means like Remodel.

calivaty

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 05:20:17 pm »

Thanks for your help and the quick reply!!! :)

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1207
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 08:13:13 pm »
+4

Note that some Hinterlands cards trigger when you gain them (e.g. Border Village) while others trigger only when you buy them (e.g. Farmland)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 08:15:17 pm by Marcory »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 09:10:31 am »
+1

Ugh, i remember how the german rulebook messed up the gaining thing... They claimed gaining was different than buying and only happened in your Action phase by the means of Workshop etc. The Hinterlands rulebook isn't even consistant with the term, though they struggled to get it right, claiming those were "new rules"...
Long story short, i wouldn't be surprised if your rulebook too contains some mistranslations ;-)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 09:11:34 am by Asper »

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 03:58:54 pm »
+3

Drawing is not gaining; gaining is just when you get a card from the Supply. Either through buying, or through other means like Remodel.

You can also gain from non-Supply piles such as Spoils, Madman, Mercenary, the Prizes and the Black Market Deck.
You can also gain from trash with the cards Thief, Noble Brigand, Rogue and Graverobber.
Simply put, you gain a card (1) after you buy it, and (2) whenever a card tells you to "gain" a card.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 07:28:44 pm by Jeebus »

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2984
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 05:12:59 pm »

(2) whenever a card tells you to "gain" a card.
... and this is possible.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 07:38:31 pm »
+1

I just realized that Fortress doesn't say that you gain it when you trash it, just "put it into your hand". So I guess that even though the card is in trash and you get it, this doesn't count as gaining it? So you can't use Watchtower to put in your deck or Trader to get a Silver instead.

Does anyone know if that's how Goko implements it too?

Is this the only card other than Masquerade that gives you a card without you gaining it? Hmm, well Possession is a third one. You get back cards that were trashed, and it doesn't count as gaining them.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 07:39:45 pm »

I just realized that Fortress doesn't say that you gain it when you trash it, just "put it into your hand". So I guess that even though the card is in trash and you get it, this doesn't count as gaining it? So you can't use Watchtower to put in your deck or Trader to get a Silver instead.

Does anyone know if that's how Goko implements it too?

Is this the only card other than Masquerade that gives you a card without you gaining it? Hmm, well Possession is a third card. You get cards that were trashed back, and it doesn't count as gaining them.
It does not count as gaining, and I'm not sure it counts as 'giving' either. Goko implements it correctly.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 09:20:01 am »

It does not count as gaining, and I'm not sure it counts as 'giving' either. Goko implements it correctly.

I just meant that, just like with Masquerade and Possession, it gives you a card that you previously didn't have. A card in the trash doesn't belong to any player. But the when-trash effect of Fortress is that the card goes from trash and into your hand.
Masquerade transfers a card from another player's hand to your hand.
Possession transfers a card from trash to set-aside, and then from there to your discard.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25715
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 04:48:51 pm »

I just meant that, just like with Masquerade and Possession, it gives you a card that you previously didn't have. A card in the trash doesn't belong to any player. But the when-trash effect of Fortress is that the card goes from trash and into your hand.
Masquerade transfers a card from another player's hand to your hand.
Possession transfers a card from trash to set-aside, and then from there to your discard.
Yes, Fortress going to your hand is not gaining.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.109 seconds with 22 queries.