Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Princed Bishop+Masquerade, and all coppers/curses in trash.  (Read 3808 times)

polot38

• Baron
  • Respect: +35
    • View Profile
Princed Bishop+Masquerade, and all coppers/curses in trash.
« on: February 07, 2015, 10:08:03 am »
+5

Okay, so suppose the following scenario occurs:
I have princed a single bishop, and a couple of masquerades. In my actual deck and hand, however, there are no cards. I have managed to trash my opponents deck, and they have no cards princed. Through continuous buying and trashing, all of the coppers and curses are gone, and there are no 1$ or 0$ cards in the kingdom, so it is literally impossible to end the game. However, i have essentially infinite victory points through bishop.
So, do i win this game? One one hand, it can never end, but on the other, i clearly have more VP's than my opponent?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Princed Bishop+Masquerade, and all coppers/curses in trash.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 10:22:32 am »

One of you can concede the game.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 10:23:45 am »
+4

The winner is the player with most VP when the game ends.  If the game never ends then you do not win.

polot38

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 10:37:56 am »

So it would just go on until someone conceded, or a draw was agreed to?

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 11:25:23 am »
+12

The official ruling is that everybody starves to death.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 07:40:02 pm »
+20

So, do i win this game? One one hand, it can never end, but on the other, i clearly have more VP's than my opponent?
As everyone learns the hard way at some point, you don't win by having more VP than your opponent; you win by the game ending when you have more VP than your opponent.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 01:43:30 pm »

A simplified version of this would be that one player Islands an Estate on turn 3, then both players buy chapel and piledrive the curses and coppers and trash their decks with each of their Chapels.  This scenario seems equally likely to arise in actual play, to me.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 05:52:06 pm »
+1

A simplified version of this would be that one player Islands an Estate on turn 3, then both players buy chapel and piledrive the curses and coppers and trash their decks with each of their Chapels.  This scenario seems equally likely to arise in actual play, to me.
Unlike your scenario, Prince+Bishop+Masquerade seems like a reasonable pin idea unless you realize that you can't actually win the game. It might sometimes even be the best strategy provided you deplete one other pile first so that Coppers+Curses ends the game. Prince+Bishop plus five Princes+Masquerades are required to establish a full lock (provided your deck is trashed), but if you're not contesting Provinces, it's plausible that you can set up those six Princes before your opponent buys all eight Provinces, since they cost the same amount per card.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 05:53:08 pm by blueblimp »

polot38

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 01:18:00 am »
+1

Unlike your scenario, Prince+Bishop+Masquerade seems like a reasonable pin idea unless you realize that you can't actually win the game. It might sometimes even be the best strategy provided you deplete one other pile first so that Coppers+Curses ends the game. Prince+Bishop plus five Princes+Masquerades are required to establish a full lock (provided your deck is trashed), but if you're not contesting Provinces, it's plausible that you can set up those six Princes before your opponent buys all eight Provinces, since they cost the same amount per card.

You wouldn't actually need a whole 5 masquerades, if you just had like 2 or 3, your opponent is unlikely to be able to gain cards (or end the game) fast enough to avoid their entire deck going in the trash.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 04:41:16 pm »

You wouldn't actually need a whole 5 masquerades, if you just had like 2 or 3, your opponent is unlikely to be able to gain cards (or end the game) fast enough to avoid their entire deck going in the trash.
Good point. I still had my head in the old pin system where a concern was preventing your opponent from playing Masquerade themselves, but here it doesn't matter. It may be better to set up two Prince+Bishop so that piling Copper+Curse+Estate is a possibility.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.972 seconds with 21 queries.