Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Progress (Alpha) (updated July 6th!)  (Read 10794 times)

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +864
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Progress (Alpha) (updated July 6th!)
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2015, 01:04:57 pm »
+2

There are a bunch of problems with Discovery which Asper, Fragasnap and I figured out while discussing your cards. I mean, I really like the idea but it's still quite problematic. First off, in multiplayer games where multiple cards are put onto the Discovery mat each turn it could become very confusing how many cards of which card have to be discarded from the mat at what point of time. Also, the card seems very weak. You would only play it to gain action cards costing $5+ and then each player can use (basically discard) any of the cards in their hand to play a copy of the card you gained for free and then buy a copy of it regularly without any disadvantage. We were reluctant to play with Discovery because we assumed that you could play literally any card from your hand (even an Estate) as a card from the Discovery mat and not even use up their action for it. This penalty seems like it's not worth it. Is that how you intended the card to be?
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2015, 01:22:07 pm »
+1

Seconding what CookieLord wrote, i think you could make the card a bit easier to track by scrapping the Discovery Mat completely and setting the newly gained card aside with Discovery instead:

Discovery, $4, Action-Duration
Gain an action card and set it aside. At the start of your next turn: Put it in your hand.
---
While this is in play, at the start of his turn each other player may play an action card from his hand as if it was the card you set aside with this. If they do, it is that card until it leaves play.

Still doesn't cost them an action, but at least it's limited in that players need to use another action card for it. It's a bit better because it draws more cards, but then it's still pretty weak i think.

Edit: Actually, i think this would be even better:

Discovery, $4, Action-Duration
Gain an action card and set it aside. At the start of your next turn: Play it.
---
While this is in play, at the start of his turn each other player may play an action card from his hand as if it was the card you set aside with this. If they do, it is that card until it leaves play.

Cancels out the fact that other players don't need to spend an action by making it free for you as well.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 01:29:43 pm by Asper »

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2015, 05:23:04 pm »
+1

Discovery has been the clunkiest card in my set for a while. Those are good ideas. I originally had it on top of your deck to anti-synergize with possession. However, Possession already has a lot of bad interactions, so I guess adding one more can't be too bad.

I like your simplification - if you can get rid of a mat, you really should. Your second one is better, I think, because it means it still could be good with terminal draw, which was problematic for my original version.

Originally, Discovery was meant to synergize with Cultist, Treasure Map, Conspirator, etc, where what one player needs to gain would not be as useful for the other player.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2015, 05:30:47 pm »
+1

Also, the card seems very weak. You would only play it to gain action cards costing $5+ and then each player can use (basically discard) any of the cards in their hand to play a copy of the card you gained for free and then buy a copy of it regularly without any disadvantage. We were reluctant to play with Discovery because we assumed that you could play literally any card from your hand (even an Estate) as a card from the Discovery mat and not even use up their action for it. This penalty seems like it's not worth it. Is that how you intended the card to be?

It was, but you're right that the penalty is rather strong. It would still be strong, I think, in slow games, where the permanency of the gain outweighs the one use your opponents get of it, but in normal engine games it would probably be too weak. Therefore it has been changed to Asper's second version (and I'll need to playtest it again).
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.055 seconds with 21 queries.