Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Upgrade Rats  (Read 2130 times)

Chaos

• Steward
  • Respect: +30
    • View Profile
Upgrade Rats
« on: December 12, 2014, 01:17:43 pm »
+1

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20141212/log.516d3391e4b082c74d7b3910.1418406320068.txt

In this game I decided to try just getting lots of rats and upgrading them into duchies although I'm not sure if it's a "thing". I did end up winning but it took a while (14 turns) and I think it was mainly because my opponent didn't expect it.

So is this a good plan and can it be faster? I think it could and that I got a bit unlucky with the upgrades not colliding with rats but that could just be my bias. Or is just not fast enough?

As a side note; what is the fastest possible three pile with perfect shuffle luck if you only buy rats, upgrade and money/green? Also, how fast can you do it in solo on Goko? (I don't have cards)

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrade Rats
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 01:45:34 pm »

I doubt that Rats/Upgrade is the best strategy here. It sure worked out nicely for you, but only because your opponent went for Rats as well. Emptying the Rats pile alone would take considerably longer. Note that all your opponent needs to beat your strategy is 2 Colonies and a Duchy (23 points vs 7*3=21 points from your Duchies). That should be possible before you can end the game. Once you lost that race, there's no way of coming back.

That said, if there ever was a board where your strategy might be viable, it's this one. So incredibly weak, and a BM player gets stopped by Militia. Getting Madmen and Forge to trash all your bad stuff at once might be a thing, but is also dangerous due to the presence of Militia. I'd probably just go Spice Merchant/Silver or Militia/Silver (Spice Merchant if I see you open Rats), some Upgrades, one or two Militias, and money.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 02:58:21 pm »

Rats, Upgrade, and Fortress is a thing. In the game you played, without Fortress, emptying Duchies and three piles was more like an opportunity. Your opponent wasn't careful.

Rats, Upgrade can absolutely be useful; however, just not often is it going to be used with the end of three piling on Duchies in mind.

dereeder

• Steward
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 03:51:57 pm »
+1

After your T13 your deck was 1 duchy, 7 upgrade, 6 rats with an empty rats pile. You had no way to gain an eighth duchy except by upgrading upgrade into gold and buying it. He gave you the 3-pile opportunity when he bought a duchy himself.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 04:51:31 pm »

Trashing rats this way is rather haphazard without better drawing. Good drawing give you control of the rat combos. If your opponent had frequently played militia then you would have struggled with hand size. The big risk with this sort of strategy however is that you get behind on points and cannot do anything else apart from empty piles for your own defeat.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 05:02:56 pm »

This is excellent with a little bit of support. Your deck needs to be able to do more than just upgrade rats though, in general.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 05:05:28 pm »

I think you want Upgrade, Rats and Militia, and later Forge. Forge rats into Provinces FTW, or even upgrade Prov into Plats to buy Colonies. It will surely beat any BM.

EDIT: You want to open Militia/Silver because not getting Upgrade is a catastrophe and you can be left with too many Rats.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 05:08:30 pm »

oh there's forge? Yeah, do that. Also if you get enough upgrades you can just turn everything into provinces.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 11:48:58 pm »

Should one bother with Spice Merchant to clear your deck of Copper to hit the Upgrades more often?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.537 seconds with 21 queries.