Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Fealty  (Read 20951 times)

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
Dominion: Fealty
« on: December 10, 2014, 11:41:51 pm »
+5

Hello, Dominion Strategy Forum! I’ve been semi-lurking here for quite some time, and it’s high time I made some contributions of my own. I proudly present the opening draft of:

Dominion: Fealty

I have roughly 15 cards planned so far, with more on the way. I will post about 5 of them per post, with comments and design concerns. Naturally, I don’t expect this to match the glory of an actual expansion or Dominion: Enterprise, but the closer I can come, the better!

Our first card:

$4 Action: Manor

+1 Card
+2 Actions

When you buy this card, place it on your Loyalty Mat.

As you’ve likely guessed, the Loyalty Mat is the central mechanic of Dominion: Fealty. At any point during your action phase, without spending an action, you may move any number of cards from your Loyalty Mat into your hand. This is to Lab what coin tokens are to Peddler. In fact, given that the extra card you get is often exactly the one you need, it is substantially more powerful than Lab-on-demand!

To give an example, suppose you have a Smithy and an Oracle in your deck. You purchase Manor on turn 3, and discover a terminal collision on turn 4. You can choose to add Manor to your hand on that turn, play it, and then successfully play both of your draw cards. Hopefully you have some way to use the massive handsize!

After Manor is finally taken from the Loyalty Mat, it’s just another village. However, the fact that you can insert it into your hand at exactly the right moment makes it very useful in adding consistency to decks with a high terminal draw-village ratio. I’ve wavered somewhat on a cost of $4 vs. $5, but have cautiously placed it at $4 due to the fact that its unique properties can only be utilized once.

Other cards in this set will make use of the mat, sometimes in game-altering ways. It is possible for any kind of card to wind up on the Loyalty Mat at some point during the game. I have waivered somewhat on how the Loyalty Mat should handle victory cards. For now, I suspect that allowing an Island-Style effect will lead to an excessive number of simple golden decks in the set. My solution: cards on the Loyalty Mat make no contribution to overall score. If a player is concerned about this, they can simply return the victory cards on the mat to their hand. Take note, however, that missing a three-pile becomes quite perilous with this ruling. If the game is about to end next turn, it is probably a good idea to get your victory cards off of the Loyalty Mat and into the deck ASAP.

Now for something a little different. This next card uses no flashy new variant rules, and sounds pretty simple on paper, but fits into a very interesting niche.

$2 Treasure: Ore.

+1$, +1 Buy.

When this card is in play, all Treasure cards cost $1 less, to a minimum of $0.

So, basically just Bridge for treasures. Here’s the thing, though: how many treasures do you want? Ore is obviously amazing at picking up other Ore. Get two of them in play, and you can guzzle up some Silvers. On the whole, though, it doesn’t create the sort of condensed payload that an engine cares about. In my opinion, this is a plus. While still moderately useful in an engine that can play a bunch of treasure, Ore is substantially stronger in Big Money, and outstanding in slogs. And while Masterpiece might require a pricey hand to flood your deck with Silver, a relatively small hand with Ore might be able to get a little Gold as well. Pretty simple, but I’m glad it exists. Oh, and one more thing: the pile can empty pretty quickly if people use the discount to pick up free copies of extra Ore.

Village, buy… how bout some draw?

$5 Action: Crop Rotation

Set aside all cards in your hand with the same card type (Action, treasure, etc.). Draw until you have 5 cards in your hand, then return the set aside cards to your hand.

I’m personally pretty fond of this one. Library’s great when you can spend the actions you draw, but sometimes victory or treasure cards will enter and clog things up. Crop Rotation can set them aside: your hand essentially doesn’t count those for Draw-to-X purposes. However, Crop Rotation also has a smaller handsize cap. I hope that further playtesting will improve this card, but for now, I think it’s off to a good start.

I’ve got two attacks thought up so far (although the second sorta splits, Urchin-Mercenary style). I also have two high-powered cards at $6 that I may need to tone down. They overlap. Here goes nothin’…

$6 Action-Attack: Assassin

+$2.

Your opponent places their deck into their discard pile. Choose and set aside two cards in their discard pile. Shuffle their discard pile into a new deck, and return the two set aside cards to the discard pile.

I’ve always had a weakness for Chancellor and Scavenger’s ability to bring about reshuffles, and tried to brainstorm an attack that would do the opposite. Ideally, this attack would increase the urgency of the reshuffle. Ghost ship worked at slowing the reshuffle, but didn’t fit what I was looking for. I thought of a card that would take junk from the discard pile and shuffle it back into the deck like a perverted Inn, but this would obviously become a nightmare if stacked. Assassin is my solution. The attack is basically equivalent to two extremely lucky Spy plays, but it’s still pretty nasty. This is priced at $6 because it can prevent an opponent from seeing either of their opening buys if I price it at $5. For now, $6 seems about right. Playtesting shows it to be very strong, but it certainly wouldn’t be the first strong attack Dominion has had. I look forward to feedback.

$5 Action: Quest
+2 Cards
Set a card in your hand aside on the Loyalty Mat.

This is one of the simplest cards in the set, but fairly nice overall. It works nicely in Big Money, and the removal of simple cards like copper or estate makes into a sort of pseudotrasher. It is a very straightforward tool for adding cards to your Loyalty Mat, and manages to do so without cutting your handsize down. What to y’all think?

So that’s that. I have a few more cards to share in the future. Some are elegant, some complicated. Some are dreadfully unbalanced. Send me whatever feedback you can, positive or negative. I eagerly await it!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 11:51:16 pm by JacquesTheBard »

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Fealty
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 01:12:19 am »

I'm not sure how I like the Loyalty Mat, it will probably depend what you do with it.  I think Manor is pretty solid, I don't have much to say about it.

I'm not really a fan of Ore, but I tend to not like cards that encourage getting treasures in general.  I'm guessing it'll be dead on a pretty high percentage of boards, but situationally very useful.

Crop Rotation seems pretty cool, except I'm not sure I understand it.  Do you get to pick a type, then set aside all cards of that type?  If so, I think you need a rewording (if not, I'm not sure what it means, so you probably need a rewording in either case).  Anyway, assuming that's what it means, I think it's a really cool card.  I'm not sure how it is balance-wise, you will need to playtest it a lot.  Probably bad occasionally, good pretty often, and then occasionally amazing.  It may be too strong for BM though.  I'm not sure if this is intended, but Crop Rotation+Ore is probably really good.  Anyway, the "set aside, then draw up to X" mechanic is awesome, so even if you need to change the implementation of it, it's a really great idea and I hope it works out.

Assassin is a nice idea, it's something unique we haven't seen before for an attack.  But I think it will create too much AP.  For 2-player it may be okay, though that's still a lot of cards to look through and think about (I think it takes much longer to make a decision about someone else's deck than your own, partly because you're not as familiar with it).  But for 3 or 4 players, I think it's probably really slow.  Also, since you get to choose separately for each opponent, there's potential for politics; e.g., "I'll discard coppers for you this time if you discard coppers for me next time", while hurting the third player.  Though I guess you can also do this sort of thing with Spy and Oracle, but since this is a much stronger deck-mucking attack, these sort of political plays are a lot more reasonable.  There's also a concern that it will be anti-fun.  Players don't want to watch their good cards go by, they want to play them; though again, there are a lot of official attack cards about which you could say the same thing.  It's a really nice idea, but I think it will take some work to make it really work out.  Also, I think $6 is too expensive, I would probably start testing at $5, but it's hard to say with such a unique effect.

I don't have much to say on Quest, except it made me realize that the Loyalty Mat could get really crowded and messy.  The problem is, unlike Native Village, you can choose any combination of cards on the mat to add to your hand at any time, that's bound to cause lots of AP in some cases.  So I would recommend being really careful about that, try to make the cards that get other cards onto the mat terminal so you don't end up with too much there at once.

Also, can you really grab cards at any point during your action phase?  Like, even in the middle of resolving another card?  Someone is bound to come up with a way to do break all the rules with that.

Anyway, I think I really like Manor and Crop Rotation.  I hope you can find a way to make Assassin work, though I'm not too optimistic about it.  I'm looking forward to seeing more of your cards!

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 01:29:21 am »
+1

Thanks, Scott! Believe it or not, the Assassin was sorta inspired by the "Lucky Spy" thought experiment I talked about in puzzles once. Crop Rotation does actually let you choose the card type you set aside. Glad you liked Manor, but if you are worried about the Loyalty Mat growing too bulky, that will certainly be a problem with some of the other cards I have planned. Still, if it doesn't work, better I find out sooner than later.

Analysis Paralysis isn't something I really worried about while constructing this set, but now that I look for it, there are lots of potential instances. Hopefully that can be managed. In any case, I appreciate your feedback.

Aidan Millow

• Bishop
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 03:03:12 am »

Like Scott I'm not sold on the Loyalty Mat; I'm not sure there's design space to use it as the basis for a large set (fine for a small one though). Of course if you have plenty of ideas then great.
As for individual cards:
Manor and ore both looks solid and interesting plenty of the time. I disagree with Scott about how often ore will be useful as it's a non-terminal +buy for 2; I feel like the bridge effect will often be ignored but the card will still be useful.
Crop rotation needs a wording fix but is otherwise good, possibly something like: choose a card type (action, victory or treasure), set aside all cards of that type...
Quest doesn't feel like a 5 to me. The +2 cards only serves to replace itself and the card you set aside so you've spent your action to put a card onto your mat. The closest comparison is Haven which gives much less versatility on when you return the card but costs 2 and is non-terminal. The concept works though.
Assassin definitely needs to be toned down. The attack is powerful enough to act as a soft lock if you can play even one a turn and it hurts a lot even if you don't have that consistency, the best way to handle this effect imo would be on a (much cheaper) one shot.
I hope these criticisms are helpful as opposed to disheartening.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5159
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 04:29:52 am »
+1

Just a note on the Loyality Mat: I think it might work out nicely, but you need to be aware that this kind of mechanic greatly enables megaturn strategies: I'm pretty sure that any game with Quest/Bridge/KC will be a race of "who can set aside KC-KC-Bridge-Bridge-Bridge faster?" Now that's not necessarily a bad thing, but if the major new mechanic of the set is about megaturns, you probably want the cards in the set to somehow support/counter such strategies, so that they work together nicely.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 05:25:37 am »

The attack is powerful enough to act as a soft lock if you can play even one a turn and it hurts a lot even if you don't have that consistency, the best way to handle this effect imo would be on a (much cheaper) one shot.

Agree with that.

Just a note on the Loyality Mat: I think it might work out nicely, but you need to be aware that this kind of mechanic greatly enables megaturn strategies: I'm pretty sure that any game with Quest/Bridge/KC will be a race of "who can set aside KC-KC-Bridge-Bridge-Bridge faster?" Now that's not necessarily a bad thing, but if the major new mechanic of the set is about megaturns, you probably want the cards in the set to somehow support/counter such strategies, so that they work together nicely.

Maybe you can restrict the capacity of Loyality Mat (by three cards for exampe), so that it won't be such a crazy megaturn enabler?

Crop Rotation is pretty cool, but it seems to be ridiculously strong.
Imagine you opened with it on 5/2 and drew it with four coppers, you just end up with nine cards in hand on turn three(if I understood the mechanics correct) :)
Maybe you just discard instead of setting aside?

Overall I think your ideas are very interesting. Good luck with that!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 05:41:35 am by Burning Skull »

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • See you in the Outpost
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 07:07:42 am »
+1

Maybe you just discard instead of setting aside?

Well, never mind that, it would be a pretty bad Cellar variant...

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 07:29:39 am »

it looks bit weak for me, you lose tempo by setting cards aside compared to say KC-scheme-bridge..

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • See you in the Outpost
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 07:46:58 am »
+1

it looks bit weak for me, you lose tempo by setting cards aside compared to say KC-scheme-bridge..

Not a lot of things are fast compared to KC-scheme-bridge

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 10:55:57 am »

I was fully aware of the megaturn potential of the Loyalty Mat, and considered that more of a feature than a bug. For reference, two other cards that use it are a $5 treasure that places all purchased cards onto the Loyalty Mat, and a $6 action that places 3(!) cards there after discarding hand and deck like a Tactician/Chancellor fusion. Given that these cards obviously feed into megaturn strategies in a big way, I definitely understand if I need to tone them down. It's sad to see a central concept of an expansion fail, but at least I've got some other good ideas.

Burningskull, Crop Rotation is absolutely as powerful as it sounds. And yes, it will give you a 9-card hand if you draw it with 4 cards of the same type. It won't always be better than Library, given that Festival engines and such empty the hand anyway and drawing up to 7 is stronger than drawing up to 5, but it will probably be better 70% of the time. Still, I think its effect is unique enough to make it worth keeping. Remember that it's still a Draw-to-X card. Unless you draw mostly treasures after setting aside treasures, you likely won't be able to draw as much with subsequent plays of the card.

I'm surprised that Quest doesn't seem like a 5 to you, and I will playtest it further to make sure. You are entirely correct in your assessment that Assassin has a dangerous potential to lock players down, creating more 1st-turn advantage. The 1-shot idea is interesting. That definitely worked well at preventing Pillage from becoming too dominant, and it would certainly keep Assassin strong without killing the opponent's chances.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 11:32:12 am »
+2

Let's see

+1 Card
+2 Actions
I don't think this effect should be on-buy, because it comes with a bunch of problems. You gain a card after you buy it, but you resolve buy effects before you gain it. So, you buy this, then it goes onto your mat, and then you attempt to gain it. I'd interpret this as, you fail at gaining it because it's no longer in the supply, and therefore it stays on your mat. That's not good though, because it screws with on-gain effects from other cards, like watchtower or trader. Another interpretation would be, you still gain it, in which case the on-buy effect does nothing, because it goes to your discard pile after being set onto your mat. I'd make it on-gain instead.

The card itself has the "problem" of substituting silver in your T1/2 buys, because it will draw +1 card. the only other village that does this is shanty town, but shanty town is really more of a terminal early on, which makes it okay. Although it's certainly debatable how bad that is.

Set aside all cards in your hand with the same card type (Action, treasure, etc.). Draw until you have 5 cards in your hand, then return the set aside cards to your hand.
The wording for this doesn't really work (I wouldn't even understand the effect if you hadn't explained it). It needs to be something like "Choose a Card Type. Reveal your hand. Set all cards with the chosen type aside. Draw until you have 5 cards in hand. Return the set aside cards to your hand."

Basically, this draws one card plus one per card of the most common type in your hand. I don't like it, but I don't have any suggestion how to fix it. I don't think looking at card types in your hand is that good of an idea, and if anything I'd reward variety rather than the lack of it. It's also weird because getting additional Action cards in hand doesn't actually help you, it just doesn't hurt you. I only see this card being good in BM, where it'll draw one card + one card per treasure card in your hand, which is very strong but pretty boring.

+$2.

Your opponent places their deck into their discard pile. Choose and set aside two cards in their discard pile. Shuffle their discard pile into a new deck, and return the two set aside cards to the discard pile.
The wording is really inconsistent with official cards - you should probably look up official wordings, unless it's intentional. You don't have "one opponent", you can have 3+ player games. It needs to be something like:

+2$
Each other player puts his deck into his discard pile. Look through each discard pile and set aside two cards from it. Each other player then shuffles his discard pile into his deck and discards the chosen cards.
Honestly though, I wouldn't encourage an effect like this, regardless of the wording, because it'll create a lot of AP. Attacks and Reactions are usually quick to resolve, the slowest one is secret chamber, and even that doesn't take nearly as long as choosing the two best cards out of each opponent's deck. Also, I doubt it should cost 6$.

+2 Cards
This looks fine, although there's no reason why it is +2 cards instead of +3. This is a smithy/courtyard variant, and with just +2 cards it's probably worse than courtyard in the majority of games. I don't even think this is passable at 3$/4$ if you leave it at +2 cards.

pedroluchini

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 11:38:22 am »

Suggested wording for Crop Rotation: "Name a type", similar to the various effects that say "name a card".

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 11:41:46 am »

Further simplification for Crop Rotation could remove the setting aside part. Draw to 5, name a card type, reveal hand, +1 Card per card of that type.

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 12:17:49 pm »
+1

Honestly, I thought that getting cards on the Loyalty Mat with Quest would be as powerful as another drawn card, if not more so. If you think that Quest wouldn't be overpowered with +3 cards rather than 2, I will eagerly make the change! More draw is always a plus in my book.

I think I'll playtest these 5 more with a few tweaks. One way to adjust the Loyalty Mat might be to make the very start of your turn the only time you can take cards off of the mat. TheOthin, I hadn't even considered wording Crop Rotation in that fashion. Honestly, I don't actually know if it would be the same effect. Stacking Crop Rotation with pedroluchini's wording means drawing up to 5 again on a 2nd play, while your version seems to create a Madman-like effect. I agree, though, that the current wording is very poor for several of the cards.

Silverspawn, I worded Manor with on-buy rather than on-gain because of concerns that Workshop or Ironworks would gain it directly to the Loyalty Mat, which is even more powerful than gaining a card to hand. By making the Loyalty Mat only accessible at the beginning of the turn, however, I think I make that less gamebreaking. Good call.

I would like to introduce the next batch of 5 to pour over, but it seems like the cards I already have posted still need work. What do you think? I see no reason why I can't discuss other cards and rework the old ones at the same time.

I find much of this feedback constructive, but also much more damning than I expected. Be honest, is this expansion attempt salvageable?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 12:21:21 pm by JacquesTheBard »

Aidan Millow

• Bishop
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 01:28:28 pm »
+4

The expansion is absolutely salvageable, you've gotten criticisms for every card but that happens (people post negative feedback more than positive because it feels more useful), all of these (except possibly assassin) can be fine with adjustments. Keep posting more cards and working on the old ones and you will end up with a good set of cards. Some of your concepts will end up being dropped but that's part of design.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 02:07:51 pm »
+2

The Loyalty mat reminds me of some of my old card ideas which I've posted before.  I'll see if I can dig them up later.

@silverspawn, Quest is too strong for $3. It's like Masquerade except you can use it as an any-time Haven!

Will comment more in depth when I'm not on mobile...

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2014, 03:04:30 pm »
+1

@silverspawn, Quest is too strong for $3. It's like Masquerade except you can use it as an any-time Haven!
I totally missed the pseudo trashing aspect. You're right of course. I take back what I said about Quest (that doesn't affect the other cards though).

So, if you target good cards, it's still a fancy couryard, but if you target bad cards, you have the trashing effect plus basically 1 coin token for trashing copper (because you can take it back into your hand at the end of the game). And you keep the VP on green cards, and you even get a bunch of edge case advatages (like, you can take back green cards later to boost a hand with cellar, the exiled cards count for gardens, etc). Not so great on curses though. Still, I'm for it costing 5$ now.

silverspawn, I worded Manor with on-buy rather than on-gain because of concerns that Workshop or Ironworks
I figured. But that seems like the smaller problem.

A theoretical wording that does exactly what you want is
---
When you buy this, put it on your loyalty mat after gaining it.
though that does sound somewhat awkward

I would like to introduce the next batch of 5 to pour over, but it seems like the cards I already have posted still need work. What do you think? I see no reason why I can't discuss other cards and rework the old ones at the same time.
I would have posted all of them right away

I find much of this feedback constructive, but also much more damning than I expected. Be honest, is this expansion attempt salvageable?
Any expansion is salvagable, unless it's built on a broken concept, since you can replace cards infinitely. I don't think the loyalty mat is a broken concept.

As for the current cards, I'm at promising on Quest, at might be something there on Minor and Ore, and at can't be worked out on Assasin and Crop Rotation.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 03:11:30 pm by silverspawn »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2014, 05:15:59 pm »

Right then.  The Loyalty mat concept reminds me of the first fan card I ever posted to f.ds:

Ivory Tower -- Action - Reaction
Cost: $5

+1 Action.

Choose one: +1 Card, reveal one Action or Treasure card from your hand and set it aside face down on your Ivory Tower mat; or put up to two cards from your mat into your hand.  You may look at the cards on your mat at any time; return them to your deck at the end of the game. 

Details:
- A variation on Native Village that makes it less luck-based.
- Restricting the action to Action and Treasure cards prevents players from using Ivory Tower as an unlimited Island for Victory and Curse cards.
- The reaction, on the other hand, can potentially help keep Curses out of your deck.  It also provides another way to add useful cards to the mat.

This was too wordy and overly complicated.  I actually submitted an updated version to LFN's mini-set design for Alchemy (which didn't officially conclude... :().  Anyway, here's how it appears in my notes from when I was jotting down ideas for the contests (sadly, I have been very bad at keeping notes on my card concepts in general, though I don't post that many to the forums anyway).

Ivory Tower
$3P - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Choose one: Set aside a card from your hand face down on your Ivory Tower mat; or put up to 3 cards from your mat into your hand.  You may look at the cards on your mat at any time; trash them at the end of the game.

Clarification: On-trash effects are triggered. They are resolved in player order starting from the player on whose turn the game ended.

This is the card you want if you want to put combo pieces together.  It's a Native Village with much more control.  Since cards are NOT returned at the end of the game, it makes for an interesting pseudo-trasher.  Stashing extra Estates in the IT gives you a chance to pull them back into your deck near the end of the game.  You could also put Provinces on the mat, but it's risky if the game ends before you can retrieve them.  You definitely want a lot of them to give you as much control as possible.

There are some significant differences between Ivory Tower and the Loyalty mat.  The biggest one is that Ivory Tower is restricted.  To get cards out of it, you need to play this card and choose not to use it to put a card on the mat.  You can't just take cards off the mat for free at any time.  Moreover, choosing to take cards still restricts it to 3 cards at a time.  You can still use it to put together a mega-combo, but it's not as trivial to do so.  Finally, a Potion cost means there's more opportunity cost to get multiple copies of it.

I'm afraid that, as is, the Loyalty mat does seem to be too brokenly strong with a card like Quest.  Quest is a trasher (put Curses on mat, never take them back), pseudo-Island (put Provinces on mat, take them back near the end game -- since you can take cards back any time, this is not nearly as dangerous as it sounds), super-Haven (put unneeded cards on mat, take them back exactly when needed) and even as a pseudo-coin token card (put Coppers or other Treasures on deck, take them back when needed).  It's bonkers.

I think the way to salvage it is to add some restrictions.  Some ideas:

- You may only take cards from the mat for free once per turn.  You could take more by playing a card that specifically allows you to grab cards from the mat.
- You have to discard a card of the same type to get one from the mat.  This makes it tougher to line up mega-turn combos and also riskier to stash lots of VP on the mat.
- Restrict the mat so that it can only hold a maximum of X cards.
- When you take cards from the mat, they go on top of your deck instead of into your hand.  This still lets you set stuff up, but it's not as easy.

On to the specific cards...

+1 Card
+2 Actions

This one looks good.  It works well on its own, and since the LM placement is only a one-time thing, it isn't broken.  As silverspawn says, it should probably be on-gain.  I don't think it's a problem that it works well with Workshop and Ironworks.  Those cards aren't really OP anyway.

+1$, +1 Buy.

Just doesn't seem that interesting to me.  It's nearly eclipsed by Bridge for functionality, since Bridge does everything Ore does and more.  Even 2 Ore is not enough to buy a Gold on their own.  If you are intent on keeping some version of this, I would try it with a $2 reduction to match Quarry.

Unlike the others, I understand what you meant here immediately.  But they are correct that there is ambiguity; I just subconsciously made the correct assumptions.

I think my main concern here is that it could be dominating with Big Money.  My intuition suggests that this could pretty easily and consistently grant +4 cards, sometimes even +5 cards.  At the same time, I'd expect it to be really weak in an engine unless the engine has no Treasure at all, but even then it would fall off when you started to green.

That said, it's a neat idea and worth testing.  It might not be as crazy with BM as I'm expecting, nor as weak with other action cards.

+$2.

Others have mentioned the AP problems.  I'd also like to add in that this card is just really slow to resolve even after you make the decisions.  It requires you to shuffle the decks of every other player!  You could have the other players shuffle their own decks on your behalf, but this can still cause game delay depending on whether you wait for them to finish before you continue play (which is technically required since it's part of resolving Assassin) and depending on how fast you play out the rest of your turn (if you are very quick, the next player will still have to finish shuffling before starting their turn).

It also anti-stacks.  Suppose I play Assassin and discard their two best cards.  Now suppose I play a second Assassin.  If I am playing optimally, I have to choose the same two cards as before.  If I choose something else, those cards I'd discarded first will then get shuffled back into their deck.  And then you'd have to shuffle everything all over again.  In practice, you'd just probably skip the attack part of Assassin plays after the first one.

+2 Cards

Most commentary on this is covered by my comments above on the Loyalty Mat in general.  You might as well make the set-aside optional, since you could take the card back from the mat for free anyway.  But if you decide to limit access to the Mat in some way, as I've suggested above, then this is a lever you could use to adjust the card's power.

But yeah, my main comment is that you should add some restrictions to the Loyalty Mat.  Freely stashing and taking cards from it is just ridiculously useful.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2014, 05:52:09 pm »
+1

I think curses always count -VP for your deck, even if you exile them.

For now, I suspect that allowing an Island-Style effect will lead to an excessive number of simple golden decks in the set. My solution: cards on the Loyalty Mat make no contribution to overall score.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 06:12:37 pm »
+1

okay, didn't see that.

that's a rule I would change though. it's a) inconsistent with official cards if they aren't part of your deck, and b) it doesn't really stop you from playing a golden deck.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2014, 06:32:30 pm »

okay, didn't see that.

that's a rule I would change though. it's a) inconsistent with official cards if they aren't part of your deck, and b) it doesn't really stop you from playing a golden deck.

I'm OK with changing it.  It's a new mechanic anyway (special mat with that you can interact with even without specific cards) so it's no big deal to add in a new clause that says the cards on the mat don't count at the end of the game.  But I agree that it doesn't prevent a golden deck strategy as is.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2014, 11:05:51 pm »

+1$, +1 Buy.

+$2.

All three of these cards do not use your Loyalty Mat concept or have really any sort of mechanism that ties them together. If you want to make a fan expansion, try to tie every card to one or two mechanical concepts: it will help the cards meld together into a cohesive and memorable set.

+2 Cards
I like the Loyalty Mat concept, however I find cards like Quest to be boring because they are so unbounded. By making it easy to put cards onto Loyalty Mats, the mechanism will just become pseudo-trashing in one way and pseudo-coin-tokens in another (when players put Coppers onto their mats).

For now, I suspect that allowing an Island-Style effect will lead to an excessive number of simple golden decks in the set. My solution: cards on the Loyalty Mat make no contribution to overall score.
Making cards on the Loyalty Mat not counted in final scoring won't make a difference. Players can pull all the cards from their Loyalty Mat into their hand at once, so players will pull all their set aside junk as soon as the game threatens an ending.

I recommend putting limiters onto everything that puts other cards onto Loyalty Mats so that players cannot make simple golden decks. Force players to be creative with how they use their Loyalty Mats.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2014, 11:11:14 pm »
+7

All three of these cards do not use your Loyalty Mat concept or have really any sort of mechanism that ties them together. If you want to make a fan expansion, try to tie every card to one or two mechanical concepts: it will help the cards meld together into a cohesive and memorable set.

I'll have to firmly disagree, making cards fit the theme of your set is nowhere near as important as making good cards. In official expansions, there are usually between a half and two third cards that don't relate to the set theme in any way.

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2014, 11:24:43 pm »

I'm in the middle of writing up the next few cards, which should certainly start discussion even if they're flawed. The current Island aspect to the Loyalty Mat genuinely concerns me, in that it takes one of the common challenges to all dominion decks (greening) and removes it with little cost to the player. eHalcyon, I understand your suggestion about topdecking Loyalty Mat cards, but one of my main goals with the Loyalty Mat was to add reliability to your deck. Getting Manor in exactly the right hand is much more manageable when you actually draw a high-terminal hand, rather than when you simply guess that there are several terminals on top of the deck. The latter is obviously an option for good players, but if you're at the top of a shuffle, for example, that doesn't do much. I'll continue looking at this one. I promise that several of my next cards won't be on-theme!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.