Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Help me come up with the best "Pin Race" kingdom  (Read 6924 times)

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
Help me come up with the best "Pin Race" kingdom
« on: October 02, 2014, 09:03:47 pm »

Backstory: I've been itching to try out the KC-KC-Goons-Masquerade pin. Problem is, I don't have much experience with any sets except base, and if I join a game where I'm not quite used to the technique yet I'm going to get slaughtered. Repeatedly. So as soon as I save up enough to buy the all sets pack on Goko, I'm planning on putting together a board and hosting unrated games to try to get used to it.

Challenge: Come up with a kingdom that would be ideal for racing to get the pin cards. (Also say why you chose those particular cards but that should be a given.)
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Help me come up with the best "Pin Race" kingdom
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 09:07:38 pm »

There was a challenge a while back to make the strongest deck possible in the simulator (using 5 kingdom cards) and the winner had masquerade, goons, king's court, governor, and maybe quarry. That would be a good starting point for you.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 09:23:52 pm »

You need a Quarry for sure, the other cards aren't very important.

It's worth noting, though, that since you need 3 specific cards in the kingdom, it might never come up in a full random game (I haven't played it even once in over 5000 games on Goko and Isotropic), so you don't necessarily need to practice it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 09:26:16 pm »

It's worth noting, though, that since you need 3 specific cards in the kingdom, it might never come up in a full random game (I haven't played it even once in over 5000 games on Goko and Isotropic), so you don't necessarily need to practice it.

To be fair, it's not 3 specific cards.  It's 2 specific cards and 1 of a set of cards (discard attack).

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 09:27:26 pm »

It's not even practice, it's more just experimenting and a fun on-the-side (unrated) challenge for people who want a break from the standard "playing with a randomized kingdom to go up in rating".
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 01:21:58 am »
+3

If you want to practice, you should play games with KC+Goons+Masquerade+7 other cards and try to set up the pin the fastest each time.  It would be the most useful for real play.  That's what I did.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 07:08:43 pm »

To be fair, it's not 3 specific cards.  It's 2 specific cards and 1 of a set of cards (discard attack).

There's also some variations with Throne Room instead of King's Court. They only trash two cards a turn, so the other player gets one card hands, but they're there.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 07:51:12 pm »
+1

TR-TR-Minion-Masq-Outpost is my favorite  :P
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 08:20:53 pm »

TR-TR-Minion-Masq-Outpost is my favorite  :P

You need to play Outpost before Masq, otherwise you pass Outpost. TR-Minion, then Outpost, then TR-Masq.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 08:28:22 pm »

That risks drawing TR-TR-masq on the outpost turn, with minion in the deck. minion, TR-TR-Outpost-masq works, because a TR stays on the outpost.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 08:30:16 pm »

No, what you have to do is Minion, then Throne Room-Throne Room-Outpost-Masquerade.

Edit: Argh ninja'd
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 09:35:43 pm by heron »

GeoLib

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 09:46:33 pm »

Yeah, that wasn't supposed to be in order. The order was left as an exercise for the reader
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 11:16:47 am »

Yeah, that wasn't supposed to be in order. The order was left as an exercise for the reader

And exercise they did!

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 09:25:50 pm »

A few fun shots:
Tr/Urchin/Outpost/Masq - nobody sees it coming and they are too busying trying to make Merc work. Everything costs under $5.

Kc/Outpost/Masq - no engine potential (so people have a hard time shoehorning in a reliable Masq later) and gets done a lot quicker as you burn 5 cards a turn. For fun you can go Kc/Kc/Outpost/Masq/Discard (e.g. Militia) and win out in 3'er.

Cutpurse/Masq/Two villages/gainer. This is a highly amusing pin - you can not all deplete your opponent's deck, but also take it over. Play Masq (pass a copper, gain a card) -> Cutpurse (Opponent discards a copper) -> Masq (pass a copper, gain a card) -> Cutpurse. You need to play 10 terminals a hand to pin, but you can greatly accelerate your deck by swiping your opponent's villages/draw/etc. I'm a fan of Cp/Masq/Iw/Village/Farming Village. Tricky to setup, but I have never lost a game where I've tried this after getting even the most basic rhythm going (and I played variations every time for a while back on Isotropic).

Like above but even more screwball: B-crat/Masq/Two Villages/Gainer. Pass them estates, top deck them, and trash a silver. You can steal everything but green, and you empty the silver pile ... but they give you every useful thing in their deck.

For a speed run, I think your magic cards are Baker (in Bm deck if need be), Squire, Upgrade, and Scheme.
Open Masq/Upgrade with shelters. Buy Sqr, trash them (into Sch with Upgrade if you can) to get Goons. Upgrade Goons -> Kc.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 04:59:46 pm »

That's right, everybody. Let's just throw morals out the window and play dirty. I need a shower, reading all these nasty pins is making me feel unclean.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

GeoLib

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 07:15:59 pm »
+3

That's right, everybody. Let's just throw morals out the window and play dirty. I need a shower, reading all these nasty pins is making me feel unclean.

Oh dear, let's go back to the "is there a right way to win?" debate. Pinning your opponent because it's the best strategy is not immoral
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 21 queries.