Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Evaluate your best and your worst board  (Read 29576 times)

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
Re: Evaluate your best and your worst board
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2013, 01:56:51 pm »

Most of my Best cards are ones I don't buy nearly as often as others, especially Alchemist. The notable exception is IGG, which I love buying almost all the time and do win a lot with them. Of my worst cards, lots of villages and cantrips! The only one I can really say I'm poor at playing is Peddler, and possibly Hunting Party. Especially when I was a newbie I had no idea how to play them.

Best cards (in order, best one first):

Loan
Horse Traders
Horn of Plenty
Witch
Herbalist
Ill-Gotten Gains
Black Market
Alchemist
Develop
Nomad Camp

Strategy: IGG rush. Unlike some great players, I don't like the idea of getting a Witch as well. I would open IGG/Herbalist on 5/2, but 4/3 is interesting. I want a Silver, but would my other buy be HT, Develop, or NC? I'd open Develop, so I can Develop IGG into Gold and Horse Traders. My opponent would try an Alchemist stack and lose. :P

Worst cards (in order, worst one first):

Great Hall
Shanty Town
Village
Philosopher's Stone
Fishing Village
Mine
Cartographer
Inn
Hunting Party
Peddler

Strategy: This feels like a very weak board to me, and I can't see any good strategy here. Maybe that's why they're my worst cards haha. I think I'd try BM-Mine with HP support... getting one early Mine and Gold>HP>Silver from there. My opponent would somehow find a way to gain Peddlers effectively without +buy and destroy me. :P
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

Jerk of All trades

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2013, 02:10:45 pm »

Most of my Best cards are ones I don't buy nearly as often as others, especially Alchemist. The notable exception is IGG, which I love buying almost all the time and do win a lot with them. Of my worst cards, lots of villages and cantrips! The only one I can really say I'm poor at playing is Peddler, and possibly Hunting Party. Especially when I was a newbie I had no idea how to play them.

Best cards (in order, best one first):

Loan
Horse Traders
Horn of Plenty
Witch
Herbalist
Ill-Gotten Gains
Black Market
Alchemist
Develop
Nomad Camp

Strategy: IGG rush. Unlike some great players, I don't like the idea of getting a Witch as well. I would open IGG/Herbalist on 5/2, but 4/3 is interesting. I want a Silver, but would my other buy be HT, Develop, or NC? I'd open Develop, so I can Develop IGG into Gold and Horse Traders. My opponent would try an Alchemist stack and lose. :P

Worst cards (in order, worst one first):

Great Hall
Shanty Town
Village
Philosopher's Stone
Fishing Village
Mine
Cartographer
Inn
Hunting Party
Peddler

Strategy: This feels like a very weak board to me, and I can't see any good strategy here. Maybe that's why they're my worst cards haha. I think I'd try BM-Mine with HP support... getting one early Mine and Gold>HP>Silver from there. My opponent would somehow find a way to gain Peddlers effectively without +buy and destroy me. :P

I don't think any decent player would try alchemist with that first board. HT + IGG into duchies is unbeatable.  I'd got HT silver, and then HT on any 4s, silver on any 3s, and IGG to duchies on any 5+.  Develop is a possibility, but I'd probably skip it.

Your worst board is a boring game. silver/silver 1 gold, 3 hunting parties, then province > 1 mine> hunting party> great hall to finish.  It's usually a mistake going "BM" (buying gold instead of another hunting party) in hunting party games. 1 gold is almost always enough. In this game you could even skip mine and get a cartog instead. for guaranteeing your first draw with HP is a treasure.

thirtyseven

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2013, 03:35:52 pm »

I don't think any decent player would try alchemist with that first board. HT + IGG into duchies is unbeatable.  I'd got HT silver, and then HT on any 4s, silver on any 3s, and IGG to duchies on any 5+.  Develop is a possibility, but I'd probably skip it.

Your worst board is a boring game. silver/silver 1 gold, 3 hunting parties, then province > 1 mine> hunting party> great hall to finish.  It's usually a mistake going "BM" (buying gold instead of another hunting party) in hunting party games. 1 gold is almost always enough. In this game you could even skip mine and get a cartog instead. for guaranteeing your first draw with HP is a treasure.

I was completely joking about the alchemist play. The point I was trying to make is that opponents buy Alchemists far more often than I do. For the other game, I like the Cartographer idea; I usually overlook that card which may be why it's one of my worst cards.

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2013, 03:39:36 pm »
+1

I've played too many games to get a result.  I haz a sad.   :'(

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2013, 04:38:14 pm »

After a year...

Best board :

Embargo, Lighthouse
Workshop
Baron, Militia
Counting house, Jester, Hunting party, Venture, Inn

(I am surprised to see venture here, and I don't really like militia, otherwise no big surprises but I'm glad to know I make good uses of counting house)

Interesting board ! Although embargo can be a very powerful counter, I think I would try HP-Baron, then switch to other things if hunting party is embargoed (probably something with Inn and maybe Jester).

Worst board

Fool's gold, Duchess
Fishing village
Envoy, Monument
Upgrade, Minion, Council room
Adventurer, Nobles

(I like to use adventurer even if there is no particular reason to go for it. I often boycott minion because it's not really fun. I might overrate fishing village and monument... and I never play upgrade well, don't know why. Otherwise I don't know why these cards are here)
I simply think Upgrade + minion is the best thing to do. Minion by itself is already a strong counter to FG.

thirtyseven

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2013, 04:53:15 pm »

I simply think Upgrade + minion is the best thing to do. Minion by itself is already a strong counter to FG.

You'll need to be more elaborate with your strategy, since Upgrade and Minion are at the same price point. ;)

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2013, 05:36:46 pm »

Best:
$2 Chapel, Pawn, Secret Chamber
$3 Ambassador, Village
$4 Remodel, Remake, Envoy
$5 Minion
$6P Possession

Strategy:  2/5 Open Minion / Chapel.  3/4 Probably Chapel / Silver.  If my opponent goes for Ambassador I'll look to go into Possession.  Otherwise, try and build a Minion engine I think.

Worst:
$2 Crossroads
$3 Black Market, Steward
$4 Scout
$5 Governor, Upgrade, Saboteur, City, Haggler, Laboratory

Strategy: 2/5 Open Governor / Crossroads.  3/4 Probably Steward / Steward (depending on what's in the black market).  I'll probably try and build a basic Governor deck.
A man on a mission.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2013, 05:43:03 pm »

Let's see...

Best:
$6: Goons
$5: Ill-Gotten Gains, Mandarin, Treasury
$4: Young Witch, Ironworks
$3: Village, Workshop
$2 : Cellar, Duchess (Bane)
$0P: Transmute

That's not quite what I expected.
...goes to look up what transmute does...
Huh.
Okay, I think I'd open YW/Duchess into a straight IGG/Duchy rush. Yeah I'm boring, and I also think cursers aren't as effective against IGG as everyone else seems to think.
But if you ever get into an IGG rush with me, have fear of my 1.53 win rate with and 1.43 given available. I'm not sure how one manages to get that far above the norm for IGG rushes, but I've done it.

Anyway, onto my worst.
$7: Forge
$6: Fairgrounds
$5: Laboratory, Margrave, Torturer, Witch
$4: Smithy, Spy
$3: Oracle

It appears as though I suck at terminal draw. I'll have to work on that.
Upon seeing this board, I'd start seething in hatred of margrave (Like, I told Qvist mentioned in my comments of the survey that I wanted to give that card a -3 for my favorites rating. I wonder if he saw that).
After getting over that, I'd probably open silver/silver and play big money with 2 witches.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2013, 05:56:20 pm »

Best Ten:
$8*: Peddler
$5: Duke, Ghost Ship, Governor, Jester, Treasury
$4: Militia, Mining Village, Young Witch
$2: Crossroads (Bane), Embargo

Crossroads is my 12th best card, so I put it as the bane. This kingdom is tricky.  I guess ideally I would like to open 5/2 with Governor/Embargo, embargoing either Duke or GS. Opening 3/4 I would do Crossroads/YW. I would like to get one Militia, one or two YW, a couple of Mining Villages, and a chain of Governors/Crossroads going (using the +3 cards more often than normal because of increased chances to draw a Militia, and even taking the time to remodel Coppers/curses into Crossroads and maybe an Embargo in addition to the standard gain Gold, remodel into Provinces). I would also consider picking up a Jester at some point.

Worst Ten:
$7: King's Court
$5: Cache, Horn of Plenty, Ill-Gotten Gains, Saboteur, Upgrade, Witch
$4: Feast, Thief, Worker's Village

No surprise on the cards here. I dislike many of these cards (and am just plain bad as using HoP even though I like it). I guess early game I would attempt to get two Witches. Then try to get Upgrade, KC, Gold, Worker's Village, and HoP to gain these cards, as well. Mid/late game I would probably try to get a Thief and Sabateur with KC-KC-Witch-Thief-Saboteur in mind in an attempt to destroy my opponent's (better: opponents') deck(s). If it turns into a slog instead (my deck gets destroyed first), then oh, well. I would just be careful about 3 piling and try to get the most points, wishing I was playing a different kingdom.

I think these are both interesting kingdoms.

Wingnut

• Golem
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2013, 06:07:22 pm »

Interesting seeing this after a year, especially considering the still relative newness of Hinterlands before (at the very least the early Hinterlands discovery process was a big factor last time around).

Here's mine

$7: Forge
$5: Highway, Minion, Witch
$4P: Golem
$4: Talisman, Envoy
$3P: Familiar
$3: Fishing Village
$2: Duchess

Evidently being good isn't all that fun. This looks about as fun as a root canal to play. 5-2 is an easy Witch/nothing open. 4-3 is a lot more interesting. I think the options are Envoy/FV, Potion/FV, Silver/FV or Silver/Silver. Envoy/FV looks like something that would be more fun to try rather than actually being effective here and a FV open can probably get the Potion later if Golem is a real target (with no +buy it probably isn't barring Highway/Forge shenanigans).

Worst Kingdom

$6: Fairgrounds
$5: Hunting Party, Mine, Mint, Cartographer, Jester, Tribute, Counting House
$3P: Philosopher's Stone
$2: Herbalist

And this is even worse to play. It's either Hunting Party Stack or Herbalist-PS. Not much else of value of here I don't think though Cartographer could be of some use.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12863
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2013, 06:23:06 pm »

Worst:
$6: Goons, Nobles
$5: Embassy, Hunting Party
$4: Tournament, Monument, Smithy
$3: Menagerie
$2: Fool's Gold

King's Court being there surprises me a bit, but other than that, I'm not surprised. I would go for Fool's Gold and then Tournament here, possibly with some HPs, but I'm not confident in this strategy at all. I'd open FG/FG with both possible opening splits.

Best:
$7: Expand
$5: Ghost Ship
$4: Bridge, Baron
$3P: Familiar
$3: Black Market, Masquerade
$2: Pearl Driver, Herbalist
$0P: Transmute

Potion/Masquerade is probably the strongest opening here. With 5/2, I'd go for Potion/Herbalist. In case I fail to have $3P after the reshuffle, I'd buy a Pearl Driver or Herbalist (Pearl Driver if I already have Herbalist, otherwise Herbalist) with $2P and Transmute with $1P. Ambassador and strong village cards would make me buy the Black Market, but I wouldn't open with it in any case.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2013, 06:46:33 pm »

So I actually haven't played that many games on Isotropic, making for a relatively small sample sizes, but I still feel like
my list does a good job of reflecting what kind of Dominion player I am.

My best board:

$5:  Jester, Apprentice, Explorer, Mint, Embassy
$4:  Trader, Nomad Camp
$3:  Great Hall, Lookout
$2P: University

So I noticed that a lot of these cards can prove to be liabilities when gained. I have a lot of fun with these cards though, so I'm eager to get them if doing so is justified. There's a sense of satisfaction knowing that the card I have the highest effect with is Explorer.

As for this board, I'd try my hand at opening with Potion/Lookout, getting 2 or 3 Universities. I'd use the University to get a Jester, an Embassy, an Apprentice, and an Explorer, probably in that order. Any Excess terminals or Apprentices received from Jesters or Universities can just be used as fodder for the trashing-like-crazy Apprentices. Embassy, Apprentice, and lookout combined provide really good deck cycling while Jester and Explorer hopefully get my deckup to speed with their card gaining. I'd get a Province at the first opportunity for Explorer's sake since I have powerful draw capabilities. With the ability to gain and immediately top-deck Nomad Camp with University, I have easy access to +buy at the moment where my deck is strong enough to make good use of it. And who knows, Great Hall might even come into the picture at the end. Now does it beat BM+X?

Edit: with 5/2 opening I'd get the Jester and try to get Lookout and Potion on my second shuffle. Beyond that, a lot of my decisions will depend on what happens with the Jester.

My worst board:

$8*: Peddler
$6P: Possession
$5:  Wharf
$4:  Treasure Map, Noble Brigand
$3:  Tunnel
$2P: Scrying Pool
$2:  Haven, Lighthouse, Duchess

Most of these cards give me a headache, especially Haven and Scrying Pool when my opponent gets like 8 of them. These cards are ones where I often try to prove something by beating a deck with them without getting said card myself. That hasn't worked so well for these cards.

Given the opportunity to man up and play these cards well, I'd open Haven/Treasure Map. I'll get a couple of Wharfs use them to pick up some $2 cards and peddlers. I'd get a potion at some point too so that I can get Scrying Pool and possibly Possession. If I'm lucky, I can use Haven to time Possession so it's played when Lighthouse defense is not in effect. It's too bad the only card that can discard Tunnel is Noble Brigand and this would be a pretty good board for a Scrying Pool engine if a trasher was present.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 11:08:48 pm by markusin »

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2013, 11:36:14 pm »

If I'm lucky, I can use Haven to time Possession so it's played when Lighthouse defense is not in effect. It's too bad the only card that can discard Tunnel is Noble Brigand and this would be a pretty good board for a Scrying Pool engine if a trasher was present.

Possession isn't an attack.

Scrying Pool can also discard Tunnel. (Not a good strategy, though.)

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2013, 11:41:38 pm »

Worst:
$6: Goons, Nobles
$5: Embassy, Hunting Party
$4: Tournament, Monument, Smithy
$3: Menagerie
$2: Fool's Gold

King's Court being there surprises me a bit, but other than that, I'm not surprised. I would go for Fool's Gold and then Tournament here, possibly with some HPs, but I'm not confident in this strategy at all. I'd open FG/FG with both possible opening splits.

I'd definitely go Tournament-Silver on 4/3.  Hopefully get an HP and a Monument T3/4.  Then race to get one early goon's, then as many KC and HP as possible.
A man on a mission.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2013, 12:11:10 am »

If I'm lucky, I can use Haven to time Possession so it's played when Lighthouse defense is not in effect. It's too bad the only card that can discard Tunnel is Noble Brigand and this would be a pretty good board for a Scrying Pool engine if a trasher was present.

Possession isn't an attack.

Scrying Pool can also discard Tunnel. (Not a good strategy, though.)

Shows how much I know about Possession. It's crazy enough that you can even use KC on it. Not that Possession is truly a great card otherwise. It's just so costly to get.

You're also right about Scrying Pool, but it could only discard a Tunnel if Tunnel is on top. I would think multiple Tunnels in the deck would just mess up scrying pool too much overall.

Now that I'm playing on goko, I'm starting to get a better feel for how to use the cards on my worst list. Actually, I'm curious to know if Goko ever plans on implementing a statistics record similar to Council Room in the future.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2855
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2013, 12:41:25 am »

Best Board:
$7 King's Court
$5 Haggler, Cache, Library, Treasury
$4 Bureaucrat, Mining Village
$3 Wishing Well
$2P Apothecary
$2 Haven

Huh. Wasn't expecting that. I've never tried Apothecary/Cache before, so I'd probably try that. Maybe pick up a KC along the way for KC-Apothecary, and a Haggler or two to give pseudo +Buy.

Worst Board:
$5 Embassy, Cartographer
$4 Silk Road, Spice Merchant, Noble Brigand
$3 Fortune Teller, Develop, Scheme, Oracle
$2 Cellar

Yeah I really don't know how to use Cartographer, and I keep trying to not play Embassy-BM when I really should. I've experimented with Noble Brigand recently, and it's not bad, but I'm probably playing it a bit wrong. Eh, I'd still do Embassy-BM, hope that it gets more money than Brigand steals.

Here's my old post from over a year ago. According to councilroom, I was level 25 when I made that post, and now I'm 33.

On the first board, there isn't an especially strong BM strategy. Maybe Haggler/Library BM, but that doesn't sound too amazing. The lack of +Buy hurts an engine option, but Haggler helps with that. Apothecary/WW/Cache with Haggler support sounds interesting. King's Court sounds like a trap here, you only need $8. Still, not a bad pickup with Haggler. I'd probably go for the Apothecary engine, and lose to Library+Haggler BM.

On the second, Embassy-BM still sounds pretty good. I've come around to Noble Brigand being really good in money-based games, so I'd try to pick up a couple. Then, depending on how the game goes, a straightforward Province strategy or Silk Road slog both sound viable. A pure Silk Road strategy probably can't compete with Embassy's filtering power (especially with Cartographer and Cellar as fallback filters), but a Province + Silk Road hybrid plan sounds quite nice.

If I have time, maybe I'll look up my new top 10 and bottom 10.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2013, 02:11:15 am »

Mine are skewed from not playing with all the expansions, only playing with a few a few times, etc.  (I had three cards with a 2.00 rating!)
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2013, 02:47:44 am »

Best Board

Stash, Market, Navigator, Apprentice, Chapel, Adventurer, Bridge, Merchant Ship, Harem, Venture

Interesting board in that it contains a lot of engine enablers, but no villages to actually build an engine with.  Looks like a straight up Merchant Ship/BM to me with Markets for support.

I'm quite interested in the makeup of my best board.  It contains three cards that I very rarely buy (Stash, Navigator, Adventurer) and three more that I do buy fairly frequently, but it always seems far less than my opponents (Venture, Harem, Bridge).  It seems my strength in Dominion is more knowing about what cards to leave alone than what deck to actually build.

Worst Board

Pawn, Kings Court, Contraband, Crossroads, Fishing Village, Watchtower, Baron, Walled Village, Trade Route, Farming Village

Wow, here's a strange mix.  There are cards that I know I suck with and my opponents always seem to do better with than me (Watchtower, Baron).  There are three Villages, then there are cards that I actually thought I was fairly good with but it seems maybe I'm not (Crossroads, Contraband, Pawn, Trade Route).  The odd card that stands out is Kings Court.  I always perceive that I am quite unlucky with Kings Court.  I remember a lot of times getting to the pivotal turn of an engine mirror and drawing a hand like KC, KC, Silver, Chapel, Province.  Obviously luck evens out in the long term, but maybe I have just been running very bad with KC and that is reflected in my stats.  Or maybe I genuinely suck with it.

On this board I would build a Fishing Village/Watchtower engine, with some KC and Pawn thrown in for late-game fun.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2013, 03:05:46 am »
+1

okay, I'm certainly not the best player, but I'll try this out anyway.

Worst Board
Horn of Plenty, Secret Chamber, Thief, Noble Brigand, Mine, Develop, Pearl Diver, Apothecary, Ghost Ship, Loan

Ghost Ship BM with Loan to help?

Best Board
Margrave, Envoy, Farmland, Ill-Gotten Gains, Hoard, Mountebank, Watchtower, Market, Contraband, Harem

Watchtower, Maybe Mountebank, Margrave over Envoy for the +buy and Hoard for cash with Harems? Farmland might be nice too.

P.S. I just found out that I have never bought a Scout :)
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 20 queries.