Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Author Topic: Temporum  (Read 52319 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25715
    • View Profile
Re: Temporum
« Reply #150 on: December 07, 2015, 07:20:33 pm »
+5

I'm concerned that if someone didn't really like Temporum, they aren't going to bother playing again with the expansion. Also, the majority of the time that I've introduced people to Temporum, it has been with the expansion. Or at least, with the player cards from the expansion, not with the new zones usually. And even then, it's been very hit or miss.

I think I've said this before, but the biggest complaint I get is that it feels like there aren't meaningful choices. And the reason it feels like this is that the best choices are only slightly better than the worst ones. People are used to games where a good/experienced player will absolutely crush a bad/new player, not one where he will only just barely win.
Well, you could try using the new zones too! Some of the new zones push planning ahead in particular. And some of the new things have very visible payoffs.

I do not think that an expansion sucks in people who did not like the original. It has a chance to reach more people due to new people seeing the game when someone pulls it out to try the expansion. And it has a better chance of impressing those new people if the expansion makes it a better game for them. But if they already tried it and didn't like it, sure why would they try it again.

When I was playtesting the game, people liked that it was close. I don't have any market research to really know what the world thinks. Obv. it would be trivial to double all bonuses and widen that gap.

As I've probably said in this thread even, I think the big mistake I made in the original is the choose-one zones. Some players park there and then think there was nothing to do, since they didn't do anything. And they didn't change history so they think changing history doesn't matter either. No-one thinks these things when playing with me, because they expect to lose and then lose; clearly there was something about what I was doing that was better. But the box never includes an experienced player.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 08, 2015, 01:57:00 pm »
+6

Expansion is coming in Q1 2016 (or Q2 at the latest).

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/21004375#21004375

I'm really looking forward to it. I think Temporum turns off some hobby gamers because the base game is just too simple for their taste. The expansion really adds a lot of more interesting/complex stuff (obviously, since the simple stuff has already been done).

I'm concerned that if someone didn't really like Temporum, they aren't going to bother playing again with the expansion. Also, the majority of the time that I've introduced people to Temporum, it has been with the expansion. Or at least, with the player cards from the expansion, not with the new zones usually. And even then, it's been very hit or miss.

I think I've said this before, but the biggest complaint I get is that it feels like there aren't meaningful choices. And the reason it feels like this is that the best choices are only slightly better than the worst ones. People are used to games where a good/experienced player will absolutely crush a bad/new player, not one where he will only just barely win.

Wait, you already have it?  Play tester copies?

Taking the time to program an online Temporum client that has sold at least a few people on buying the game has its privileges.   ;D
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

tastor

• Scout
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 09, 2015, 12:17:56 pm »

Well, you could try using the new zones too! Some of the new zones push planning ahead in particular. And some of the new things have very visible payoffs.

I do not think that an expansion sucks in people who did not like the original. It has a chance to reach more people due to new people seeing the game when someone pulls it out to try the expansion. And it has a better chance of impressing those new people if the expansion makes it a better game for them. But if they already tried it and didn't like it, sure why would they try it again.

When I was playtesting the game, people liked that it was close. I don't have any market research to really know what the world thinks. Obv. it would be trivial to double all bonuses and widen that gap.

As I've probably said in this thread even, I think the big mistake I made in the original is the choose-one zones. Some players park there and then think there was nothing to do, since they didn't do anything. And they didn't change history so they think changing history doesn't matter either. No-one thinks these things when playing with me, because they expect to lose and then lose; clearly there was something about what I was doing that was better. But the box never includes an experienced player.

Man, I already know the answer to this but: can you give us any teasers about the expansion? Even anything like, number of new zones and/or player cards? Existence of new components? Anything?

I'm sure that you will do the previews a few weeks before the confirmed release date, but I am just starving for info. Really looking forward to it!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 09, 2015, 12:21:32 pm »

I'm sure that you will do the previews a few weeks before the confirmed release date

I guess I wouldn't expect this. I mean Kingdom Builder is Donald's second most famous game, and he doesn't do previews for its expansions. It's pretty much just a Dominion thing.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 09, 2015, 12:25:38 pm »
+1

I'm sure that you will do the previews a few weeks before the confirmed release date

I guess I wouldn't expect this. I mean Kingdom Builder is Donald's second most famous game, and he doesn't do previews for its expansions. It's pretty much just a Dominion thing.

Queen pretty much revealed everything about Marshlands in their Kickstarter before promptly cancelling it.  There aren't as many unique bits to Kingdom Builder as there are to Dominion, though - I think a Temporum preview might actually be justified, since there's a lot of different cards and zones and stuff.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

tastor

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 09, 2015, 12:29:02 pm »

True good point. I don't have a ton of experience with Kingdom Builder; it seemed like with Temporum's zone and player cards were pretty analogous to Dominion cards and would be perfect for previews, whereas Kingdom Builder seemed to be more about adding mechanics and new tiles.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 09, 2015, 12:44:21 pm »

True good point. I don't have a ton of experience with Kingdom Builder; it seemed like with Temporum's zone and player cards were pretty analogous to Dominion cards and would be perfect for previews, whereas Kingdom Builder seemed to be more about adding mechanics and new tiles.

That's a good point.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 09, 2015, 08:21:09 pm »
+5

Man, I already know the answer to this but: can you give us any teasers about the expansion? Even anything like, number of new zones and/or player cards? Existence of new components? Anything?

I'm sure that you will do the previews a few weeks before the confirmed release date, but I am just starving for info. Really looking forward to it!
It has as many zones and player cards as the main set - the decks will double in size. And there are extra components to handle extra things.

I could conceivably do a single preview showing a bunch of cards. Or do a combination preview / secret history.

tastor

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 09, 2015, 09:59:07 pm »

It has as many zones and player cards as the main set - the decks will double in size. And there are extra components to handle extra things.

I could conceivably do a single preview showing a bunch of cards. Or do a combination preview / secret history.

Very cool thanks for the info!

I think a combination preview/history could be cool (I mean, if I get a vote). I like the idea of learning more about the reasoning behind the new mechanics and cards as much as just seeing a bunch of different cards.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 10, 2015, 10:02:05 am »
+2

I haven't touched my web client in a while, but is it safe to assume that as soon as the set is released, it will be ok to have the new cards available in my app? If so, I need to get working on it right away.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 10, 2015, 07:22:00 pm »
+6

I haven't touched my web client in a while, but is it safe to assume that as soon as the set is released, it will be ok to have the new cards available in my app? If so, I need to get working on it right away.
The AI never visits time 4, right? Surely you want to add that first.

I don't know that you have to hurry, but uh I personally don't mind if you put the new cards up when the expansion comes out.

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 12, 2015, 04:30:01 pm »

Just picked this game up yesterday after playing the online implementation for two games (got wrecked both times). Was disappointed by the physical components and the complete lack of bags or other ways to sensibly store said components.

That said, looking forward to playing this game.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 12, 2015, 10:13:54 pm »
+1

Just picked this game up yesterday after playing the online implementation for two games (got wrecked both times). Was disappointed by the physical components and the complete lack of bags or other ways to sensibly store said components.

That said, looking forward to playing this game.

Note that the arrows being too small is a mistake, and if you contact Rio Grande they will send replacements... though they do ask for $4 for shipping.

But yeah, the box insert was pretty crap for a card-based game..

ben_king

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ben.king
  • formerly grsbmd
  • Respect: +612
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 06, 2016, 08:46:19 am »
+1

My wife and I had a situation arise last night that we couldn't find the answer for in the rulebook.

Suppose that Industrial Revolution is in the game and I rule that time.  Can I play a perpetual card, return it to my hand, and still have the effect for the rest of the game?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 06, 2016, 09:40:24 am »
+2

My wife and I had a situation arise last night that we couldn't find the answer for in the rulebook.

Suppose that Industrial Revolution is in the game and I rule that time.  Can I play a perpetual card, return it to my hand, and still have the effect for the rest of the game?

I'm not sure if the rulebook addresses this specifically, but perpetual cards are all "while this is in play"; so returning one to your hand is generally not good.

ben_king

• Golem
  • formerly grsbmd
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 06, 2016, 10:11:49 am »
+1

I'm not sure if the rulebook addresses this specifically, but perpetual cards are all "while this is in play"; so returning one to your hand is generally not good.

The rulebook said "When a player plays a Perpetual card, he ... puts the card in front of him on the table; it grants him an ability that lasts for the rest of the game."  So it wasn't clear, but it's good to know how that rule works.  Thanks!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 06, 2016, 11:04:16 am »

The rulebook said "When a player plays a Perpetual card, he ... puts the card in front of him on the table; it grants him an ability that lasts for the rest of the game."  So it wasn't clear, but it's good to know how that rule works.  Thanks!

Yeah I am curious about this. Likely an oversight in the rules. I had to double-check my own implementation, and indeed you do not get the effect form a perpetual card that you returned to your hand. I don't have an official rule or a Donald quote to point to on that, it just seems like it's how it pretty much has to work.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 06, 2016, 06:07:27 pm »
+4

Correct. You have the ability for the rest of the game... unless you somehow manage to get rid of that perpetual card.

ben_king

• Golem
  • formerly grsbmd
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 01, 2016, 09:55:49 am »
+3

I'm pretty excited for the expansion:

http://riograndegames.com/Game/1309-Temporum-Alternate-Realities

Everyone keeps saying it's even better than the base set.  It will probably find its way onto my Christmas list.  :)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 12, 2016, 05:37:48 pm »
+2

This is somewhat old news, but the expansion finally has a page at BGG and Rio Grande!

http://riograndegames.com/Game/1309-Temporum-Alternate-Realities

*Edit* And now I look at the post just before this one. How did I not see that last month??

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Page created in 1.998 seconds with 21 queries.