Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Strategy: Count+Native Village  (Read 4038 times)

naitchman

Strategy: Count+Native Village
« on: November 14, 2014, 02:09:35 pm »
+3

So I know that many people rip on NV but I think I've found a great use for it to make a Golden Deck. If you can get your deck down to a count, NV, Province, Gold, and festival. you have a golden deck getting 6vp a turn (use festival, then use count to put province on top of deck +3 coins, then use native village to tuck away the province, then buy a province). this deck could also work if you substituted the festival for two bazaars, or two fishing villages (played on alternate turns). If you would substitute the festival for a village and a silver it would still kinda work, getting you a province 5/6 of the time. There probably are more substitutes for festival but i only own the original, seaside, and DA so these are the ones i've found. I'm sure there are more.
Either way count makes this pretty easy to do for it's trashing abilities (and the first part of the action will let you control which cards get trashed by either discarding or putting a card on top of your deck). Native village can also be a help in getting rid of cards (though you should only do this if all the cards left in your deck are supposed to be trashed). when you only have one card left to trash using the festival and then the count (to put it on top) and then NV will take care of it.
I'd like to hear people's opinion's on this strategy

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Strategy: Count+Native Village
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 02:27:25 pm »
+5

It's a cute trick, but if Count and Villages are in the kingdom, odds are someone can make an engine that outperforms a golden deck and then you'll be in big trouble if that's all you have.  Golden decks are consistent, but tend to not score that many points; people talk about the idea a lot, but in practice they don't win a whole lot.  It's the same problem NV/Apothecary runs in to.  Sure, it's a fun deck to play, but if you have Apothecary and Native Village, you have way more options than just using those cards to get 1 Province a turn most of the time.  Count is an elite trasher, and between Festival and pretty much any draw card you should be able to beat that strategy.

Who rips on NV anyway?  It's a fine card in many situations.  You shouldn't listen to those people.  Every card has a use, and Native Village isn't even in the lower end of the spectrum.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 07:40:09 am »

Has anyone tested Count+NV+Double Tactician? I don't own the cards, but I've played it before.

You get your deck down to two Tacticians, a Terminal silver, Two counts, Three Native Villages, and something to discard for Tactician. I think this takes about 9-13 turns to do. Each turn you gain one Province and a Copper, setting both aside on your NV mat. Once the Provinces are low you can start going for double-Duchies. You can close out the game by taking your mat contents into hand (which has accumulated coppers) and going for double Province or Province double-Duchy.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 09:18:49 am »

Has anyone tested Count+NV+Double Tactician? I don't own the cards, but I've played it before.

You get your deck down to two Tacticians, a Terminal silver, Two counts, Three Native Villages, and something to discard for Tactician. I think this takes about 9-13 turns to do. Each turn you gain one Province and a Copper, setting both aside on your NV mat. Once the Provinces are low you can start going for double-Duchies. You can close out the game by taking your mat contents into hand (which has accumulated coppers) and going for double Province or Province double-Duchy.

Any given combination of three cards shows up in significantly less than 1% of games.  And with Tactician available, engine potential is even bigger... so I just don't see that being a thing.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

c4master

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 09:21:16 am »

If you're not opening 5/2 I don't believe you can do this within 9 turns. You need to buy 8 cards for this AND you need to trash down. Even with a gainer this will be tough to pull out before turn 10.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 10:34:14 am »

Yeah, I think you're right. 9 turns is not realistic.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 10:39:51 am »
+1

Remember tactician gives you an extra action, so you only need two native villages. It only takes one tactician turn to trash down with count. 9 turns is doable. You have room to keep a couple dead cards around too.

EDIT: Play a game, 9 turns is far-fetched but the strategy isn't awful:

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20150216/log.50a43f07e4b0addfc4f4304a.1424131417607.txt
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 07:07:25 pm by liopoil »

c4master

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 12:22:33 pm »

Remember tactician gives you an extra action, so you only need two native villages. It only takes one tactician turn to trash down with count. 9 turns is doable. You have room to keep a couple dead cards around too.

EDIT: Play a game, 9 turns is far-fetched but the strategy isn't awful:

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20150216/log.50a43f07e4b0addfc4f4304a.1424131417607.txt

Well, without getting attacked being able to get single province beginning around turn 11 isn't all that great. I admit, that it's a very consistent strategy, you're never going to miss your province buy.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.714 seconds with 21 queries.