Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 259  All

Author Topic: Homage to the Best Card  (Read 2288496 times)

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
Re: Homage to the Best Card
« Reply #3850 on: October 08, 2014, 01:41:53 pm »

Quidditch was important to the fifth book because Harry and the Weasleys (and Hermione, maybe, probably ?) are at the Quidditch World Cup whenthe Deatheaters make their comeback.

That's book 4.

Oh. Really ? Man, it's been way too long.

Is book 5 the one with Dumbledore's Army ? Then Quidditch is important because there's a whole thing with Ron being in Gryffindor's team right ?
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: October 08, 2014, 01:48:03 pm »

Quidditch was important to the fifth book because Harry and the Weasleys (and Hermione, maybe, probably ?) are at the Quidditch World Cup whenthe Deatheaters make their comeback.

That's book 4.

Is book 5 the one with Dumbledore's Army ? Then Quidditch is important because there's a whole thing with Ron being in Gryffindor's team right ?

Hm, I think so. In that case, I'm pretty sure quidditch was in the film. Silverspawn?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: October 08, 2014, 01:48:16 pm »

I feel like in every book it as used in some minor way to move the plot along.  Plus, Harry being an exceptional flyer was relevant at times.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: October 08, 2014, 01:51:32 pm »

On reflection, I may be remembering the quidditch plot from the sixth film.

This whole discussion should probably be moved to a new thread.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: October 08, 2014, 01:57:33 pm »

That's book 4.

Hm, I think so. In that case, I'm pretty sure quidditch was in the film. Silverspawn?

Ron is in the team in both books (5 and 6). In the fifth book, he screws up extremely hard in the first match, but harry saves him by catching the  snitch, which in this awful game means ron's performance is almost entirely irrelevant. then malfoy makes fun of ron and harry, harry gets angry and beats him, and as a punishment he's not allowed to play for the rest of the year. in the seocnd match, ron plays just as bad and they lose, and in the third he plays extremely good for some reason, and they win the whole thing.

the 6th book is the one where harry makes ron think that he drank the luck potion to make him play well.

I'm not 100% sure about the movies, but I think they skipped it in the fifth one.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3855 on: October 08, 2014, 02:17:05 pm »

So from what I can remember, Quidditch wasn't important to the plot in book 5.  It was more important for character development (Ron's, specifically).  But it would be tougher to get rid of Quidditch in book 1 (pretty foundational stuff for the young Harry, finally finding something he is good at, something which helps connect him to his father, a place where he feels like he belongs, not to mention the misdirect with Snape/Quirrel messing with Harry's flight).  Or in book 3, when dementors attacked during a game and Harry's broom was destroyed.  Or in book 4, where the World Cup was a huge thing (introducing portkeys, deatheaters, Crouch, Bagman, Krum and the whole international scene) and where Harry's flying skills were important for the first task.

Which is why I think they had to include the sport in the films.  They could downplay it, sure.  No need to have 10 minutes of game time where 5 would do.  Harry's fall from Dobby's interference in book 2 wasn't super important that I can recall, so maybe that could have been scrubbed out.  But they need to keep some Quidditch stuff in, at least on the periphery, so that they could hit those plot points when needed.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: October 08, 2014, 02:23:58 pm »
+30

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: October 08, 2014, 02:25:49 pm »
+11

Bad Luck Brian vs. Success Kid is really just an arbitrary choice there.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: October 08, 2014, 05:04:21 pm »
+4

Bad Luck Brian vs. Success Kid is really just an arbitrary choice there.

Definitely BLB. Harry Potter is decent and all, but I don't see it warranting extensive discussion personally.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Nevermind

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: October 08, 2014, 06:04:53 pm »
+3

^ Yes I do

Has anyone done this yet?

Someone explain this one?
Don't you know 'The Hunger Games"-trilogy?

Ah, thanks. Yeah, haven't read/seen them yet.

I would say read them before watching them.

This is from someone who watched only the 2nd movie and nothing else. My feeling is that it ran into the same problem a lot of adaptations have - clumsy ways to get around all the thinking the book character does, and characters acting in ways that don't make sense/are contradictory, which probably weren't that way in the book.

Actually I'll put it another way, the Harry Potter movies are pretty good if you're a fan of the books and know what's going to happen, but I'm astounded people who haven't read the books like them. The Hunger Games movies are likely to be similar.

I just recently watched all the HP movies for the first time; having never read the books. I thought they were just fine; they can't all be the best movie ever.

Yes, I like the hunting party movies too :P

i havent watched/read Harry Potter. Not too big about "magic"

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: October 08, 2014, 06:59:03 pm »

The problem with their reviews is that they refuse to see the show as an independent entity. They are looking at the show as if it was something that has for sole purpose to bring the book to life. It doesn't, it has other things on its mind : it has a different viewpoint, different things to say ?

Is it better ? Is it worse ? Who cares, they are two different things.

Seriously read this review. It's all a very convoluted way of saying "I don't get it, why don't they do it exactly like it was in the books because that's what I want."

Of course the show is far from perfect, it has huge problems (the Jaime/Cersei scene being the most obvious example). Of course they are making some good points here and there (Arya and the Hound heading back once they learn Lysa's death makes very little sense). But their overall approach to the show, which is present in these reviews and on their forums at all times, is that of the book reader who wants to be catered to.

Edit : I'll admit that, reading that review, they've gotten better. I think I remember the Blackwater review infuriating me at the time if you want to check that out.

I'm a fan of neither the books nor the show, but if the show is such a large divergence from the book as to have to be considered a separate entity, then why the hell does it need to have the same characters and be set in the same world?  Why not create something new from the start if the end result is effectively an alternate universe Westeros?

(This is my same beef with the Abrams Star Trek films.  At least there, the alternate universe is explicitly acknowledged.)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: October 08, 2014, 07:07:20 pm »
+1

I started typing a reply to that, and then I thought, do I really want to do it?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: October 08, 2014, 07:51:05 pm »
+2

It's not that it's in an alternate universe, it's that it's a different piece of entertainment/art. It's based on the same universe, and the story is the same in broad strokes, but it's purpose is not to be the books put on screen.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #3863 on: October 08, 2014, 07:59:05 pm »
+2

One of the big advantages of reading the books before seeing the movies was, when I went to see The Hunger Games in the theater and had to go to the bathroom really bad, I knew when a quiet, non-plot-critical scene was coming up so I went then and didn't miss much.

http://www.m.runpee.com/peeTime.php?return=false&key=587&title=The+Hunger+Games

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: October 08, 2014, 08:40:00 pm »

It's not that it's in an alternate universe, it's that it's a different piece of entertainment/art. It's based on the same universe, and the story is the same in broad strokes, but it's purpose is not to be the books put on screen.

But isn't that exactly the purpose?  Unless it's supposed to be a spin-off or sequel or something...

I don't know.  To me, that's like saying "the purpose of Dominion Online is not to be the game put online".

(Tried to find a meme for that statement, but none seemed appropriate.  Insanity Wolf, maybe?)

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: October 08, 2014, 08:53:29 pm »

But isn't that exactly the purpose?  Unless it's supposed to be a spin-off or sequel or something...

I don't know.  To me, that's like saying "the purpose of Dominion Online is not to be the game put online".

(Tried to find a meme for that statement, but none seemed appropriate.  Insanity Wolf, maybe?)
That's actually a great analogy. Real life dominion doesn't have point counters or veto mode, but the variant created for online play is still clearly based on it.

Edit: This is to say I agree with Teproc. And for what it's worth I love both the show and the books. If I had to choose one, I'd stick with the books though, so I guess the analogy isn't perfect because in dominion's case the variant trumps the original.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 09:08:18 pm by Eevee »

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: October 08, 2014, 09:22:40 pm »
+10

Gherald0: turn 8
Gherald0   plays Mining Village
Gherald0   draws Copper
Gherald0   plays Courtyard
Gherald0   draws Copper, Copper, Treasure Map
Gherald0   places Estate on top of deck
Gherald0   plays Treasure Map
Gherald0   trashes Treasure Map, Treasure Map
Gherald0   gains Gold
Gherald0   gains Gold
Gherald0   gains Gold
Gherald0   gains Gold
Gherald0   plays 4 Copper
Gherald0   buys Nomad Camp
Gherald0   gains Nomad Camp
Gherald0   draws Nomad Camp, Gold, Gold, Gold, Gold

Woot.
My opponent has more loot than me

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: October 08, 2014, 09:39:58 pm »

That's actually a great analogy. Real life dominion doesn't have point counters or veto mode, but the variant created for online play is still clearly based on it.

From everything I hear of Game of Thrones though, it's not so much "Almost Dominion, but with some online variants."  It's more like "Dominion at the start of the game, but every time you buy a kingdom card you also gain a card from the nearest copy of Ascension, the Curse stack is replaced by a Euchre deck, and you win by taking more tricks than your opponents."
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: October 08, 2014, 09:55:48 pm »

From everything I hear of Game of Thrones though, it's not so much "Almost Dominion, but with some online variants."  It's more like "Dominion at the start of the game, but every time you buy a kingdom card you also gain a card from the nearest copy of Ascension, the Curse stack is replaced by a Euchre deck, and you win by taking more tricks than your opponents."
Oh no, it's not nearly that different. More like the difference between the newest iphone and the newest android? Sure, there are some things that don't work the same way, but the basic concepts are very much the same. Season one of the show followed the first book very closely, they've since started to diverge more, I think one big reason is that in the books so many characters  have such boring phases in their arcs (literally just walking around for one book without anything happening) that they just have to add some twists  because if they don't show someone for a season, no one is going to remember who that is and if they show them doing nothing for a season, people are going to be upset screen time was wasted on them, but I'd say the general spirit of the story in the show is more or less the same than it was in the books.

Of course, the show is now approaching the portion of the story that irritated many readers with it's lack of anything of interest happening, so I'm curious to see what the showrunners will do next.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: October 08, 2014, 09:57:17 pm »
+4

I made a thread so we can get out of this one. Let's go talk over there!

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=11882.msg427765

GwinnR

• Tactician
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #3870 on: October 09, 2014, 04:49:29 am »
+12

I'm not sure, if this is the right meme...
Nobody's perfect, but I'm only a nobody o.O

My german Youtube-Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gwinnrdominion

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: October 09, 2014, 07:11:54 am »

I don't know why people complain about the black licorice jelly bean...
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: October 09, 2014, 02:33:13 pm »
+1

Because it tastes like someone took a dump on it?

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: October 09, 2014, 02:35:44 pm »
+1

Because it tastes like someone took a dump on it?

They can't all be the best jelly bean...
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: October 09, 2014, 02:36:30 pm »
+2

I'm not sure, if this is the right meme...

I'm pretty sure he's obligated to start out with "Why the fuck... ?"
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 259  All

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.