Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 259  All

Author Topic: Homage to the Best Card  (Read 2300055 times)

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
Re: Homage to the Best Card
« Reply #3825 on: October 06, 2014, 10:29:37 am »

This in turn was a reference to Wizards of the Coast people saying similar things about Magic. See http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/dl49, search for "best" and click the thing.

So you did got inspiration from MTG after all :).

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: October 06, 2014, 10:44:25 am »
+9

Pretty sure The Simpsons did it first:

Quote from: The Simpsons, probably
Season five is fine, why do people even complain about season five?. They can't all be the best season ever.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: October 06, 2014, 12:36:45 pm »

^ Yes I do

Has anyone done this yet?

Someone explain this one?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GwinnR

• Tactician
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #3828 on: October 06, 2014, 12:46:20 pm »

Nobody's perfect, but I'm only a nobody o.O

My german Youtube-Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gwinnrdominion

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: October 06, 2014, 01:05:28 pm »

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: October 07, 2014, 12:50:02 am »
+1

^ Yes I do

Don't you know 'The Hunger Games"-trilogy?

Ah, thanks. Yeah, haven't read/seen them yet.

I would say read them before watching them.

This is from someone who watched only the 2nd movie and nothing else. My feeling is that it ran into the same problem a lot of adaptations have - clumsy ways to get around all the thinking the book character does, and characters acting in ways that don't make sense/are contradictory, which probably weren't that way in the book.

Actually I'll put it another way, the Harry Potter movies are pretty good if you're a fan of the books and know what's going to happen, but I'm astounded people who haven't read the books like them. The Hunger Games movies are likely to be similar.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: October 07, 2014, 01:25:51 am »
+4

^ Yes I do

Don't you know 'The Hunger Games"-trilogy?

Ah, thanks. Yeah, haven't read/seen them yet.

I would say read them before watching them.

This is from someone who watched only the 2nd movie and nothing else. My feeling is that it ran into the same problem a lot of adaptations have - clumsy ways to get around all the thinking the book character does, and characters acting in ways that don't make sense/are contradictory, which probably weren't that way in the book.

Actually I'll put it another way, the Harry Potter movies are pretty good if you're a fan of the books and know what's going to happen, but I'm astounded people who haven't read the books like them. The Hunger Games movies are likely to be similar.

I just recently watched all the HP movies for the first time; having never read the books. I thought they were just fine; they can't all be the best movie ever.

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +514
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: October 08, 2014, 07:31:50 am »

One of the big advantages of reading the books before seeing the movies was, when I went to see The Hunger Games in the theater and had to go to the bathroom really bad, I knew when a quiet, non-plot-critical scene was coming up so I went then and didn't miss much.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: October 08, 2014, 07:33:56 am »
+2

I just recently watched all the HP movies for the first time; having never read the books. I thought they were just fine; they can't all be the best movie ever.
they are the best books ever though. well, maybe not, but they are really damn good. and the movies are average at best. maybe they are fine in a vacuum, but not if you compare them to the books. and, yknow, the books aren't exactly easy to make movies off, but not that hard either. they could be a lot better.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: October 08, 2014, 09:07:40 am »
+4

they are the best books ever though. well, maybe not, but they are really damn good. and the movies are average at best. maybe they are fine in a vacuum, but not if you compare them to the books. and, yknow, the books aren't exactly easy to make movies off, but not that hard either. they could be a lot better.

To do the HP books justice in a movie theater, you'd have to do a treatment like Lord of the Rings... except there's about twice as much material in the HP books.  The first movie did a pretty good job... by taking the very shortest book and making a movie with a 2.5 hour runtime.  Most of the other HP movies had comparable runtimes, but the books got longer and longer, so the movies in general got worse.  They managed to do better by splitting Book 7 into two movies... except that Rowling really could have skipped over the 100 pages of camping and doing nothing in the beginning of that book.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: October 08, 2014, 09:24:57 am »

To do the HP books justice in a movie theater, you'd have to do a treatment like Lord of the Rings... except there's about twice as much material in the HP books.  The first movie did a pretty good job... by taking the very shortest book and making a movie with a 2.5 hour runtime.  Most of the other HP movies had comparable runtimes, but the books got longer and longer, so the movies in general got worse.  They managed to do better by splitting Book 7 into two movies... except that Rowling really could have skipped over the 100 pages of camping and doing nothing in the beginning of that book.

I did not read the books, only watched the movies. I do that with most adventure stories, they feel more at home in a movie than in a book for me. Anyway, the first movie is boring as hell, while the rest I really liked. I must say in general, the movies increase in interest. Notice that this may be due to the books increasing even more, so I am not saying anything about how each movie relate to its book.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3836 on: October 08, 2014, 09:37:11 am »

Some of the movies are fine. The first two are a bit hard to take seriously, and the fifth one is just horrible. I get that it's the longest book, so it might be a bit difficult to make a good short movie of it, but there was so much stuff in the movie that didn't even have to be there so surely they could have done a better job.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: October 08, 2014, 09:37:35 am »

SOme of the movies are good, the third one especially. Then some of them are crap, like the fifth one. Overall I much, much prefer the books but I've kind of given u on book-snobbery ever since I met the ASoIaF fandom, because dear God.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: October 08, 2014, 10:45:05 am »

I've kind of given u on book-snobbery ever since I met the ASoIaF fandom, because dear God.

What? We'll burn you for this heresy!

Robb didn't marry a girl from Volantis! :P
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #3839 on: October 08, 2014, 11:26:08 am »
+1

I would actually recommend the Hunger Games movies over the books.  They're very well-made, and the Catching Fire movie was far better than the book.  The Hunger Games trilogy is written in present tense, which I found completely unbearable to read.  Third book was really weak, and hopefully the movies improve on it.

As for the HP movies, I think they are fine as entertainment but all inferior to the text (which is to be expected).  The pacing of the GoF movie is ridiculously over the top, among other problems.  The OotP movie is really boring and has some terrible acting.  The HBP movie is hilarious, but is ruined by the addition of a totally pointless filler chase scene that lasts forever and the change to the climactic scene of the story. Harry trust Snape and lets him walk right up to Dumbledore in the movie, whereas in the book he is totally paralyzed by Dumbledore's spell and cannot interfere even though he wants to The PoA movie is pretty overrated in my opinion, but mostly suffers from a few bad moments. (That freeze-frame ending... the animal noise candy scene... seriously?)  I personally prefer the straighter adaptations of the first two films to the gutted text of the middle ones and the generally marvelous adaptations of the final two made those my favorites, especially DH part 1.  Of course, the first two films also have insanely good soundtracks, so that colors my perspective somewhat.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:33:04 am by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3840 on: October 08, 2014, 12:04:07 pm »

SOme of the movies are good, the third one especially. Then some of them are crap, like the fifth one. Overall I much, much prefer the books but I've kind of given u on book-snobbery ever since I met the ASoIaF fandom, because dear God.

What's wrong with the fandom? I recently started the books (just finished the first) and may start on the show soon.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: October 08, 2014, 12:32:30 pm »

What's wrong with the fandom? I recently started the books (just finished the first) and may start on the show soon.

I don't mean to criticize the fandom as a whole, but there's a big website called westeros.org where people loooove bashing the show for not being the books. Including the founders, who are chummy with Martin. You should read their reviews of the show, it's hilarious (and sad).
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: October 08, 2014, 12:53:44 pm »
+1

that would be a fair point, except the movies are wasing large amounts of time on pointless scenes, and with that they're  at least somewhat responsible for the lack of time on the scenes that matter. the best example for this is the scene where harry tries to get to the dragon without flying in the fourth movie. that scene isn't even in the book! why do that. I know, the answer is they thought it was an action scene that sells.

and the sport, however you spell it in english, is such a waste of time. the sport itself is stupid, over half of all players don't matter in most matches, it's something rowling designed in the first book and couldn't fix later, and it's also hard to do it well in the movies. so why not skip it? that would buy time for other stuff.

the fifth movie was the only one that did skip it I think. I also thought that was the best one.

and for the last book, well splitting it into 2 movies would be a good decision, but if you grind through 80% of the book in the first movie, the usefulness flies out the window. instead of doing the book justice, they got a large amount of time to flesh out the battle and invent even more scenes that aren't even in the books for the second movie. that's not doing it right.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: October 08, 2014, 01:07:15 pm »

I don't mean to criticize the fandom as a whole, but there's a big website called westeros.org where people loooove bashing the show for not being the books. Including the founders, who are chummy with Martin. You should read their reviews of the show, it's hilarious (and sad).

I just checked this review of S04E10: http://www.westeros.org/GoT/Episodes/Entry/The_Children/Book_Spoilers/
I don't see anything I would characterize as "bashing the show for not being the books". It critizes that some parts of the story do not make much sense when it deviates from the books, while they acknowledge the need for some changes and even praise some of them.
Maybe you can point me to another review that contains this?

Anyway, I don't think it is wrong to dislike things you liked about the books being changed in the show.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: October 08, 2014, 01:07:33 pm »

Downplaying quidditch might have helped, but they couldn't just cut it. It's a fan favourite and important to many plot points.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: October 08, 2014, 01:24:27 pm »

Downplaying quidditch might have helped, but they couldn't just cut it. It's a fan favourite and important to many plot points.

I don't know if I buy that. for one, they did skip it in the fifth book, and it's really important for the story there. and the movies also skip so many important plot points.

it is a fan favorite. but that's the problem, trying to please the fans and trying to make a good movie are 2 different things. it's possible to do them both, but I really didn't feel like they did much with quidditch in the movies. although I'm not an expert for the movies, only for the books  :P

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: October 08, 2014, 01:32:13 pm »

I don't know if I buy that. for one, they did skip it in the fifth book, and it's really important for the story there. and the movies also skip so many important plot points.

it is a fan favorite. but that's the problem, trying to please the fans and trying to make a good movie are 2 different things. it's possible to do them both, but I really didn't feel like they did much with quidditch in the movies. although I'm not an expert for the movies, only for the books  :P

Was it important for book 5? I don't recall. (It's worth noting that even though you liked that movie best, several others have called it the worst of the films. As for me, I didn't find any of the films particularly outstanding.)

I just know that there were important scenes at quidditch fields for several of the books. I can remember some for books 1, 3, and 4 at least.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: October 08, 2014, 01:33:07 pm »

The problem with their reviews is that they refuse to see the show as an independent entity. They are looking at the show as if it was something that has for sole purpose to bring the book to life. It doesn't, it has other things on its mind : it has a different viewpoint, different things to say ?

Is it better ? Is it worse ? Who cares, they are two different things.

Seriously read this review. It's all a very convoluted way of saying "I don't get it, why don't they do it exactly like it was in the books because that's what I want."

Of course the show is far from perfect, it has huge problems (the Jaime/Cersei scene being the most obvious example). Of course they are making some good points here and there (Arya and the Hound heading back once they learn Lysa's death makes very little sense). But their overall approach to the show, which is present in these reviews and on their forums at all times, is that of the book reader who wants to be catered to.

Edit : I'll admit that, reading that review, they've gotten better. I think I remember the Blackwater review infuriating me at the time if you want to check that out.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 01:39:12 pm by Teproc »

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: October 08, 2014, 01:34:17 pm »

Quidditch was important to the fifth book because Harry and the Weasleys (and Hermione, maybe, probably ?) are at the Quidditch World Cup whenthe Deatheaters make their comeback.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: October 08, 2014, 01:40:36 pm »
+1

Quidditch was important to the fifth book because Harry and the Weasleys (and Hermione, maybe, probably ?) are at the Quidditch World Cup whenthe Deatheaters make their comeback.

That's book 4.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 259  All

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.