Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 259  All

Author Topic: Homage to the Best Card  (Read 2302655 times)

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
Re: Homage to the Best Card
« Reply #3725 on: August 03, 2014, 06:40:39 pm »

I considered making it worth more than Gold, but I figured that this way it might actually be balanced (minus the "shave" clause, which could probably be abused depending on the game definition of "shave").  It's a $5 Gold with the drawback of being almost guaranteed to miss the reshuffle.  Thoughts on that?

as a serious card? boring. even more boring than stash.

I think it may be pretty good for engines as payload. Better than Gold even.

In any engine where you draw your deck each turn, this is much better than gold, even if it cost $6 you would prefer it to gold.
yea and then it's a worse version of nomad camp.

How is it a worse version of Nomad Camp?
Well you *do* need a signature...

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: August 03, 2014, 06:48:37 pm »
+3

Does it go to the bottom of your deck even if it is in your hand? I think the way worded now, yes.

No, because it's worded the same as Stash. If you were completely literal in the reading of Stash, it also fails to say "if this is in your discard pile", but it's clear that that's what it means. As I mentioned in some other thread recently; a completely literal reading of Stash would allow you to just take them from the supply whenever you shuffle.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: August 03, 2014, 06:49:30 pm »

I considered making it worth more than Gold, but I figured that this way it might actually be balanced (minus the "shave" clause, which could probably be abused depending on the game definition of "shave").  It's a $5 Gold with the drawback of being almost guaranteed to miss the reshuffle.  Thoughts on that?

In any engine where you draw your deck each turn, this is much better than gold, even if it cost $6 you would prefer it to gold.

Wait, what? It's much better than Nomad Camp... $3 instead of $2, and doesn't require an action to play. Only reason to ever prefer Nomad Camp in that situation is if you want to KC or Throne it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: August 03, 2014, 07:13:10 pm »
+1

Wait, what? It's much better than Nomad Camp... $3 instead of $2, and doesn't require an action to play. Only reason to ever prefer Nomad Camp in that situation is if you want to KC or Throne it.

…Or if you need one more buy?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: August 03, 2014, 08:09:31 pm »

oups, sorry, i keep confusing nomad camp with bandit camp. I've no idea why i do that, but I keep doing it.

it's a worse version of bandit camp. if you draw your whole deck, a bandit camp is a gold equivalent that's guaranteed to be at the bottom of your deck, and also produces +1 Action along the way.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: August 03, 2014, 09:27:03 pm »

…Or if you need one more buy?

Oops.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: August 03, 2014, 09:28:22 pm »

oups, sorry, i keep confusing nomad camp with bandit camp. I've no idea why i do that, but I keep doing it.

it's a worse version of bandit camp. if you draw your whole deck, a bandit camp is a gold equivalent that's guaranteed to be at the bottom of your deck, and also produces +1 Action along the way.

Edge case: Spoils are gone. But yeah, good point.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: August 03, 2014, 09:38:14 pm »

Ah, true enough.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: August 04, 2014, 12:18:07 am »

To be fair, Bandit Camp is a really good card.

Honestly, I'm more excited that this kinda-comboes with Pearl Diver - you can't say that about any other card.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3961
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: August 04, 2014, 01:29:08 am »

To be fair, Bandit Camp is a really good card.

Honestly, I'm more excited that this kinda-comboes with Pearl Diver - you can't say that about any other card.

And Chancellor, if you disallow shaving.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3735 on: August 04, 2014, 01:48:43 am »

Does it go to the bottom of your deck even if it is in your hand? I think the way worded now, yes.

No, because it's worded the same as Stash. If you were completely literal in the reading of Stash, it also fails to say "if this is in your discard pile", but it's clear that that's what it means. As I mentioned in some other thread recently; a completely literal reading of Stash would allow you to just take them from the supply whenever you shuffle.

While the Stash ruling applies to the Supply out of necessity (otherwise you can just gain all of them at once for free), it does not work as precedent for moving from hand.  Stash says "you may", which means that it doesn't automatically get pulled out of your hand.  The question is, can you choose to move them out of your hand and into your deck when you reshuffle?  You may want to when playing a draw-to-X card.  I don't think the FAQ covers this, actually.  The answer to that determines the answer to whether Staches in hand get pulled into the deck when you reshuffle.

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: August 04, 2014, 03:54:24 am »
+1

What do we have here?

I'm pretty sure this is already somewhere in those 150 pages...
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: August 04, 2014, 04:14:27 am »
+5

The wording in Stash applies to all games played with any kind of card anywhere, including Spades, Pokemon, and Magic: the Gathering.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: August 04, 2014, 10:09:44 am »
+1

Maybe the Stash wording would be more precise as "When you shuffle this, you may put it anywhere in your deck", to make it clear that it must be participating in the shuffle already.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: August 04, 2014, 10:11:13 am »

The wording in Stash applies to all games played with any kind of card anywhere, including Spades, Pokemon, and Magic: the Gathering.

Tarot readings too.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: August 04, 2014, 10:16:37 am »
+7

Tarot readings too.

Fortune Teller:  "The Stash!  It would seem you have made some horrible purchases recently."
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: August 04, 2014, 11:28:45 am »
+2

Tarot readings too.

Fortune Teller:  "The Stash!  It would seem you have made some horrible purchases recently."

Or that you will make 3 more bad ones in the near future.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: August 04, 2014, 02:23:38 pm »
+4

*Is dealt a Jack and a 9.  Sees the Dominion logo on the back of the top card.*

Hit me.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: August 04, 2014, 10:23:43 pm »
+1

Donald, I hope this is an acceptable use of your image.

Can we get a thread lock? It's only going to get worse from here.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: August 05, 2014, 02:25:26 am »

Donald, I hope this is an acceptable use of your image.

Can we get a thread lock? It's only going to get worse from here.
Still hasn't beat the op.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

SparinglyNoble

• Pawn
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: August 05, 2014, 04:51:51 pm »
+3

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: August 05, 2014, 05:27:06 pm »
+6

qdread

• Thief
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: August 11, 2014, 11:24:16 am »
+6

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #3748 on: August 11, 2014, 11:39:14 am »
+5

On the other side of the coin:

Story: Nick (dethwing) and I are playing and talking on Skype. He goes for Duchy/Duke with mediocre enablers at best and so I get to go for Horns uncontested. Things are going about how you would expect them to (actually I feel like my draws were *terrible* this game and his were, uhh, well you make your own shuffle luck) and on T14 I draw my deck. I get 8 Uniques into play including Counterfeit but I only have 7 Horns and $7. After playing my first Horn he sees I can probably pile out Provinces and he says "gg" to me, to which I reply that I'm $1 short of ending the game this turn and I was calculating what I should do about it.

He points out to me that I could have just Counterfeited a Horn and that I should resign the game out of shame.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: August 11, 2014, 12:31:16 pm »
+7

... After playing my first Horn he sees I can probably pile out Provinces and he says "gg" to me, to which I reply that I'm $1 short of ending the game this turn and I was calculating what I should do about it.

He points out to me that I could have just Counterfeited a Horn and that I should resign the game out of shame.

He was wrong. He should resign the next two games you guys play out of shame.

You had exactly 8 uniques in play, including Horn of Plenty. If you trash the horn for a province, the second time you play it you have only 7 unique cards in play
Join the Dominion League!
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 259  All

Page created in 2.117 seconds with 20 queries.