Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 30  All

Author Topic: New Expansion Speculation  (Read 157466 times)

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
Re: New Expansion Speculation
« Reply #525 on: December 05, 2014, 01:29:58 pm »

Animation for Flying Blades or whichever one does random damage until a minion dies is pretty sweet especially when it kills them and not mine.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: December 05, 2014, 06:40:40 pm »
+1

Heh, so I destroy my opponent's Sky Golem in Arena. It drops Jeeves, which lets me draw 2 extra cards.

Definitely needed those 2 cards to win the game.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: December 06, 2014, 01:24:12 am »

Heh, so I destroy my opponent's Sky Golem in Arena. It drops Jeeves, which lets me draw 2 extra cards.

Definitely needed those 2 cards to win the game.

I have no idea how to play against Sky Golem. My opponent played one, and the only way I could remove it was by Truesilver, but I didn't want to take extra damage from the summoned 4-cost minion. It was just all around annoying to deal with.

Edit: just to clarify - I know that killing with a weapon is the same amount of damage as if the minion hit your face anyways, but the problem is that the summoned 4-cost minion basically has charge, and once you're already taking 6 damage from the trade, it's so tricky to justify.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 01:28:19 am by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: December 06, 2014, 04:36:19 am »

I don't think there is any good way to play against Sky Golem. It's basically a slightly worse version of Cairne, and Cairne is crazy in arena. The whole piloted family is pretty bonkers.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: December 06, 2014, 12:59:20 pm »

I don't think there is any good way to play against Sky Golem. It's basically a slightly worse version of Cairne, and Cairne is crazy in arena. The whole piloted family is pretty bonkers.

Well the small shredder is manageable. Most 2 drops can be killed by a larger minions you have out. But 4 drops are hard to deal with.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: December 06, 2014, 03:05:17 pm »

Seems confirmed that Flamecannon is amazing. I'd pick it over Frostbolt for sure. There's even an argument for taking it over Fireball.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #532 on: December 06, 2014, 03:20:22 pm »
+2

Over Frostbolt I can see.  Over Fireball I cannot since it doesn't threaten lethal like Fireball does.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: December 06, 2014, 03:22:04 pm »

Slightly worse does a disservice to Cairne.  Cairne is guaranteed to provide an unsituational on-curve 4 drop when it cracks open on top of 4/5 being slightly better than 6/4.

With piloted skygolem I think it is good to setup a play tree where you have strong options no matter what the outcome of cracking it is.  It's like playing Tinkmaster in that it's good to have plan for the outcome where something needs to get spot removed vs. needs to be ignored.
And sometimes you need to recognize that you're at enough of a disadvantage that you can only win if the Sky golem whiffs into DoA, so optimal play is to assume that sky golem will whiff into DoA.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: December 06, 2014, 03:58:50 pm »
+1

• Draw Gahz'rilla off Webspinner
  • Play Gahz'rilla
  • Put Unstable Ghoul next to Gahz'rilla
  • Explosive Shot own Unstable Ghoul
  • Kill opponent

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: December 06, 2014, 04:18:27 pm »

4/5 being slightly better than 6/4.
I don't know if I agree on a 6-drop. At that stage of the game, 6/4 threatens to trade well (with help of ping) with other 6/7-drops like Boulderfist Ogre, Stormwind Champion, which 4/5 doesn't. You're also less concerned about raptors than you are earlier on. Not that 4/5 doesn't have its advantages, like surviving Flamestrike (although Flamestrike is less frequent now).

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9414
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: December 06, 2014, 04:37:38 pm »
+1

I don't know if I agree on a 6-drop. At that stage of the game, 6/4 threatens to trade well (with help of ping) with other 6/7-drops like Boulderfist Ogre, Stormwind Champion, which 4/5 doesn't. You're also less concerned about raptors than you are earlier on. Not that 4/5 doesn't have its advantages, like surviving Flamestrike (although Flamestrike is less frequent now).

Sure, but the 6/4 can also be killed by most 4-drops, and the 4-drop that appears might even be killed by a 3-drop or removal--average health of 4-drops is close to 4, not 5.  Meanwhile, Cairne isn't getting taken out by a 4-drop or lower without some boosts and great timing, and after Cairne pops you still have another 4/5.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: December 06, 2014, 04:45:44 pm »
+1

Pfft. Opponent plays Annoy-O-Tron to block my Dunemaul Shaman. My Dunemaul Shaman "misses" and hits face twice. Next turn my opponent plays Spectral Knight. I play Flametongue totem to boost my Shaman's attack (and that of my Darkscale healer). The Shaman "misses" and hits face twice. Again. Seeing lethal, I play Hex on the Annoy-O-Tron, remove the frog with Rockbite, and my Darkscale Healer hits face for the finish.

Now who's annoying.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: December 06, 2014, 04:47:41 pm »

I think there actually is gonna be a resurgence of Mage dominance in arena with this expansion.  We have a great 2/1 that's tempting to take for its strength against the other 8 classes, several strong 3 drops that will take on Harvest Golem's and Scarlet Crusader's role, but fail to survive flamestrikes (Ogre brute, spider tank, Tinkertown, 2/4s), more Polymorph food, and Flamecannon.

So I think health will start to regain importance for the main matchup where it lost some of that importance with Naxx due to give-up-on-killing-the-spiders and Sludge Belcher

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: December 06, 2014, 04:49:19 pm »
+1

Cairne pops

You must have been watching the streaming I don't do to know that Cairne is my only golden legendary but I approve this nickname for myself

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: December 06, 2014, 05:57:29 pm »

Achievement unlocked: Win a game where you played Fel Reaver.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: December 06, 2014, 06:07:40 pm »
+1

Achievement unlocked: Win a game where you played Fel Reaver.
In arena that doesn't seem the least bit hard.. I only find the card wanting in constructed.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: December 06, 2014, 06:08:48 pm »

The real achievement in arena is winning a game when your opponent plays Fel Reaver. Now _that_ is hard.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: December 06, 2014, 06:36:20 pm »

Well, it seemed pretty epic when it happened. I played it against a Paladin on turn 5, and went into fatigue by turn 8. But I had hopes of winning the game because the rest of my hand was full of quality cards. It was also one of my only 2 activators for Tinkertown Technician. I guess the real challenge is getting a 12-win run  with the card in the deck. To me, it looks it makes your deck converge to the 7-win mark at best.

I picked it in the draft mainly for the lulz (other 2 choices were Clockwork Giant and Echoing Ooze with no combo options). I'm surprised by how decent it is (I did indeed lose a game against another player who played it even though they went to fatigue and I had destroyed it the turn after it was played.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: December 06, 2014, 08:23:10 pm »
+1

The real achievement in arena is winning a game when your opponent plays Fel Reaver. Now _that_ is hard.
I got the beast in..

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: December 06, 2014, 08:27:34 pm »

I've lost with it on board one, I think.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: December 06, 2014, 09:01:51 pm »

Done. I had Big Game Hunter.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: December 06, 2014, 09:17:58 pm »

Just pulled this off:
Turn 2: Pint Sized Summoner
Turn 3: Coin -> Fel Reaver

So then, it could be good Innervate minion.

Also, Coghammer seems to be amazing, at least in arena. If your 2 or 3 attack 2 drop survives through turn 2, playing Coghammer on turn 3 gives you 4+ points worth of damage and you still have a 2 drop and a 2/2 weapon.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: December 06, 2014, 10:55:39 pm »

Got Malorne off a Spider in ranked, but I didn't get to play it because my opponent resigned on turn 6. :_(

I never got to see the animation or sound effects.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: December 06, 2014, 11:35:08 pm »

Pulled this off:

;D
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 30  All

Page created in 2.181 seconds with 21 queries.