Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 30  All

Author Topic: New Expansion Speculation  (Read 157467 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: New Expansion Speculation
« Reply #450 on: December 03, 2014, 10:41:16 am »

I can't believe I didn't pick up on the homstar runner reference in troggzor till i saw the flavor text
I was mixing up the names in my head, not thinking that it might have been intentionally named like that.

Also, what's Sabotage referencing. I feel like I know it, but I'm drawing a blank.

Much flavour. so lore. WoW.

the song sabotage by the beastie boys

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 03, 2014, 11:17:38 am »

I can't believe I didn't pick up on the homstar runner reference in troggzor till i saw the flavor text
I was mixing up the names in my head, not thinking that it might have been intentionally named like that.

Also, what's Sabotage referencing. I feel like I know it, but I'm drawing a blank.

the song sabotage by the beastie boys
Should have known that one. It's in a Guitar Hero game.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9414
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 03, 2014, 11:25:31 am »

Also of interest:  Only 44 commons (18 class, 26 neutral) in a set of 123 cards.  I foresee a crapton of dust in everyone's futures... and there's going to be very little reason to craft commons.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 03, 2014, 11:31:52 am »

I hadn't heard of Troggs outside of Troggzor, so no mix up from me. I don't get the doge meme thing on Fel Reaver. Is it actually something related or they just had nothing good to put?

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 03, 2014, 11:42:49 am »

Also of interest:  Only 44 commons (18 class, 26 neutral) in a set of 123 cards.  I foresee a crapton of dust in everyone's futures... and there's going to be very little reason to craft commons.

There were 94 common of 245 card in the original expert set, so it's not really that much less.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 03, 2014, 11:44:35 am »

I hadn't heard of Troggs outside of Troggzor, so no mix up from me. I don't get the doge meme thing on Fel Reaver. Is it actually something related or they just had nothing good to put?

No real connection, they probably just wanted a Doge reference somewhere.  Fel Reaver was a horrible annoyance, I suppose, but that's really not a comparison with a Shiba Inu...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 03, 2014, 12:01:43 pm »

No real connection, they probably just wanted a Doge reference somewhere.  Fel Reaver was a horrible annoyance, I suppose, but that's really not a comparison with a Shiba Inu...
It's not a joke that's likely to age well though.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 03, 2014, 12:04:22 pm »
+2

It's the flavour text on one card though. It's not a problem if it doesn't age super well

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #458 on: December 03, 2014, 12:18:03 pm »

Indeed. It got old in a couple of days after becoming popular.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 03, 2014, 12:42:36 pm »

That would mean all Doge jokes that came after those couple of days were only funny in an ironic way. Compare with the flavour text of Crush, which is a lot more long-lasting even though it's a pop culture reference.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: December 03, 2014, 03:53:07 pm »

A bunch of interaction clarifications here: http://www.hearthstonetopdecks.com/goblins-vs-gnomes-card-clarifications-ben-brode/

This one is particularly interesting: https://twitter.com/cataclyst78/status/539959426375897088 So Mistress of Pain / Auchenai Soulpriest is the biggest nombo in the game now.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 03:55:50 pm by ycz6 »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 03, 2014, 04:44:14 pm »
+1

They should reword some things to match what the cards are doing.  Like Tracking/Mine.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 03, 2014, 05:05:57 pm »
+1

Much hipster.  So high-horse.  Amaze.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 03, 2014, 05:53:16 pm »

This one is particularly interesting: https://twitter.com/cataclyst78/status/539959426375897088 So Mistress of Pain / Auchenai Soulpriest is the biggest nombo in the game now.
This is almost usable. Suppose you're Priest facing Warlock, and the Warlock has Mistress of Pain and Sylvanas on the board. Drop Auchenai Soulpriest, cast Shadow Word: Death on Sylvanas so her deathrattle steals the soulpriest, and then you just need to run a minion into the MoP somehow. A charger would do the trick, but Priest wouldn't usually have one. If you had something on the board already, that could work, but it would need to dodge Sylvanas's deathrattle effect first.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: December 03, 2014, 06:08:14 pm »

This is almost usable. Suppose you're Priest facing Warlock, and the Warlock has Mistress of Pain and Sylvanas on the board. Drop Auchenai Soulpriest, cast Shadow Word: Death on Sylvanas so her deathrattle steals the soulpriest, and then you just need to run a minion into the MoP somehow. A charger would do the trick, but Priest wouldn't usually have one. If you had something on the board already, that could work, but it would need to dodge Sylvanas's deathrattle effect first.
With all the random summoning of minions, the fatal nombo can happen accidentally.

You play Flamestrike and destroy a Piloted Golem and a Piloted Shredder, revealing Auchenai and Mistress of Pain. Attack the Mistress, and it's "Best Hearthstone Moments" material.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 03, 2014, 06:10:03 pm »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: December 03, 2014, 09:18:14 pm »

So the idea is that you play Mechwarper and four copies of Replicate (Mad scientist is essentially two of them.  I put counterspell in to keep him from fizzling but it might be better to just let him fizzle so he doesn't miss, not sure).

You play a little early game stuff, then trade, then let your board become empty, then play Mechwarper.  If they silence it, dude, you're weird, who runs silence (it looks grim though).  If they kill it, you get 2 Mechwarpers in hand which lets wombo combo dump tons of mechs later.  If they don't kill it, you'll probably win in spite losing 3 mana's worth of tempo playing that secret because you'll be able to get so much mech discount and Annoyotron will eventually force them to pop replicate.

The tough part is what if you don't draw Mechwarper.  The deck has some stally nature to it to make that ok though.

That's just a rough draft of the idea.  On second thought I think the deck needs to be more freeze-magish to make it consistently last long enough to see Mechwarper.  Spells are also great if you want to beat face with a Mechwarper without playing other replicate targets anyway.

Acolyte of Pain and Cult master might be better than Jeeves, I'm not sure to what extent Jeeves is just shiny and new.  Or Arcane Intellect, that's a card.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 03, 2014, 09:42:20 pm »

That would mean all Doge jokes that came after those couple of days were only funny in an ironic way. Compare with the flavour text of Crush, which is a lot more long-lasting even though it's a pop culture reference.
What's this? Is Shielded Minibot referencing Futurama?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 03, 2014, 09:55:20 pm »

Actually, why does the Mistress Auchenai thing kill you? Wouldn't it just deal damage for the damage Mistress does? Why does it repeat till you die?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 03, 2014, 10:11:47 pm »

Actually, why does the Mistress Auchenai thing kill you? Wouldn't it just deal damage for the damage Mistress does? Why does it repeat till you die?
Remember Auchenai makes your cards do healing instead of damage, just like an over write.

So Mistress's new text is "Whenever Mistress deals damage to something, Mistress deals that much damage to your hero".

Since Mistress dealing damage to your hero is Mistress dealing damage to something the result of the proc can and should generate another proc.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 03, 2014, 10:30:06 pm »

Remember Auchenai makes your cards do healing instead of damage, just like an over write.

So Mistress's new text is "Whenever Mistress deals damage to something, Mistress deals that much damage to your hero".

Since Mistress dealing damage to your hero is Mistress dealing damage to something the result of the proc can and should generate another proc.
Yeah. The heal becomes damage dealing, like how Knife Juggler deals damage when you summon a minion. It looks like they decided heal-turned-damage counts as Mistress dealing damage and therefore it triggers the heal. The heal of course becomes dealt damage as well, and the loop is formed.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 03, 2014, 10:37:31 pm »

Y'know, I think Blizz avoids admitting to mistakes to an unreasonable extent when they make patches.  Gadgetzan probably had to be nerfed because the new cards like Spare Parts were breaking him.  It was rather shortsighted in the first place to make a card like him that is balanced only by the lack of existence of cheap spells to proc him if the plan to expand the game in the future.  And he might need to be nerfed yet again if this game is around for ten years or what have you.  Gadgetzan + various potential future innervate variants + various potential future faceshot variants is an OTK whatever turn you play him.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 03, 2014, 10:46:04 pm »

Y'know, I think Blizz avoids admitting to mistakes to an unreasonable extent when they make patches.  Gadgetzan probably had to be nerfed because the new cards like Spare Parts were breaking him.  It was rather shortsighted in the first place to make a card like him that is balanced only by the lack of existence of cheap spells to proc him if the plan to expand the game in the future.  And he might need to be nerfed yet again if this game is around for ten years or what have you.  Gadgetzan + various potential future innervate variants + various potential future faceshot variants is an OTK whatever turn you play him.
But then you had Buzzard, which was crazy even before the expansion, especially after they changed Unleash the Hounds so that it summons hounds.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 03, 2014, 11:26:49 pm »

I think it's fine to temporarily have cards that restrict future design space. I'd prefer if Blizzard would simply rotate them out rather than nerf them, but anyway, I think the game was better for Miracle Rogue existing as an archetype, because that's a pretty cool deck. Another example is Auchenai Soulpriest: cool card, but will eventually need to be removed or nerfed because it limits the design space of every targeted heal effect that's neutral or Priest-specific. It's still good to have in the game at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 30  All

Page created in 2.257 seconds with 22 queries.