Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 30  All

Author Topic: New Expansion Speculation  (Read 157549 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: New Expansion Speculation
« Reply #425 on: December 02, 2014, 04:36:55 pm »

I want to make a deck centered on Dark Wispers, entirely because of the name.

Also, Malorne, holy shit.  That's one hell of a silence target.

Yeah, it'll make a stall Druid very strong. Along with 1 Tree of Life, you could stall the game and have a huge returning large threats. Although the meta would need to be control heavy to run such a slow deck. Still very strong though.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 02, 2014, 04:40:57 pm »

What do people think about a Mill/Taunt/heal Druid deck which uses fatigue + Malorne as a win condition? There are some good new taunts (Robo Cub, Arcane Nullifier, Dark Wispers, Lil' Exorcist, Annoy-o-Tron), ridiculous amounts of healing (Antique Healbot, Tree of Life), and some new mill synergy (Grove Tender, Clockwork Giant). Plus, Druid's lack of good hard removal will no longer be a problem, because Naturalize would be playable! Recycle is also an option, though it does conflict with mill.

I guess the test will be whether you can getting run over by mechs in the early game, and I suspect the answer is no. But we'll see...

Edit: Ninja'd
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 04:42:22 pm by ycz6 »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 02, 2014, 04:47:03 pm »

What do people think about a Mill/Taunt/heal Druid deck which uses fatigue + Malorne as a win condition? There are some good new taunts (Robo Cub, Arcane Nullifier, Dark Wispers, Lil' Exorcist, Annoy-o-Tron), ridiculous amounts of healing (Antique Healbot, Tree of Life), and some new mill synergy (Grove Tender, Clockwork Giant). Plus, Druid's lack of good hard removal will no longer be a problem, because Naturalize would be playable! Recycle is also an option, though it does conflict with mill.

I guess the test will be whether you can getting run over by mechs in the early game, and I suspect the answer is no. But we'll see...

The best use of Tree of Life is to mill your opponent until both players are in fatigue, then drop ToL as a big fuck-you, then Malorne...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 02, 2014, 05:08:52 pm »

The best use of Tree of Life is to mill your opponent until both players are in fatigue, then drop ToL as a big fuck-you, then Malorne...

It's interesting how Malorne can save you from a turn of fatigue. But since you both the Tree'd back to full life I don't see how the fatigue can be used to kill them. They get pump back to full life and get more time to win.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 02, 2014, 05:14:12 pm »

It's interesting how Malorne can save you from a turn of fatigue. But since you both the Tree'd back to full life I don't see how the fatigue can be used to kill them. They get pump back to full life and get more time to win.
The Druid is likely to win with Malorne in that scenario if the other player doesn't have silence on hand. Very possible, seeing as the other player is in fatigue. Malorne will just keep coming back.

Also the warrior mine from the legendary lets them draw a card after the 10 damage is done. Aw.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 02, 2014, 05:14:25 pm »

The theorycrafting is about a deck that uses Coldlight, Naturalize, Dancing Swords, etc. to make your opponent ahead several turns of fatigue. If you can set this up, and not die to the card advantage, you should win long term. In a deck like that, you're probably the one who has more to gain from Tree of Life, because all you're trying to do is stall.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2984
    • View Profile

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 02, 2014, 06:18:50 pm »
+1

Malganis is whatever.  Might be ok.  Makes the blingtron-harrison combo sexier for handlock.

Implosion is swingy but it's deliberately underpowered like mind control tech so that it won't bother the real players too much.

Malorne is probably useless.  For an x/7 we expect to pay 6 for Boulderfist Ogre but then we're still dissatisfied with that anyway.  So the effect needs to help somehow but it's not a good effect... the effect causes you to draw the card that is overcosted in the first place, so you can only consider it a good card with recursive logic.

Double fatigue situation is no help either.  Druid mill might be supported by GvG but if it is it has no need for a 9/7 for 7.  What, you skip a single Fatigue 4 draw from playing it, and it's a priestess with some extra health?  Playing it yet again is just unrealistic, the game will be over by then.  Healbot, Tree of life, even Alexstraza are all doing its job better.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 02, 2014, 06:24:11 pm »

Malganis is whatever.  Might be ok.  Makes the blingtron-harrison combo sexier for handlock.

Implosion is swingy but it's deliberately underpowered like mind control tech so that it won't bother the real players too much.

Malorne is probably useless.  For an x/7 we expect to pay 6 for Boulderfist Ogre but then we're still dissatisfied with that anyway.  So the effect needs to help somehow but it's not a good effect... the effect causes you to draw the card that is overcosted in the first place, so you can only consider it a good card with recursive logic.

Double fatigue situation is no help either.  Druid mill might be supported by GvG but if it is it has no need for a 9/7 for 7.  What, you skip a single Fatigue 4 draw from playing it, and it's a priestess with some extra health?  Playing it yet again is just unrealistic, the game will be over by then.  Healbot, Tree of life, even Alexstraza are all doing its job better.

If the world is full of control warriors, I think Malorne will be an option.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: December 02, 2014, 07:00:22 pm »
+1

If you're trying to play the most controlly of control decks, it's nice to know you can never run out of threats, so there's some appeal there. But is it better than other 9-mana win conditions? Probably not.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 02, 2014, 07:18:18 pm »

Control Warriors HAVE to run acolyte of pain, which makes them the free-est of freebies for wrecking with a deckout strategy.  As a bonus, tree of life heals their acolyte so you can wrath it and hero power it even more.  If the matchup was still an issue for you after that, Acidic Swamp Ooze would improve that matchup dramatically without wrecking your other matchups as much because a 3/2 for 2 is much more efficient than a 9/7 for 7, especially with symmetric draw keeping your hand full.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 07:19:54 pm by popsofctown »

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 02, 2014, 07:47:53 pm »

Hey, that Trade Master Galywix is liked a fixed version of the Lorewalker Cho effect. Also 8 health for 6 mana is cool. Hrm, but you're still at a huge tempo disadvantage if it gets executed or something. I guess it's meh.

This is where Troggzor shines. If it gets executed, it's practically a Cairne. I presume the summoning of the Rockjaw occurs before the spell resolves. If that's the case, it's even better than Cairne because you still get the 3/5 body if it gets hexed or Polymorphed (unless morphed by Tinkmaster or something). Even when silenced, it's still a 6/6, bigger than Cairne. So, it's really strong against control decks relying on removal to hold the game.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 02, 2014, 08:12:13 pm »

Arcane Nullifier seems great.  It's 2/5 Fairie Dragon with Taunt.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 02, 2014, 10:05:18 pm »
+1

I wonder to what extent it's going to be correct to continue to play around cards like flamestrike in arena.  The more and more cards that come out, the less number of flamestrikes we will see in any given arena deck.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: December 02, 2014, 10:55:15 pm »

Hey, that Trade Master Galywix is liked a fixed version of the Lorewalker Cho effect. Also 8 health for 6 mana is cool. Hrm, but you're still at a huge tempo disadvantage if it gets executed or something. I guess it's meh.

This is where Troggzor shines. If it gets executed, it's practically a Cairne. I presume the summoning of the Rockjaw occurs before the spell resolves. If that's the case, it's even better than Cairne because you still get the 3/5 body if it gets hexed or Polymorphed (unless morphed by Tinkmaster or something). Even when silenced, it's still a 6/6, bigger than Cairne. So, it's really strong against control decks relying on removal to hold the game.
You can regain the tempo advantage with your own execute though.

Troggzor is a better deterrent to casting spells, but both of them are deterrent enough that you should expect to win the game if your opponent can't answer the threat purely using creatures.  Since Gallywix is above vanilla neutral curve and Troggzor is below vanilla neutral curve, Gallywix does a much better job of being harder to answer with just creatures.

Gallywix, for the record, looks like a pretty big deal of a card.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 02, 2014, 11:24:40 pm »

Gallywix is clearly strong considered in a vacuum, but I'm not clear what kind of Rogue deck would run him. It's not like there's a Rogue deck that runs Sylvanas, for example.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 02, 2014, 11:30:49 pm »

Gallywix is clearly strong considered in a vacuum, but I'm not clear what kind of Rogue deck would run him. It's not like there's a Rogue deck that runs Sylvanas, for example.
It's bound to be a meta-call card at the very least. Cards like this and Troggzor are also bound to shape the meta themselves.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: December 03, 2014, 09:28:31 am »

I don't know 2/5 is bad stats for a 4-drop. The Faerie Dragon effect means your opponent has to use minions to remove it, but with only 2 attack, it doesn't hurt so much to bash minions into it, and if your opponent doesn't have any minions then the taunt is not a big deal and the 2 damage doesn't apply much pressure.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: December 03, 2014, 09:45:04 am »

I don't know 2/5 is bad stats for a 4-drop. The Faerie Dragon effect means your opponent has to use minions to remove it, but with only 2 attack, it doesn't hurt so much to bash minions into it, and if your opponent doesn't have any minions then the taunt is not a big deal and the 2 damage doesn't apply much pressure.
Priests can't heal it and that makes me sad.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 03, 2014, 10:08:28 am »

http://www.hearthhead.com/#new-cards-and-flavor-text

New flavor texts include:

Dark Wispers: "Don't worry; we fired the person who named this card."
Sabotage: "Rogues can't stand it. They know you planned it! They are going to set you straight!"
Fel Reaver: "So reaver. Much fel. Wow."
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 03, 2014, 10:09:06 am »

This expansion is pretty big, and the design choices seem more far reaching in consequence than Naxx.  I'm optimistic all kinds of archetypes will be born (and die), some of which we might not be able to predict.

I think it could be good.  Having only 2 attack is an issue, but it's not as much of an issue as low health would be, because buffs can correct that and improved attack has faster diminishing returns than improved health.  Faerie Dragon and Spectral Knight both have this property of being extra powerful buff receptacles because all the buffs you put in come under the safety of the spell targetting umbrella and are a safe investment - it's like, a multiplier on the goodness of your Shatterd Sun Clerics or Young Priestesses buff.  Arcane Nullifiers multiplier is even better because you can put buffs under that umbrella and then those buffs are getting taunt, so now it can't get removed by virtue of hitting your face and killing your hero, which can be a pretty effective way of removing a Spectral knight buffed by Young Priestess and SSC by the way if you didn't manage to give it taunt.

I think if you don't have some strong good faith intentions of making sure Arcane Nullifier gets buffed then it is a bad card.  He's probably restricted to Rogue and Warrior off the bat because they're the only two that can super SSC a Mech for being a Mech.  I'm surprised about the lack of equality in that department, only Priest and Hunter has other mech buffs.  Priest doesn't buff Nullifiers attack, and it needs to get corrected so that's a bit of an issue.  Hunter buffs only its attack, which is exactly what you want, but, based on the cards we see available the only way to build mech tribal for hunter will be way too aggro for 2/5 taunts.

Tinker's Sharpsword Oil would be a nifty way of buffing a faerie dragon and only a faerie dragon using a spell if it wasn't overcosted by at least 1 mana.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: December 03, 2014, 10:14:04 am »

I can't believe I didn't pick up on the homstar runner reference in troggzor till i saw the flavor text

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 03, 2014, 10:21:24 am »

I'd be funner to read the flavor text if they weren't still phoning it in on the art so hard so much.  Puddlestomper is a vanilla creature that is casting some kind of water spell in his hands.  Probably a leftover from WoW tcg

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: December 03, 2014, 10:23:57 am »

I can't believe I didn't pick up on the homstar runner reference in troggzor till i saw the flavor text
I was mixing up the names in my head, not thinking that it might have been intentionally named like that.

Also, what's Sabotage referencing. I feel like I know it, but I'm drawing a blank.

Much flavour. so lore. WoW.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 30  All

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 22 queries.