Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 30  All

Author Topic: New Expansion Speculation  (Read 157530 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: New Expansion Speculation
« Reply #350 on: December 02, 2014, 10:50:30 am »

I can't even enjoy the innovative mechanic because I'm still peeved by the grammatical incorrectness of cards like this and Gurubashi Beserker
Not to mention Jeeves which blatantly lies about its effect. If they wanted to prevent infinite draw loops with the card or instant fatigue kill, they should have worked harder on the wording.

Maybe Donald. X has raised our standards about wording too high.

Honestly I don't have a huge issue with it. I mean, the other option is "Draw the number of cards that would put you at 3 cards in hand." Or something like that. It just it's as simple to read. Sure there is the case of when your deck is empty. But for a game like hearthstone that wants to appeal to everyone, I don't think picky wording is a big issue for them.

Then again, they did have to reword the Naxx cards because the ommited the "random" part of certain cards. So they do over simplify wordings.
That's not the only other option.  They can just make the card functionality match the effect and make it infinitely loop, since the interaction won't come up that much.  And casual players experience deckout games the least.

What would happen if it looped infinitely? A tie?

First person to try to draw with no cards dies. You don't draw cards at the same time as each other.

Can you die while the effect hasn't finished resolving?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 02, 2014, 11:28:52 am »

^I don't think so. That's something they would have to change to make things work "as worded".

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 02, 2014, 11:34:04 am »

Yeah, checking for death happens after cards resolve. And I don't actually think it would be a good effect to have on the card. Instant death is not fun, and there is not much you can do about this if you get into fatigue. You wouldn't really get much chance to remove it. The wording isn't the best, but it's clear enough that I don't think it needs changing, not like Webspinner needed changing.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #353 on: December 02, 2014, 11:38:32 am »

They can't all be the best wording ever.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 02, 2014, 11:48:41 am »

Yes they can if they're all equally terrible.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #355 on: December 02, 2014, 11:51:30 am »
+1

Yes they can if they're all equally terrible.

War Golem has a good wording.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 02, 2014, 12:19:59 pm »

And I don't actually think it would be a good effect to have on the card.
I totally disagree here actually. It would hardly ever matter, because to die this way, you'd need no more than 2 cards remaining in your hand and deck combined. This does happen in control match-ups somewhat often, but control decks would absolutely not run Jeeves. So we're talking about a very rare scenario.

And the upside is great player stories when it does happen. Imagine the reddit posts and youtubes from when the insta-death does occur. It's exactly what the designers want.

(Also, I disagree that you wouldn't get much chance to remove it. It doesn't draw until the _end_ of turn, so if you really can't remove a 1/4 from the board given one turn to do so, then Jeeves is certainly not the only card that would guarantee your loss at that point.)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 12:23:14 pm by blueblimp »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 02, 2014, 12:43:17 pm »

The best thing about Bolvar Fordragon might be that it doesn't gain attack while in play.  You can deliberately make him 6/7 against druid, 4/7 against Priest, and even 1/7 to facecheck a misdirection

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 02, 2014, 01:18:49 pm »

I think the bigger problem with checking for hero death mid-card is that it's inconsistent with the timing for checking minion death. So if I am at 1HP with an empty deck, and you're at 2HP and I Shiv my Leper Gnome, I die before you?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 02, 2014, 01:32:32 pm »

They just released a huge amount of cards on their facebook page. I assume they're also on hearthpwn. One takes control of an enemy secret, another Stoneskin Gargoyle a la mech variation, Legendary that Battecry: destroys an enemy Beast. Lots of cool stuff

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: December 02, 2014, 01:38:34 pm »

I think the bigger problem with checking for hero death mid-card is that it's inconsistent with the timing for checking minion death. So if I am at 1HP with an empty deck, and you're at 2HP and I Shiv my Leper Gnome, I die before you?
Checking for hero death midcard results in fewer draws than checking for hero death between card plays.  I think shivving your own Leper Gnome is a draw with the current system.  Draws are something you want to avoid, they're rarely satisfying and they make tournaments more of a pain.  I don't think viewers dig them either.

But alternatively we could decide the heroes and minions should both die between card plays, but add a card after Fatigue 21 that says "You lose, right now!"

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 02, 2014, 01:52:36 pm »
+1

All the new cards: http://www.hearthpwn.com/news/718-gvg-card-reveal-36-new-cards-upcoming-balance. Plus huge balance changes. Soulfire gets a nerf, Auctioneer gets a nerf (RIP Miracle Rogue), Flare gets a nerf (hooray, but I'd prefer a bigger nerf).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 01:53:55 pm by blueblimp »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 02, 2014, 01:59:17 pm »

HOLY SHIT FINALLY NERFING SOULFIRE OH MY GOSH NOTHING COULD MAKE ME HAPPIER

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 02, 2014, 02:05:57 pm »

They just released a huge amount of cards on their facebook page. I assume they're also on hearthpwn. One takes control of an enemy secret, another Stoneskin Gargoyle a la mech variation, Legendary that Battecry: destroys an enemy Beast. Lots of cool stuff

Hearthpwn link: http://www.hearthpwn.com/ (just scroll down)

Tons of new cards here.

Tree of Life seems like it could see decks built around it. It basically resets everyone's life total. Kindof an anti aggro card, but it costs 9 mana and your turn. Really interesting though.

Hobgoblin seems like it could be good in a Weenie or Token deck (3 mana, 2/3 +2/+2 for every minion you summon with 1 attack).

Kezan Mystic seems like a really cool anti-secret card (4 mana 4/3 steal a secret).

Wee Spellstopper seems like it might potentially make viable all those big minions that do nothing the turn the come out (4 mana 2/5 prevent adjacent minions from being targeted), but it costs so much that maybe not.
One Eyed Cheat seems like a poor attempt at making Pirates a viable tribe (2 mana, 4/1, rogue card, pirate that gains stealth whenever you summon a pirate).
Shadowboxer looks strong, like a Knife Juggler just for priests.
Floating watcher looks cool. 5 mana 4/4 Warlock card that gets +2/+2 every time you take damage. Tap to victory! A little slow, but potentially something that could make a different sort of Warlock deck viable.
Cogmaster's Wrench seems crucial to every Mech deck that can run it. (Is that a Paladin card? I'm not sure). 3 mana 1 attack weapon that has +2 attack when you control a mech.
Grove Tender seems strong in Druid Ramp decks (3 mana druid card, 2/4 choose one: each player draws a card or each player gains a mana crystal.)
Crush seems like a strong change to Warrior. New removal spells are always big. 7 mana, destroy a minion if you have a damaged minion it costs 3 mana.

ALSO 3 balance changes were announced:
Soulfire now costs 1. FUCK YOU ZOO. (probably still worth playing.)
Gadgetzan now costs 6. FUCK YOU MIRACLE. (This seems like a huge nerf to miracle.)
Flare now costs 2. FUCK YOU HUNTER. (I think Hunter will still be strong, but running Flare will be a harder choice now.)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 02, 2014, 02:09:13 pm »
+1

Also! I have 3 Flares! I'll get a free Rare! Hooray!

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 02, 2014, 02:10:03 pm »

I'm really sad that they chose to add another hard counter to secrets (Kezan Mystic). Flare is bad enough. Secrets are pretty weak already and really don't need a nerf.

I find secrets to be one of the most fun mechanics in the game. They're fun to play and fun to play around. My hope is that Mystic doesn't get played (since against most classes it's a 4/3 for 4 mana, pretty awful).

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 02, 2014, 02:13:19 pm »

That Troggzor the Earthinator looks interesting. Also a vanilla Murloc that has proper stats, 2 mana 2/3.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 02, 2014, 02:13:24 pm »

Fel Reaver looks particularly bad...

I mean, sure, an 8/8 on a 5 Drop, but with no impact "this turn", it's drawback is terrible...
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 02, 2014, 02:14:56 pm »
+1

I mean, sure, an 8/8 on a 5 Drop, but with no impact "this turn", it's drawback is terrible...

they're adding to the fb page faster than hearthpwn keeps up

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 02, 2014, 02:15:50 pm »

Yeah, I doubt mystic will see much play. The meta needs to have tons of Secrets for it to be worth it. If Hunter stays big it'll see play, or if Freeze mage or Mage secret decks get better. But somehow I doubt it'll be that good.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 02, 2014, 02:16:20 pm »

Is there a change to it on fb that makes it less terrible?
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 02, 2014, 02:17:24 pm »

sorry i quoted your post planning to comment on it but decided not to, i was unrelated

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 02, 2014, 02:20:23 pm »

I think this card could see play. The drawback isn't likely to matter in the type of aggro deck it appears in. The type of deck this will appear in will probably lose if it goes past turn 7 or 8 anyways. So the fact that you might be out of cards when you lose isn't really an issue. That's a huge card for a 5 drop.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 02, 2014, 02:21:05 pm »

I think this card could see play. The drawback isn't likely to matter in the type of aggro deck it appears in. The type of deck this will appear in will probably lose if it goes past turn 7 or 8 anyways. So the fact that you might be out of cards when you lose isn't really an issue. That's a huge card for a 5 drop.
It seems worse at what Venture Co Mercenary does to me.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 02, 2014, 02:21:49 pm »

Thanks, I didn't realize we hadn't seen all of them yet. A lot of the new cards have some pretty crazy stuff going on.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 30  All

Page created in 0.727 seconds with 21 queries.