Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 30  All

Author Topic: New Expansion Speculation  (Read 157551 times)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: New Expansion Speculation
« Reply #325 on: November 30, 2014, 12:55:27 pm »

The Mage deck looks better, but I don't think Bomb Lobber is a constructed card.
The bomb lobber is like a cheaper Argent Commander. Unfortunately Sludge Belcher is super popular in constructed, so the bomb lobber is still not doing enough there. Maybe Azure drake works better there?

I have high hopes for Blast Mage though. And 5 attack is what you need against belchers.
I think the random targetting is a big deal.  But as you and zog kind of point out if you have a card like this that does an oddly specific amount of damage, you need to have a specific target in mind for it.  Argent Commander's prey used to be Azure Drake, but that's not the meta anymore.

EgorK

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 30, 2014, 01:31:58 pm »

So there is that big maintanance on Tuesday, and also last time Bliz dumped about half cards day before release, and we are through about half cards of expansion atm. On the other hand, releasing G&G same week raids will be opened in WoW is a little bit strange

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 30, 2014, 02:55:59 pm »

I thought Naxx was fully spoiled by release time?

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 30, 2014, 02:56:58 pm »

It was, yes
The Mage deck looks better, but I don't think Bomb Lobber is a constructed card.
The bomb lobber is like a cheaper Argent Commander. Unfortunately Sludge Belcher is super popular in constructed, so the bomb lobber is still not doing enough there. Maybe Azure drake works better there?

I have high hopes for Blast Mage though. And 5 attack is what you need against belchers.
I think the random targetting is a big deal.  But as you and zog kind of point out if you have a card like this that does an oddly specific amount of damage, you need to have a specific target in mind for it.  Argent Commander's prey used to be Azure Drake, but that's not the meta anymore.
Probably Loatheb should go in the 5 mana slot.

EgorK

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 30, 2014, 03:03:13 pm »

Yes, but half of cards were spoiled day before release

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: November 30, 2014, 03:47:33 pm »

Yes, but half of cards were spoiled day before release
I get it now.

Observation: running Gahzrilla instead of Dr. Boom in hunter can't pay off until turn 9 which is kinda when people should be dead already

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 01, 2014, 02:47:25 pm »
+1

Vote reveal: Bolvar Fordragon

http://www.hearthpwn.com/cards/12244-bolvar-fordragon

Paladin Legendary
5 Mana, 1/7
Whenever a friendly minion dies while this in your hand, gain +1 Attack.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 01, 2014, 02:48:38 pm »

Well, that's pretty unique. We've never seen a minion who's actual stats change permanently while it's in your hand. Edwin's boost does not persist across turns. So yeah another reason to use Muster for Battle.

Pretty steep requirement to have it in hand though. It's a dead card until turn 4-5. If you draw it around turn 4 or 5, you'd want to wait a little bit before playing it to boost it's attack, but at turns 7-8 it's less special.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 01, 2014, 02:48:47 pm »

So it changes in your hand? This is really strange, and it almost feels like another type of Giant.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 01, 2014, 02:54:19 pm »

Hooray for uniqueness!

Also hooray for Bolvar, who showed himself to be a much greater hero than Tirion.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 01, 2014, 02:58:29 pm »

Hooray for uniqueness!

Also hooray for Bolvar, who showed himself to be a much greater hero than Tirion.

A 5 cost card that you might not want to insta mulligan! That's exciting!

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 01, 2014, 03:03:56 pm »

Hooray for uniqueness!

A 5 cost card that you might not want to insta mulligan! That's exciting!
Keeping it in your hand is good if you're confident that the rest of your cards will allow you to play stuff on curve. So, a boost to aggro-dins for sure. I wonder if such a deck will want more cheap draw cards than usual, like Loot Hoarder. You know, to help draw Bolvar early.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 01, 2014, 03:06:23 pm »

That card is very cool. It toys with mulligan strategy in a big way, because there's a reason to have this card in your hand apart from wanting to play it, which is different than every other card in the game. It's also a card that can only be done on a computer, yet isn't gimmicky at all, and that's exciting.

As far as strength goes, it's hard to say. At 5 mana and with no immediate board impact, it's slow in a class that already suffers from speed issues. For straight value, you're okay if this comes out as at least 4/7 (3 minions died). At 6/7 (5 minions died), it's a Boulderfist Ogre for a 1 mana discount, which is nice but maybe still not so exciting in constructed, where Ogre is not played except in budget decks. The best use in constructed might be a deck designed to pump this up to huge values as a potential win condition. I can't imagine that working very often though, since BGH and silence both handle it nicely.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 01, 2014, 03:17:55 pm »

That card is very cool. It toys with mulligan strategy in a big way, because there's a reason to have this card in your hand apart from wanting to play it, which is different than every other card in the game. It's also a card that can only be done on a computer, yet isn't gimmicky at all, and that's exciting.

As far as strength goes, it's hard to say. At 5 mana and with no immediate board impact, it's slow in a class that already suffers from speed issues. For straight value, you're okay if this comes out as at least 4/7 (3 minions died). At 6/7 (5 minions died), it's a Boulderfist Ogre for a 1 mana discount, which is nice but maybe still not so exciting in constructed, where Ogre is not played except in budget decks. The best use in constructed might be a deck designed to pump this up to huge values as a potential win condition. I can't imagine that working very often though, since BGH and silence both handle it nicely.
Yeah it's kind of a tough sell. On the one hand silencing this minion is one less silence they can use on big threats like Tirion, but I don't see these 2 legendaries meshing well in the same deck. However, going for a rush deck with this puts pressure on the other player to react against smaller minions, and so the additional pressure exerted by this card could be tough to deal with if it comes out on turn 5-6.

I'm also wondering if there are good ways for Paladin to mitigate the damage done by having Bolvar silenced and being left with a 1/7. I'm not coming up with much.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #339 on: December 01, 2014, 03:27:13 pm »

The thing with Paladin aggro decks is that they don't want to have expensive cards stuck in their hands because that means they're getting less cards with Divine Favor. I don't think this is going to see much Constructed play at all.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 01, 2014, 04:28:44 pm »
+1

Something we're forgetting is that a Pally with this wants to play multiple minions per card when possible.  So, two Harvest Golems and two Oozes (2 minions), two Haunted Creepers (3 minions! [not 3! minions though]), the new spell was mentioned above that gives 3 minions... anything I'm forgetting?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 01, 2014, 04:30:25 pm »
+1

Something we're forgetting is that a Pally with this wants to play multiple minions per card when possible.  So, two Harvest Golems and two Oozes (2 minions), two Haunted Creepers (3 minions! [not 3! minions though]), the new spell was mentioned above that gives 3 minions... anything I'm forgetting?
I know they're weak, but Redemption and Noble Sacrifice pulled out from Mad Scientist.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 01, 2014, 08:53:02 pm »

I am always quick to say that a 2 drop that doesn't help you curve out is suspect, because that's part of a 2 drop's job (e.g. why Owl isn't as good as Spellbreaker).  A 5 drop that doesn't help you during topdeck mode has similar issues.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 01, 2014, 09:56:16 pm »

I am always quick to say that a 2 drop that doesn't help you curve out is suspect, because that's part of a 2 drop's job (e.g. why Owl isn't as good as Spellbreaker).  A 5 drop that doesn't help you during topdeck mode has similar issues.
It's a shame Paladin's Divine Favor works best with small minions. Borval is even less friendly to Jeeves. I'm still intrigued with the cards they've released for Paladin so far, this one included. At the very least, there is exploring and experimentation to be had.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 01, 2014, 10:32:45 pm »

I can't even enjoy the innovative mechanic because I'm still peeved by the grammatical incorrectness of cards like this and Gurubashi Beserker

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: December 01, 2014, 10:49:38 pm »

I can't even enjoy the innovative mechanic because I'm still peeved by the grammatical incorrectness of cards like this and Gurubashi Beserker
Not to mention Jeeves which blatantly lies about its effect. If they wanted to prevent infinite draw loops with the card or instant fatigue kill, they should have worked harder on the wording.

Maybe Donald. X has raised our standards about wording too high.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 02, 2014, 12:21:30 am »

Not to mention Jeeves which blatantly lies about its effect. If they wanted to prevent infinite draw loops with the card or instant fatigue kill, they should have worked harder on the wording.

Honestly I don't have a huge issue with it. I mean, the other option is "Draw the number of cards that would put you at 3 cards in hand." Or something like that. It just it's as simple to read. Sure there is the case of when your deck is empty. But for a game like hearthstone that wants to appeal to everyone, I don't think picky wording is a big issue for them.

Then again, they did have to reword the Naxx cards because the ommited the "random" part of certain cards. So they do over simplify wordings.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 02, 2014, 09:36:46 am »
+1

Honestly I don't have a huge issue with it. I mean, the other option is "Draw the number of cards that would put you at 3 cards in hand." Or something like that. It just it's as simple to read. Sure there is the case of when your deck is empty. But for a game like hearthstone that wants to appeal to everyone, I don't think picky wording is a big issue for them.

Then again, they did have to reword the Naxx cards because the ommited the "random" part of certain cards. So they do over simplify wordings.
That's not the only other option.  They can just make the card functionality match the effect and make it infinitely loop, since the interaction won't come up that much.  And casual players experience deckout games the least.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 09:37:55 am by popsofctown »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #348 on: December 02, 2014, 09:47:47 am »

That's not the only other option.  They can just make the card functionality match the effect and make it infinitely loop, since the interaction won't come up that much.  And casual players experience deckout games the least.

What would happen if it looped infinitely? A tie?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 02, 2014, 10:08:01 am »

What would happen if it looped infinitely? A tie?

First person to try to draw with no cards dies. You don't draw cards at the same time as each other.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 30  All

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 21 queries.