Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30  All

Author Topic: New Expansion Speculation  (Read 157472 times)

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
Re: New Expansion Speculation
« Reply #200 on: November 24, 2014, 11:09:27 am »

I think it's more that Yeti>River croc, and Water Elemental is a Yeti and the new thing is a River Croc.
With Water Elemental, its 3/6 stats are arguably even better than Yeti's 4/5, even ignoring the freeze. So yeah, River Croc plus freeze is not exciting. I expect it to only see constructed play in mech decks. (It will see play in Mage mech decks, like how River Croc saw play in Hunter before Naxx introduced Haunted Creeper.)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 11:10:30 am by blueblimp »

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 24, 2014, 12:59:10 pm »

Shaman gets a 3/2 for 2... with Windfury.
http://toucharcade.com/2014/11/24/exclusive-hearthstone-goblins-vs-gnomes-card-reveal-whirling-zap-o-matic/

Crazy. This outclasses every other windfury minion in the game by a huge margin. It's very nearly a pre-enraged Raging Worgen, and for 2 mana instead of 3.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 24, 2014, 01:19:17 pm »

http://toucharcade.com/2014/11/24/exclusive-hearthstone-goblins-vs-gnomes-card-reveal-whirling-zap-o-matic/

Crazy. This outclasses every other windfury minion in the game by a huge margin. It's very nearly a pre-enraged Raging Worgen, and for 2 mana instead of 3.

Oh man. I play so much Shaman, and this makes me happy. I'm feeling lots of people trying aggro Shaman without Mana Baddict this time.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 24, 2014, 01:29:04 pm »

So, uh, this confirms what I saw at the 5:00 min mark in this video:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JL8XxTzBLjo

I was confused as to why the internet wasn't talking about that.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 24, 2014, 01:34:27 pm »

I think it's more that Yeti>River croc, and Water Elemental is a Yeti and the new thing is a River Croc.
At least it's another card that can keep weapon users + druid in perpetual freeze. Plus, it's a mech to activate Goblin Blast mage. But meh, when attacking minions in turn 2-3 it's pretty much just River Croc. Kinda conflicts with the Sorceror's Apprentice + Mana Wyrm early game style.

I think there will be some interesting interactions with this where it can hit a 3 health minion and then you don't have to plan on finishing it off for a turn, but, probably a better Arena card than a Constructed one.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 24, 2014, 01:36:40 pm »

Oh, and here's that beast legendary that was being voted for:
Gahz'rila.

7 mana 6/9 beast
Whenever this minion takes damage, double its attack.

Call Pet looking better yet?

So even without the ability, this card's stats are totally on curve. The next step up after Highmane if so desired.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 01:39:46 pm by markusin »

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 24, 2014, 01:38:21 pm »

At least it's another card that can keep weapon users + druid in perpetual freeze. Plus, it's a mech to activate Goblin Blast mage. But meh, when attacking minions in turn 2-3 it's pretty much just River Croc. Kinda conflicts with the Sorceror's Apprentice + Mana Wyrm early game style.

I think there will be some interesting interactions with this where it can hit a 3 health minion and then you don't have to plan on finishing it off for a turn, but, probably a better Arena card than a Constructed one.
The same happens with frostbolt against 4 health minions sometimes, but usually you finish off the target outright with Frostbolt.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 24, 2014, 01:39:28 pm »

Oh man. I play so much Shaman, and this makes me happy. I'm feeling lots of people trying aggro Shaman without Mana Baddict this time.

Wowowowow that is such a good 2 drop. Comparing it to the minions that start with Windfury (of which only Worgen and Al'Akir are playable) that is a huge card. Can you imagine coining this out and then playing Flametongue Totem or Rockbiter weapon the next turn? So scary. Shaman aggro is definitely coming.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 24, 2014, 01:42:15 pm »
+2

Wowowowow that is such a good 2 drop. Comparing it to the minions that start with Windfury (of which only Worgen and Al'Akir are playable) that is a huge card. Can you imagine coining this out and then playing Flametongue Totem or Rockbiter weapon the next turn? So scary. Shaman aggro is definitely coming.
Man, why did they even make Dust Devil. This is like the pseudo Thief->Noble Brigand buff.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 24, 2014, 01:43:24 pm »

The same happens with frostbolt against 4 health minions sometimes, but usually you finish off the target outright with Frostbolt.

True, but this will sometimes leave you with a 2/1 or 2/2 minion after doing the freeze which frostbolt doesn't. It could maybe be used in Freeze Mage in Constructed?

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 24, 2014, 01:44:26 pm »

Man, why did they even make Dust Devil. This is like the pseudo Thief->Noble Brigand buff.
So true. I thought the same thing when I saw it.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 24, 2014, 01:56:03 pm »

Wow. A vanilla curved Windfury minion.

Although I think 2/3s are better than 3/2s in constructed and prefer 3/2 abilities that affect board instead of face (like Knife Juggler) on its good days, I think you have to jump on the hype train for the 3/2 windfury guy for sure.  Shieldbearer already fits and works rather well in a Shaman deck, and with this six damage swing potential here I think shamans will have little issue justifying Shieldbearer's inclusion to protect Whirler (shall we call it Whirler or Zappo?).

Zoo will get the biggest middle finger from Whirler and I love it.  A Shieldbearer - Whirler opening will be hard to get through with minions and Soulfire is the only removal that ignores taunt, and it's a bit "over costed" for removing Whirler.  Meanwhile the six damage is most relevant against Warlocks because they tap so much, and Shaman has some direct burn to finish the job.  (It'd rarely be only six, you run flametongue, probably Dwolf alpha, and rockbiter in this kind of deck.  Let alone the mech buffs).

Most of the other classes have spot removal to deal with a taunt-whirler opening, and most of the other classes have AoE later on to punish you for putting a 3/2 without immediate effects in your deck, so I think it will be balanced and not break the game.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 24, 2014, 02:13:59 pm »

Although I think 2/3s are better than 3/2s in constructed and prefer 3/2 abilities that affect board instead of face (like Knife Juggler) on its good days, I think you have to jump on the hype train for the 3/2 windfury guy for sure.  Shieldbearer already fits and works rather well in a Shaman deck, and with this six damage swing potential here I think shamans will have little issue justifying Shieldbearer's inclusion to protect Whirler (shall we call it Whirler or Zappo?).

Zoo will get the biggest middle finger from Whirler and I love it.  A Shieldbearer - Whirler opening will be hard to get through with minions and Soulfire is the only removal that ignores taunt, and it's a bit "over costed" for removing Whirler.  Meanwhile the six damage is most relevant against Warlocks because they tap so much, and Shaman has some direct burn to finish the job.  (It'd rarely be only six, you run flametongue, probably Dwolf alpha, and rockbiter in this kind of deck.  Let alone the mech buffs).

Most of the other classes have spot removal to deal with a taunt-whirler opening, and most of the other classes have AoE later on to punish you for putting a 3/2 without immediate effects in your deck, so I think it will be balanced and not break the game.

It's also a common. I'm going to craft 2 of these immediately when the expansion drops.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 24, 2014, 02:17:45 pm »

It's also a common. I'm going to craft 2 of these immediately when the expansion drops.
But commons are the most dust inefficient crafting target :(

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 24, 2014, 02:28:21 pm »

I'm not doing anything when the new expansion drops but waiting to see how they work it into Arena awards. I need to know if the gold I am currently accumulating is better spent buying packs or tickets. If Arena awards are going to randomly award the old card packs then I'll probably just buy packs.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 24, 2014, 02:29:32 pm »

But commons are the most dust inefficient crafting target :(

But that card is so good I want it immediately! I guess I'll still spend all my gold on packs first and see if I get it, but if I don't I will not wait to craft that card.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 24, 2014, 02:32:13 pm »

I'm not doing anything when the new expansion drops but waiting to see how they work it into Arena awards. I need to know if the gold I am currently accumulating is better spent buying packs or tickets. If Arena awards are going to randomly award the old card packs then I'll probably just buy packs.
Arena is supposed to only award the expansion packs once the expansion comes out. So, you're stuck buying regular packs if you want base set cards.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 24, 2014, 02:33:00 pm »

Thus dies my dream of cracking a second golden Faerie Dragon

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 24, 2014, 02:39:27 pm »

Yeah, this card is probably reasonable power in constructed, since there 3/2s are only used for their crazy effects. I guess my reaction was more thinking of arena, where you're already in a tough spot if you draw a poor opening hand against a raptor. Against this guy, if you can't remove it, you're going to take a huge amount of face damage very quickly. (Also, I forgot about Al'Akir, which is still the best windfury minion.)

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 24, 2014, 02:42:08 pm »

This is our town scrub.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 24, 2014, 03:04:09 pm »

3/2 windfury for 2 sounds way overtuned. If you don't have the removal, you take so much damage from this that you probably lose. If you do, then it's most likely a 1-for-1 trade anyways and that's okay too.

2/2 windfury for 2 would probably have been okay, compare to the 3 mana 2/3 windfury.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 24, 2014, 04:03:37 pm »

3/2 windfury for 2 sounds way overtuned. If you don't have the removal, you take so much damage from this that you probably lose. If you do, then it's most likely a 1-for-1 trade anyways and that's okay too.

2/2 windfury for 2 would probably have been okay, compare to the 3 mana 2/3 windfury.
It'a still far from broken though. With only 2 health, it's unlikely to kill 2 minions with its windfury. It just does some face damage at the same time. I'd be worried if there are shaman cards that buff mechs by turn 3 or 4.

So, no one has anything to say about that Hunter Legendary? It looks like it will strongly encourage midrange Hunter decks.

Edit: Ah wait, forgot about all those attack buff cards (Flametongue, Dire Wolf). Scary.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 04:09:55 pm by markusin »

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 24, 2014, 04:13:45 pm »

Arena is supposed to only award the expansion packs once the expansion comes out. So, you're stuck buying regular packs if you want base set cards.

I think you misunderstand. i want the new cards and I don't want to randomly get awarded old ones. I've not seen conclusive evidence that arena is strictly going to award new cards.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 24, 2014, 04:16:40 pm »

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 24, 2014, 04:20:11 pm »

So, no one has anything to say about that Hunter Legendary? It looks like it will strongly encourage midrange Hunter decks.

Might make Tundra Rhino see some more play? Currently there's not a lot of beasts that particularly need to charge, but this gives you some nice possibilities. Though it's not perfectly on curve. You could play turn 6 Rhino into turn 7 Godzilla (I'm just going to call it that) kill one of their larger minions and have a 12/something minion or just use him as a fireball to do 6 face damage that's hard to remove. (note he's just below BGH threshold).

This also might make more pings get put into hunter decks. Aggravating Godzilla with Arcane Shot/Elven Archer/Unstable Ghoul/Wild Pyromancer/Mad Bomber to do 12 (or 24?) damage instead of 6 seems so strong the game could easily be decided based on that damage hitting face.

I dunno, it looks like you have to build around him to make him good, but he definitely has the potential to kill someone in a single turn.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30  All

Page created in 2.414 seconds with 21 queries.