Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30  All

Author Topic: New Expansion Speculation  (Read 157554 times)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
Re: New Expansion Speculation
« Reply #125 on: November 17, 2014, 07:37:10 pm »

Sunwalker only costs 6...
And the argument is that it only gets played because it has the Taunt. There aren't many $6 Minions without a Battlecry, a Deathrattle or Taunt, and the ones that exist don't see a lot of play in Constructed.

I guess Charge and Divine Shield are also reasons to play more expensive Minions, but they're pretty rare on expensive Minions.
Argent Commander doesn't seem half bad in constructed. It can earn it's value at the very least.

It used to get played a lot until Sludge Belcher came into existence. Now that Sludge Belcher is in half the decks out there Argent Commander doesn't get nearly as much play.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 17, 2014, 07:51:54 pm »

And the argument is that it only gets played because it has the Taunt. There aren't many $6 Minions without a Battlecry, a Deathrattle or Taunt, and the ones that exist don't see a lot of play in Constructed.

I guess Charge and Divine Shield are also reasons to play more expensive Minions, but they're pretty rare on expensive Minions.
Argent Commander doesn't seem half bad in constructed. It can earn it's value at the very least.

It used to get played a lot until Sludge Belcher came into existence. Now that Sludge Belcher is in half the decks out there Argent Commander doesn't get nearly as much play.
Yup, Sludge Belchers kept posing a problem for me when I would run Argent Commander.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #127 on: November 17, 2014, 07:58:21 pm »

True, and that's because you get to do something before it dies to removal.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 17, 2014, 08:54:29 pm »

So, I've been looking at the comments about Ancestor's Call on other sites. The only combo that really stood out as plausible was summoning Malygos with it. Summon Malygos for 4 mana + Lightning Bolt to destroy the opposing minion or Lightning Storm/Forked Lightning to do a board wipe. This would require a totally different kind of Shaman deck than what is currently used.

This card might be playable if control Shaman was a thing. I can't see that happening though. Shaman has lots of removal, but not as good at maintaining health and card advantage as Warrior and Priest are.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 17, 2014, 09:13:29 pm »

Re: big creatures.

Yeah, Malygos doesn't win the game the turn you play it, and protecting it and/or creating a situation where it will survive, like by baiting removal, is part of the strategy you use when you play it.  My point is that doing something useful, and it doesn't have to even be as good as spell damage fan, it can be minor like an Emerald Drake rolling into your hand, something useful has to come out of a minion that costs 7+ mana.

I don't really think Ancient of War is a viable card.  It wasn't in the Reginald list I copied for tournament play, and I didn't run into it all that much the month I made legend.  Dying to removal is a serious issue for the card, and the only deck that Ancient of War does okay against is Zoo, but even Zoo variants with Power overwhelming can pseudo spot remove Ancient of War and beat you anyway.. but mostly the zoo variants aren't expecting it because they know Ancient of War is killing the rest of your matchup spread.

Sunwalker costs 1 less mana which is why it is barely viable.  With a little bit of power creep and development in the game we might not consider Sunwalker a viable card anymore in the future.

Re: Ancestor's Call. I'm cautiously optimistic since Show and Tell is tournament playable in Magic, and that's a similar card.  You choose what you get with that one, which is actually worse since an Ancestor's Call deck won't have cheap guys in it anyway, so only your opponent gets to benefit from picking and choosing.

Of course Magic doesn't have a hardcoded mana cap, so the cost of the available cards is limited by the developers' imaginations.  And I think it took time for enough expensive dudes to exist for it to be good.  But there's potential there.  It might be something that takes a while to become good.

For Ancestor's Call to work you need a backup plan if you don't draw Ancestor's Call and that seems like the trickier part than "is cheating out a Malygos for four mana good enough".  Alarm-o-bot is the only similar effect but Alarm-o-bot doesn't feel aggressively costed, 3 health is just not enough.  Far Sight wants to help, but your deck will have cards that cost less than 3 mana so Far Sight will still suck.  It looks like the best backup plan right now is spam spirit wolves and wait to hardcast but that might not be good enough, especially in a class with no ramp.

I'd be real excited if there's something else in the set to help out.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 17, 2014, 11:21:33 pm »

We're seeing a lot of interesting and new effects with these cards. I think the Dev team is trying to expand the variety of the decks we can see. This second expansion looks like it's opening a lot of possibilities while not introducing too many power cards. I hope future expansions build on some of the concepts introduced in earlier cards in order to create new viable decks.

At any rate, I expect arena to get a lot crazier. Arena is my favourite format, so I'm excited about that.

EgorK

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 18, 2014, 01:00:39 am »
+1

AoW is ramp druid card, so it's 7 mana cost is a little bit discounted by the fact it may be played turn 6 without innervate/turn 4 with it

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 18, 2014, 04:32:25 pm »

Two new cards: http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/16813374/goblins-vs-gnomes-mechs-11-18-2014

Both cards look really strong for Mech zoo/midrange type decks, and Fel Cannon should be good in Arena, too; it's a 3/5 with a pretty strong Mad Bomber-type effect. I suppose Fel Cannon is less good in Mech mirrors, though...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 04:33:29 pm by ycz6 »

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 18, 2014, 05:26:38 pm »

It looks like all the classes will have something neat to do with Mech Warper. For Warrior in particular, t2 Mech Warper into t3 Screwjank Clunker looks potent.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 18, 2014, 05:38:59 pm »

Mech tribal looks like it could be pretty strong. 

Will Mr. Bitey get the Mech type?

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2014, 05:52:12 pm »

Mech tribal looks like it could be pretty strong. 

Will Mr. Bitey get the Mech type?
I heard yes.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2014, 07:03:04 pm »

Took me a moment to notice that these are class minions. The cannon seems to break the trend of Warlock class cards being underpowered compared to other classes' cards, because in arena at least, this looks nearly as good as SI:7 Agent. Though the effect recurring is a bit of a pain because it'll make your next turn plays awkward if the cannon hasn't been removed. Screwjank Clunker is comparable to Houndmaster (but missing the taunt), although the 2/5 stats are more defense-oriented.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2014, 07:56:20 pm »

It's rare, so that's fair for arena.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2014, 08:23:50 am »

In arena flamecannon is good true. I don't except to see it constructed.
I still think I like frostbolt more due to the ability to hit face. However, it occurred to me that this card can become really good if Spider Tank ends up seeing a lot of play.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 19, 2014, 08:54:37 am »

Druid card. 2mana 2/2, Taunt. Choose one: +1attack or +1health.

Look great for arena, but Druid runs other things for constructed  usually. Wild growth, Wrath. Although it will still see tons of play regardless.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 19, 2014, 09:01:13 am »

Look great for arena, but Druid runs other things for constructed  usually. Wild growth, Wrath. Although it will still see tons of play regardless.
It was only a matter of time before we would see a card that's strictly superior to Frostwolf Grunt. Nice alternative to Power of the Wild.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 19, 2014, 11:04:55 am »

Pain! is better for control.  Not focusing on taunt is better for aggro. 

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 19, 2014, 12:56:33 pm »

A 2/3 taunt is nice for 2, but wouldn't play much differently from Unstable Ghoul. Only makes a difference against 2/2's, so that 's Dire wolf Alpha. Maybe better against Haunted Creeper depending on what other minions are out.

However, we haven't seen 3/2's with taunt before. That's cool because the minion it wants to trade up with can't bypass it and attack face. It can save you a bit of health that way.

I think the mech typing might be what really gives the card a competitive edge. We'll have to see if mech Druid becomes a thing.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 19, 2014, 01:22:00 pm »

Zog didn't say it was a mech.  Zog is a slouch

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 19, 2014, 01:39:34 pm »

Zog didn't say it was a mech.  Zog is a slouch

It's a mech

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 19, 2014, 02:21:07 pm »

Paladin card: http://www.levelup.com/articulos/294273/Revelamos-una-nueva-carta-de-Hearthstone-Goblins-contra-Gnomos

Cobalt Guardian. 5 mana 6/3 Mech: When a Mech is summoned, it (the Cobalt Guardian) gains Divine Shield.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 19, 2014, 03:10:28 pm »

I gotta do work to get a five mana 6/5?  No thanks. 
If you can untap with it you can give it divine shield then immediately ram it into stuff, but you might as well try to untap with an auctioneer if you want to win by untapping with low health stuff.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 19, 2014, 04:25:14 pm »

Other new pally card. 3 mana spell, summon 3 1/1 silver hand recruits, and a 1/4 weapon.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 19, 2014, 05:01:29 pm »

That's funny, it's like getting five hero power activations, two of them rogue, for 3 mana.

It's the best token strategy card that's been given so far and I think Pally could very well have enough token support to make it work.  Avenge gives a pretty decent reward for having lots of dudes, equality synergizes well with 1/1 dudes, and then there's Knife Juggler and Frostwolf Warlord and all the other neutral token support.  If you have a couple spiders to survive board wipes I think a deck like that could be going places.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 19, 2014, 05:18:07 pm »

Yeah, and I imagine that there will be some other new cards coming out that will support a strategy like that. I could see this being a thing. Maybe not the best thing, but a thing nonetheless.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30  All

Page created in 1.373 seconds with 21 queries.