Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: The "wait, you can DO that?!?!!" thread  (Read 44584 times)

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
The "wait, you can DO that?!?!!" thread
« on: November 09, 2014, 08:16:31 pm »

(Ela started another trend thread? Really?)

Nobutsrsly. What kind of "discoveries" have you made about cards and combos and stuff that, for want of a better phrase, blew your mind?

Like, I was amazed when I realized that Bridges activate before buy phase, meaning that you could Ironworks a Duchy or Mine a Copper into a Gold with enough actions.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
Re: The "wait, you can DO that?!?!!" thread
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 08:17:41 pm »
+2

or knight trash your enemy provinces!
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 08:22:57 pm »

Dude, Bridge is a freaking miracle. Does Highway do that too?
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2467
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 08:24:53 pm »

Yes

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9416
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 08:26:52 pm »

Highway, then IW a Highway is quite well-known.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 08:37:25 pm »
+3

In Gokodom III Mic_Qsenoch crushed me with hermit/scheme, I definitely learned something there. Then later in a league match I won with it, and my opponent needed quite a bit to be convinced that you could do that. That's the best example I can think of this.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 08:49:18 pm »

In Gokodom III Mic_Qsenoch crushed me with hermit/scheme, I definitely learned something there. Then later in a league match I won with it, and my opponent needed quite a bit to be convinced that you could do that. That's the best example I can think of this.

wait can you play it and not buy anything to get a madman but still get the hermit back on your deck or something?
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 09:00:48 pm »

wait can you play it and not buy anything to get a madman but still get the hermit back on your deck or something?
yes, exactly

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 09:02:10 pm »
+4

yes, exactly

wait you can DO that?!?!!

thats crazy! Now I really want this to happen in a game.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 09:08:15 pm »
+1

yes, exactly

Is that as intended, or a mechanic implementation flaw?

Hermit, upon being discarded from play following no buys, trashes itself and gains a Madman. I can understand that Scheme would step in before "When you discard this from play", but then wouldn't it also prevent the rest from happening? And even if it didn't, why would it prevent the "trash this", but not the "and gain a Madman..."?
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9416
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 09:19:33 pm »
+2

yes, exactly

Hermit, upon being discarded from play following no buys, trashes itself and gains a Madman. I can understand that Scheme would step in before "When you discard this from play", but then wouldn't it also prevent the rest from happening? And even if it didn't, why would it prevent the "trash this", but not the "and gain a Madman..."?

The "if" is only on the "you bought no cards," not on the "discard this from play."  There's also no "if you did [trash this]."  So yeah, clean up Scheme, dump Hermit on top, clean up Hermit, gain a Madman if you bought no cards, try to trash the Hermit... whoops, nothing there, forget it.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 09:29:29 pm »

why would it prevent the "trash this", but not the "and gain a Madman..."?

Because "trash this" is moving this from one place to another, which can't be done because it's lost track of itself. It's expecting to be in play, but it's not. Gain a Madman doesn't require knowing where hermit is.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10725
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 09:53:45 pm »
+1

My favorite maneuver is: on turn 1 or 2, buy Estate, trash Hovel, discard Market Square, gain Gold.

EDIT: Whoops, turn 3 or 4, not 1 or 2.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 11:03:33 pm by LastFootnote »

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 09:54:34 pm »

My favorite maneuver is: on turn 1 or 2, buy Estate, trash Hovel, discard Market Square, gain Gold.

:O

I'm so sure i've had this opportunity before and never noticed it.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 10:06:27 pm »
+1

How do you have a market square in your hand already...?
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2014, 10:09:22 pm »
+1

I assume he means turn 3/4.

KC-feast is another one that surprised me a while ago I think. Also combos with highway or bridge.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10725
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2014, 11:03:53 pm »

I assume he means turn 3/4.

Yes, this is it. Sorry for the typo.

:O

I'm so sure i've had this opportunity before and never noticed it.

It's only worth it if you also have some other way to quickly activate Market Squares, but it's a nice bit of insurance for the inevitable Copper/Copper/Hovel/Overgrown Estate/Market Square hands.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 11:05:20 pm by LastFootnote »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4453
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 01:53:03 am »
+1

yes, exactly

Neither one, I think? That is, Donald didn't intend that combo and apparently didn't notice that combo till after Dark Ages was published, but it's the correct interpretation of the rules and not a Goko bug.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12898
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2014, 02:02:05 am »
+4

The Hermit thing also works with Prince.

A while ago, I was surprised that I could trash an OGE (which was the last card in my hand) and reveal the Market Square that I drew. Technically I was aware of this, but it's so rare that it surprised me anyway. And my opponent, who then proceeded to call me a cheater.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2859
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2014, 02:25:36 am »
+6

Fool's Gold triggers whenever another player gains a Province, it doesn't have to bought and it doesn't have to be their turn. So, you can play Swindler, and if it hits their Province, you can trigger your FG that turn after giving them a replacement Province.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2014, 02:33:58 am »

A while ago, I was surprised that I could trash an OGE (which was the last card in my hand) and reveal the Market Square that I drew. Technically I was aware of this, but it's so rare that it surprised me anyway. And my opponent, who then proceeded to call me a cheater.

does this work with apprentice market square combo? where if I trash a gold and pickup market squares I can discard those?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12898
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2014, 02:42:05 am »

does this work with apprentice market square combo? where if I trash a gold and pickup market squares I can discard those?

No. You can resolve on-trash effects in any order you want, that's why it works when you trash OGE, Rats or Cultist, but Apprentice doesn't draw any cards until you've already resolved all of the on-trash effects and then you can't resolve more.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2014, 02:46:13 am »
+1

No. You can resolve on-trash effects in any order you want, that's why it works when you trash OGE, Rats or Cultist, but Apprentice doesn't draw any cards until you've already resolved all of the on-trash effects and then you can't resolve more.

got it. learning so much!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2014, 02:52:21 am »
+5

You always have to watch out for Potion cards in combination with trash for benefit cards.

You can Upgrade a Familiar into a Golem (exactly 1 Coin more), Remodel a University into an Estate (up to 2 Coins more means you can get anything from $0 to $4P) and Forge 2 Familiars into a Gold (just cares about the Coins).

And with Stonemason, you can overpay 2P to get 2 Scrying Pools for instance.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2014, 03:06:03 am »
+1

got it. learning so much!

But you could hypothetically trash OGE, reveal MS to gain gold, then draw the card from OGE, causing you to re-shuffle and pick up the MS you just discarded, and discard it a second time for another gold.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 2.354 seconds with 20 queries.