Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: What are the worst cards you can draw out of the Black Market?  (Read 7998 times)

cherdano

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
Re: What are the worst cards you can draw out of the Black Market?
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2011, 10:49:09 am »

Minion has to be an honorable mention. It's not a bad draw obviously, but compared to how dominant Minions are when they come in numbers, it's quite a letdown...

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2011, 05:51:49 pm »

minion isn't a let down. Sure you can't chain them for endless movement and +coin, but on the other hand they complement far too many strategies too well to be close to horrid. For instance they help limited draw strategies quite a bit by allowing both an action neutral +coin disappearing card and cycling to hit the key combo cards more easily. They also work well with menagerie engines and TR/KC chaining.

Jester is still pretty good, it takes a pretty long time before odds of hitting black market buys top even 25%. being the only possible cursing attack can be huge.

It is pretty rare where a unique attack is low on my list of things I'd like to get from the BM.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2011, 08:22:09 pm »

Oasis is often useless. Very board-dependent though.

Wishing Well, Wood Cutter, http://dominionstrategy.com/2011/01/13/the-five-worst-3-cards/ for reference.

"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

Elyv

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2011, 08:31:53 pm »
+1

Wishing Well is not a particularly good card, but it's remarkably underrated.

It's also not particularly bad to pull out of the BM.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2011, 10:29:42 am »
+1

I understood theory's question to be about cards that are worse to get from the Black Market than from a supply pile.  So just listing the worst cards in the game misses the point.

I'd say Minion is at least an honorable mention, since even though, yes, a single copy can be very good, it's a lot worse when you get it out of the Black Market as opposed to a supply pile.  Wishing Well also qualifies, since a Black Market deck is a whole lot less likely to be conducive to Wishing Well, as you potentially have several unique cards instead of multiple copies of a small number.

My thoughts:  Treasure Map, Peddler, and Fool's Gold are the big ones, in that order, followed closely by Trading Post and Chapel just because those cards are a whole lot less effective if you don't get them before turn 5.

I disagree that pulling a Fairgrounds from the Black Market is all that bad.  In a Black Market deck, a single Fairgrounds is likely to be at least as good as a single Province, only cheaper and not available to your opponent.  Seems like a pretty sweet deal to me.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2011, 04:18:26 pm »

Tactician is great because of BM/Tactician, but it's not as good as having it in the supply would be since the real point of BM/Tactician is to have two Tacticians, and thus play one every turn.

Conspirator and City another two that are still worth buying, but kinda meh without spam potential. And on a lot of boards I would skip the city because there's no guarantee of it not being a village all game, especially since a lot of Black Market strategies involve keeping a small deck so you can play one lucky draw a lot of times. Familiar is only probably worth it if there are no other cursers in the supply or no villages and too many terminals. Alchemist - pass.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.917 seconds with 21 queries.