Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: What are the worst cards you can draw out of the Black Market?  (Read 7996 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
What are the worst cards you can draw out of the Black Market?
« on: December 16, 2011, 10:31:24 am »
+1

Treasure Map leaps to mind.  As does Peddler.  What else?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Re: What are the worst cards you can draw out of the Black Market?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 10:39:09 am »
+1

Fool's Gold.

mnavratil

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 10:43:06 am »

Not as bad as fool's gold or treasure map; but most of the build-your-strategy around these type victory cards are pretty bad (duke, gardens). Though admittedly they COULD be useful late game, a single copy is not very good.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 10:44:40 am »

Native Village and Stash are both pretty useless with just one copy.

Also most Potion-cost cards, as you don't often buy a Potion with the hopes of getting a Potion-cost out of the BM, so it's hard to afford them.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 10:55:54 am »

Duchess.  If they come free with Duchies, it seems kinda silly to have to pay for it in this instance. 

Also less so, but perhaps Smugglers or Workshop if you're playing a game dominated by Potion cost cards.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 11:38:45 am »

Potion cost cards in a setup with no Potion-cost cards.

Elyv

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 11:53:04 am »

Potion cost cards in a setup with no Potion-cost cards.
isotropic, at least, won't let that happen.

On topic, cards like ironworks which are better in the early game.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 12:15:50 pm »
+1

Native Village and Stash are both pretty useless with just one copy.

Also most Potion-cost cards, as you don't often buy a Potion with the hopes of getting a Potion-cost out of the BM, so it's hard to afford them.

You might be quite happy to find Native Village if there's no village in the Kingdom.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 12:19:43 pm »

In order of decreasing likelihood of annoyance:
1. Treasure map
2. Peddler (though a self-replacing copper isn't bad if I've already gotten the price down to 2 or 0)
3. Potion cost cards (on a board where I have no reason to go potion)
4. Alternate victory-only cards - garden, fairground, duke, silk road all are pretty lousy except at the very end when they might give you a couple of more points than you could otherwise nab.
5. Reactions - because with few exceptions they are generally bad and really suck late game when odds are low of having them in hand. Not to mention that a lot of boards aren't big on attacks (or worse are ones where I want to be attacked).
6. Villages - because there are rarely situations where just one village will make my deck significantly stronger, and if another source of +action is out there, I'm likely already using it if multiple terminals are good (though the case of using TR or KC as "+action" would be an exception).

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 12:20:05 pm »

If there's no Village in the kingdom I wouldn't have bought a Black Market and if I had it would only have been because it contained cursing attacks or Tournament or some other game-changing card. Village does not qualify.

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +597
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 12:27:51 pm »

Cellar, when Warehouse is on the board.

Rules query: if you buy Young Witch from the Black Market deck, am I right to assume that there's no Bane card?  Or does Young Witch's presence in the Black Market deck generate a Bane card at game startup?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 12:30:20 pm »

If there's no Village in the kingdom I wouldn't have bought a Black Market and if I had it would only have been because it contained cursing attacks or Tournament or some other game-changing card. Village does not qualify.

At least on Iso, you don't know what the Black Market contains until you purchase one. And I definitely don't think Black Market is a bad buy unless there are no Villages. What if it is the only good terminal?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

mnavratil

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 12:32:52 pm »

On Iso you can see what's in the black market in the Info button (it lists all the cards). As a side note, does the black market buy phase count for Peddler? I mean technically it's still your action phase. I don't think I have ever seen a peddler in the BM before (that I can remember) and have no actual point of reference.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 12:32:59 pm »
+1

At least on Iso, you don't know what the Black Market contains until you purchase one. And I definitely don't think Black Market is a bad buy unless there are no Villages. What if it is the only good terminal?

You want to try the info button ;)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 12:33:05 pm »

Cellar, when Warehouse is on the board.

Rules query: if you buy Young Witch from the Black Market deck, am I right to assume that there's no Bane card?  Or does Young Witch's presence in the Black Market deck generate a Bane card at game startup?

The rules clarify somewhere, if you have Young Witch in the Black Market, you add a Bane card to the Kingdom. Same with if you have Trade Route in the Black Market; you add the tokens to the victory piles.

play2draw

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 12:33:44 pm »

Mountebank, because then your opponents will be convinced that you only won because you got the Mountebank and your friends won't want to play with the Black Market ever again.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 12:33:51 pm »

On Iso you can see what's in the black market in the Info button (it lists all the cards). As a side note, does the black market buy phase count for Peddler? I mean technically it's still your action phase. I don't think I have ever seen a peddler in the BM before (that I can remember) and have no actual point of reference.

Peddler in the BM costs $8. Always.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 12:34:22 pm »

Thanks!!! This newfound knowledge could very well improve my play. :)

Peddler always costs $8 while playing Black Market. It's not your buy phase.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 12:34:29 pm »

Not true. You can see what's in the BM deck on Iso by clicking the info button. Also, it can't be the only good terminal, because it's not a good terminal ;)
And yeah, double ninja'd but I don't really care.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 12:34:51 pm »

2. Peddler (though a self-replacing copper isn't bad if I've already gotten the price down to 2 or 0)

But Peddler's special only activates during your Buy phase, so the cost in the BM deck is always $8.

A lot of these are situational though.  Tunnel on a board with no discarding.  Scout when you've trashed all your green.  Library when you have a Caravan or Wharf chain going.  Feast with no $5s in play.  Gardens in a heavy trashing game.  Etc.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 12:36:10 pm »

I just want to say... I enjoyed being a part of that huge ninja-fest we just had when all of us tried to post the same couple of things all at the same time. Thanks.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 12:37:15 pm »

Mountebank, because then your opponents will be convinced that you only won because you got the Mountebank and your friends won't want to play with the Black Market ever again.

Also for your Opponents - Masquerade and Ambassador.  The best defense against these is to get the card yourself, and if they can't do that, they're screwed, and will hate you.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

barsooma

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 01:00:43 pm »

Peddler in the BM costs $8. Always.
Quarry?  :P

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 01:08:54 pm »

Peddler doesn't have its cost reduced by +actions, true, but bridges, highways, quarries, and the odd princess do apply. Given that these things all make good combos for effective +buys, it isn't unreasonable to combo them with BM to make for a 2 or 0 coin peddler. I mean honestly, I think half of my good BM games have involved quarries.

TheMathProf

• Scout
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2011, 09:35:11 am »

While Jester's probably not a terrible card to draw out of the Black Market, it loses some of its ability to litter your opponent's deck with bad cards or fill your own deck with good cards when they keep hitting cards purchased from the Black Market deck.  I certainly prefer it less from the Black Market than when it's in the supply, despite its potential curse-giving ability.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 1.796 seconds with 21 queries.